Serrano on SportsTalk yesterday: USA Baseball, injuries, draft, etc.

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I heard Serrano on Sports Talk yesterday.

"I'm very fortunate to be able to continue on as the leader of this program."

"I'm honored that there was some things that were seen about us that were positive, for the opportunity to continue on to build this program back up."

Serrano spoke about his decision to skip USA baseball and to continue to recruit and build the program to where it needs to be. He did mention, however, that he's going for ten days while they put the team together -- because of his commitment to them and to not leave them high and dry -- up until they leave the country. He said it was an easy decision but it was a difficult decision.

Listening to him talk, it really sounds like he knows he's been given another chance, when his results on the field maybe didn't warrant it. He sounded very thankful and appreciative, for whatever that's worth, and understands the urgency of getting things turned around immediately.

On the injured guys:

Jeff Moberg is committed to coming back. Tennessee is going to do some things with his scholarship to help him out with the financial burdens, since he's going into grad school.

Jacob Westphal is on his way to the Cape Cod League, it might only be for the first month, but he just needs to get some innings in. He looks great.

Kyle Serrano was cleared on Friday (whatever that means exactly). The doctor is thrilled with his progress, but he's still a couple months away from picking up a baseball. He's committed to coming back to school, but said he wouldn't rule out turning pro if he happened to fall into a good spot financially.

Serrano said he'd be shocked if Nick Senzel doesn't go second or third in the draft. He also thinks Nick should get a look at shortstop in the pros.

If Jordan Rodgers comes back, he'll be moved from 1B to somewhere that will help him in moving toward the MLB, such as back to 3B or RF/LF.

Serrano said he was visiting Zach Linginfelter last night.

As for summer ball, Serrano mentioned Jon Lipinski (focused on working out and getting stronger to try to get some velocity back) and Eric Freeman (summer internship) as two who aren't participating this year.

Reactions: 8 people
Thanks for info. Coach Serrano knows the situation very well. Skipping USA baseball is a good decision, I believe. Sure glad to hear Moberg is coming back. Jordy, you better bring your butt back...need ya' bud. Kyle will probably be back. Just don't see him going high enough for him to bolt, but we'll see. Here's to a productive summer for the Big Orange!

GBO!

Reactions: 1 person
If Serrano can recruit top pitching prospects then develop them our program would be a contender . . . our position and role players have been great! I hope that he can pull together a really good recruiting class for the upcoming season . . .

I do like Serrano and believe that he needs more than just one more year, the SEC is loaded with top programs.

GBO

Reactions: 4 people
I have not followed baseball very closely but I would be shocked if we have a guy over there that goes in the top 3 picks and most people in Knoxville don't know that he exists.

I have not followed baseball very closely but I would be shocked if we have a guy over there that goes in the top 3 picks and most people in Knoxville don't know that he exists.

You are going to be shocked then. Top 10 is a certainty

You are going to be shocked then. Top 10 is a certainty

I said shocked if he is top 3 which I predict he will not be.

It's still kinda surprising that we have a guy that is a top 10 caliber player that has played over on the hill and nobody knows he exists.

It's still kinda surprising that we have a guy that is a top 10 caliber player that has played over on the hill and nobody knows he exists.

It's sad, really it just goes to show how few, including the school give a crap about baseball. If Nick was a football player the SID and AD would be having a Heisman Campaign and people would be naming their firstborn daughters "Nickie" :).

A top 10 guy deserves just as much hoopla as a top 3 guy IMO

Huge profile either way

My guess is NS will go #2 if he is willing to cut a $ saving deal which is huge for that organization signing their other guys. I would be shocked if Bourus goes for that

Huge profile either way

My guess is NS will go #2 if he is willing to cut a $ saving deal which is huge for that organization signing their other guys. I would be shocked if Bourus goes for that

I have a hard time believing he's a top ten guy. I looked up a mock draft and he was 9. Amazing someone that good is on campus and nobody knows it.

Guess our program is a doormat.

I have a hard time believing he's a top ten guy. I looked up a mock draft and he was 9. Amazing someone that good is on campus and nobody knows it.

Guess our program is a doormat.

He abused the top college pitching prospect in this year's draft and next year's draft in a span on 7-8 days.

The fact that you don't follow baseball is now very evident.

Reactions: 3 people

Huge profile either way

Agreed. The difference between 2 and 10 may or may not be talent so much as what the organization needs and what deals the teams/players are willing to cut on the front end.

The way the MLB does it where you don't see teams trade draft picks very often like in the other leagues can really change how things shake out. It makes it very difficult to nail down who is going where.

Awesome to have a Vol drafted that high. Like I said I don't follow the team. I listen to games while I work in the yard.

My assumption on NS was simply based on the fact that he is playing at UT and I couldn't pick the guy out of a lineup. It's just hard to imagine we have a guy that good on campus and nobody knows he exists.

Wow. Took a lot of guts for you to come on here after the draft and bump this. Funny you didn't say anything before he was picked.

Not sure about that particular poster but there have been many posters on here and other sites saying Senzel was going Top 5 and confident of it.

Senzel is a big time player and it is beyond ridiculous he wasn't SEC POY and not even 1st team SEC.

Awesome to have a Vol drafted that high. Like I said I don't follow the team. I listen to games while I work in the yard.

My assumption on NS was simply based on the fact that he is playing at UT and I couldn't pick the guy out of a lineup. It's just hard to imagine we have a guy that good on campus and nobody knows he exists.

Well, it's not exactly like NO ONE knows...plenty here knew at the end of last summer that he was going to go high, maybe not #2, but definitely first round and better than Stewart who went in the first round last year if he just kind of maintained what he was doing. Of course, at the moments that mattered most this season, for scouts, he rose to the occasion and he's been considered a top 10 pick almost all season.

I agree with your over all premise, it's a shame most people didn't realize we had a guy that was worth the price of admission on his own regardless of what the team does. He had some great moments this season and when he dove into the opposing team's dugout and made that play when we were up big, everybody watching knew he was going in the Top 5, you just don't see many guys go all out when an injury could make them drop in the draft, but he did it. Everybody wants a guy like that.

I'm glad I got to watch him play the last three years.

Wow. Took a lot of guts for you to come on here after the draft and bump this. Funny you didn't say anything before he was picked.

Lol. Read a few other threads and you'll see what I said. This kid is special.

VN Store

Back