Vols Defeat Belmont, 2-1, in Fall Scrimmage Action

VN News

Tennessee fans got their first look at the 2016-17 Vol Baseball team on Friday night at Lindsey Nelson Stadium, as the Volunteers took a 2-1 win over the Belmont Bruins in fall scrimmage action.

More...

Discuss.

Reactions: 1 person
The pitching staff dominated for the most part. Neeley, Warren, stallings, lingenfelter, Schultz and Darling all looked very good. Lipinski struggled over his 2 innings of work. I remember two errors, one by Derkay at first base and one by Jordan Rogers at third. Hitting was just ok. Pete Derkay had a bomb to right center for his 1st collegiate HR. Looked like they missed a couple of hit and run plays which made the base runners look bad. Outfield looked very solid. Santiago hit good and his arm looked even better than last year behind the plate.

Spoke to my scout buddy again who told me the freshmen pitchers will be dominant over the next few years. He mentioned all of them and said he thought they had the chance to be the best freshmen staff in the SEC. With the 4 freshmen that pitched tonight and the 2 injured lefties, I am very excited as well for the future of our staff. One of the coaches at the golf tournament told me that Heflin will be back for the spring and has looked good in the bullpen this fall and that Walsh has TJ surgery next week on his elbow. He said he was extremely impressive before his injury a few weeks ago. Serrano will have so many more options this year that he didn't have last season out of the pen and the starting rotation. Not sure where some of the upperclassmen that pitched last season will fit in to all of this. However, competition makes everyone better.

I was hoping to see Brandon Chinea play but he sprained his ankle and wasn't available. All in all I thought it was a great start and makes me excited for 2017!

Reactions: 2 people
The pitching staff dominated for the most part. Neeley, Warren, stallings, lingenfelter, Schultz and Darling all looked very good. Lipinski struggled over his 2 innings of work. I remember two errors, one by Derkay at first base and one by Jordan Rogers at third. Hitting was just ok. Pete Derkay had a bomb to right center for his 1st collegiate HR. Looked like they missed a couple of hit and run plays which made the base runners look bad. Outfield looked very solid. Santiago hit good and his arm looked even better than last year behind the plate.

Spoke to my scout buddy again who told me the freshmen pitchers will be dominant over the next few years. He mentioned all of them and said he thought they had the chance to be the best freshmen staff in the SEC. With the 4 freshmen that pitched tonight and the 2 injured lefties, I am very excited as well for the future of our staff. One of the coaches at the golf tournament told me that Heflin will be back for the spring and has looked good in the bullpen this fall and that Walsh has TJ surgery next week on his elbow. He said he was extremely impressive before his injury a few weeks ago. Serrano will have so many more options this year that he didn't have last season out of the pen and the starting rotation. Not sure where some of the upperclassmen that pitched last season will fit in to all of this. However, competition makes everyone better.

I was hoping to see Brandon Chinea play but he sprained his ankle and wasn't available. All in all I thought it was a great start and makes me excited for 2017!

Thanks for the info, I am looking forward to seeing what this pitching staff can do.

Reactions: 1 person
seems some usual suspects were involved in a good win...Brodie, Jordy, Benito, doing some hitting and little Willy Neely and Zachy doing some pretty good pitching...love it when a plan comes together...don't have the foggiest what kind of season we'll have, but it should be crazy again...:)

GO BIG ORANGE...BEAT BAMA!

Agree with Zach and took the words right out of my mouth. The 2-1 score is misleading, more innings were played where UT busted the game wide open.

IMO if the staff from last night was on the mound last year our SEC record would have been flip flopped...get ready for the "Freshman Invasion" this spring!

Once again, scoring runs will be the issue. Defense will be more than adeaquate and pitching will be deep if the injury bug doesn't get us and the injured guys come back strong.

The top 20 ranking of our Freshman class is an understatement. I've been around for a bit and they are studs!!! Stay safe and healthy my friends....

Freshman got a lot of play, even early on .

Belmont was late to the park but they played well too.

Great weather. Wish more could have been there.

Scoreboard was not operational as it must have been unplugged as it is being replaced.

a Good portion the top half of the RF wall was gone. Maybe for the scoreboard work I guess

Sounded like the speakers had been upgraded. The music was very annoying, but I am now 45 so that may be a product of my age.

Freshman got a lot of play, even early on .

Belmont was late to the park but they played well too.

Great weather. Wish more could have been there.

Scoreboard was not operational as it must have been unplugged as it is being replaced.

a Good portion the top half of the RF wall was gone. Maybe for the scoreboard work I guess

Sounded like the speakers had been upgraded. The music was very annoying, but I am now 45 so that may be a product of my age.

The new bullpen (under construction) will be behind the right field wall. I imagine they will place netting or some type off plexiglass there.

I agree with Zach summary. Spot on. One other detail that everyone may already know but I thought was especially positive for the pitching performance...all pitches from UT pitchers were fastball or change up. No breaking balls allowed in fall. Really looking forward to seeing this team when the gloves come off.

VN Store

Back