Senzel: Second Overall Draft Pick by Cincinnati

VN News

University of Tennessee infielder Nick Senzel was selected by the Cincinnati Reds in the first round (second overall pick) of the 2016 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft.

More...

Discuss.

Reactions: 1 person
Dakota Hudson goes 5th. That's 2 Tennessee guys within 2 hours of campus going in the Top 5 and if not for UGA's coach resigning, then neither of them would have played for us.

Dakota Hudson goes 5th. That's 2 Tennessee guys within 2 hours of campus going in the Top 5 and if not for UGA's coach resigning, then neither of them would have played for us.

It looks like Corey ray went fifth and I see no mention of a Dakota but I could be wrong

While enduring a crappy season as a Reds fan, this lifted my spirits. Hopefully he makes it to Cincy soon and reps the Vols well.

Reactions: 3 people
Chris Burke ‏@ChrisBurke02 3h3 hours ago
Congrats to @LilSenzii on being the highest position player pick in @Vol_Baseball history. What an honor, proud of you!

Not correct. Hudson slid all the way to 34th to the Cards. A bit shocking to many.

Chris Burke ‏@ChrisBurke02 3h3 hours ago
Congrats to @LilSenzii on being the highest position player pick in @Vol_Baseball history. What an honor, proud of you!

Im assuming he said position player because didnt Hochevar get selected first overall? Either way good for Nick.

Im assuming he said position player because didnt Hochevar get selected first overall? Either way good for Nick.

Yeah, we've kind of gone over it already. Technically, Hochevar wasn't on the UT Roster in 2006 when he was picked #1. He was drafted the year before at #40 and could never reach an agreement, he had hired Scott Boras, same guy handling Senzel...so he couldn't come back to school, he played in an independent league in 2006, went through the draft again and went #1 overall. So I guess that's the confusion.

Reactions: 2 people
Not correct. Hudson slid all the way to 34th to the Cards. A bit shocking to many.

Correct, my bad. I saw Hudson listed as 5th best available as I was scanning the bottom of the channel.

So that would make 3 players in the top 34 from the state and 1 of them played for us.

Dang, Nicky gonna make a little money...way to go Nick and thanks for being a Vol...enjoyed it bud...:rock:

GO BIG ORANGE!

Listened to Simcox on the radio yesterday talk about Nick. Hard to believe he didn't make the Farragut team as a freshman.

Also, I'm sure I knew this, but I guess I had forgotten he walked on at Tennessee his freshman year.

Good story.

Listened to Simcox on the radio yesterday talk about Nick. Hard to believe he didn't make the Farragut team as a freshman.

Also, I'm sure I knew this, but I guess I had forgotten he walked on at Tennessee his freshman year.

Good story.

Yes, it's a wonderful story of resolve. His Dad had to work in Europe for two years before high school. Nick didn't get to play baseball at all during those years. Had to work his butt off to catch up when he returned.

Yes, it's a wonderful story of resolve. His Dad had to work in Europe for two years before high school. Nick didn't get to play baseball at all during those years.

Simcox talked about that too. Crazy to think about.

Simcox talked about that too. Crazy to think about.

I've heard several analysts suggest he was the most likely person in this draft to make it to the majors first.

With his work ethic, I think he could be something really special. I look forward to following.

Anybody have any idea how much weight Senzel put on between his sophomore and junior year? He went to Cape Cod looking like an athletic college kid. Came back looking like a man.

Last edited:
Very surprising that Scott Boras would agree to a settlement of $1.5 million below the slotted value, especially this early.

VN Store

Back