No team USA

BruinVol

@Vol_Baseball: SERRANO: (On summer) As much of an honor as it is to be a part of USA Baseball, I've decided to stay home & continue to recruit for the Vols

Reactions: 2 people
@Vol_Baseball: SERRANO: (On summer) As much of an honor as it is to be a part of USA Baseball, I've decided to stay home & continue to recruit for the Vols

WOW! That's unbelievable. That's commitment right there.

He is not "committed" he just knows he is fighting for his job right now and spending time away from the program to coach team USA would not be wise.

Reactions: 1 person

Sounds like a man trying to fix his ailing program, and keep his job. With the draft coming up and several verbals making final decisions from it, he doesn't have time to be away.

And to be honest, it seems involvement in the olympic games is not what it once was in a lot of folks eyes anymore. Forgive me if I am not sharing your awe in this decision.

He is not "committed" he just knows he is fighting for his job right now and spending time away from the program to coach team USA would not be wise.

Because he's committed to trying to save his job here? :)

Because he's committed to trying to save his job here? :)

Honestly I have always thought only the college World Series coaches can afford to miss the summer recruiting cycle IMO but this decision really won't matter much with his job.

This summer is more about recruiting a few more 2017s kids and a bunch of 2018 kids.

It won't help or hurt with next years team, which decides his fate, IMO

Honestly I have always thought only the college World Series coaches can afford to miss the summer recruiting cycle IMO but this decision really won't matter much with his job.

This summer is more about recruiting a few more 2017s kids and a bunch of 2018 kids.

It won't help or hurt with next years team, which decides his fate, IMO

Typically true however this summer CDS will be trying to "reinvent" his 2017 roster, lots of new faces coming in.... some he may not even know yet.

Sounds like a man trying to fix his ailing program, and keep his job. With the draft coming up and several verbals making final decisions from it, he doesn't have time to be away.

And to be honest, it seems involvement in the olympic games is not what it once was in a lot of folks eyes anymore. Forgive me if I am not sharing your awe in this decision.

You can stop selling CDS hes coming back for another year.

You guys are funny. Hpw many times in your life has a coach or player turned down Team USA in anything? Look at how the LVF reacted to the news Candace wasn't selected and look at how much it obviously mattered to Candace based on her comments.

It's obviously related to his job status, not just now but last year. The bulk of the 2017 class should have signed in July of 2015, now he has to catch up and because only 3 coaches are recruiting, Serrano could ill afford not to be around the month of July.

Still, it's not something you see very often...at all. Especially that he was to report in three weeks and now Team USA has to get another guy.

I'm not selling anything, I'll go a step further than Burke and Endsor and say if this was how Hart was gonna handle the situation he should have fired him last year. However, I'm glad we aren't going up against Texas, Bama, UK, and whomever might be in the mix this year as the coaching carousel turns.

Typically true however this summer CDS will be trying to "reinvent" his 2017 roster, lots of new faces coming in.... some he may not even know yet.

I just can't believe we will get anyone else for next year we havnt seen/recruited already

Kendall Rogers
@KendallRogersD1: Good move by Serrano here to stay put and work on the recruiting class.

^^ In response to the Serrano news.

It's a good PR move. Perhaps next year shows some improvement and hart is on the fence again. This kind of thing might put CDS over the top for an extension

You guys are funny. Hpw many times in your life has a coach or player turned down Team USA in anything? Look at how the LVF reacted to the news Candace wasn't selected and look at how much it obviously mattered to Candace based on her comments.

It's obviously related to his job status, not just now but last year. The bulk of the 2017 class should have signed in July of 2015, now he has to catch up and because only 3 coaches are recruiting, Serrano could ill afford not to be around the month of July.

Still, it's not something you see very often...at all. Especially that he was to report in three weeks and now Team USA has to get another guy.

I'm not selling anything, I'll go a step further than Burke and Endsor and say if this was how Hart was gonna handle the situation he should have fired him last year. However, I'm glad we aren't going up against Texas, Bama, UK, and whomever might be in the mix this year as the coaching carousel turns.

Whatever, 66. But under the current circumstances, I cannot agree with you calling this action "unbelievable". For reasons I and others have stated, this move is needed, intelligent, but most of all, very very VERY believable.

Whatever, 66. But under the current circumstances, I cannot agree with you calling this action "unbelievable". For reasons I and others have stated, this move is needed, intelligent, but most of all, very very VERY believable.

I never said it wasn't the right thing and as far back as May 27th I mentioned in the recruiting thread how his absence in July might affect recruiting and the extra weight Thomas and Simcox would have to carry...Of course the part that's getting left out, because this thread was based on a tweet...

"...Because I made a commitment to USA Baseball, the plan is for me to go out for the first 10 days while they put together the team out in southern California. I've been part of that for the last nine months. I feel obligated to do that with them and not leave them high and dry.

But, I'll be back as soon as they leave the country to head to Taiwan on their tour, I will head back to Knoxville and get back to work for the University of Tennessee.

It was an easy decision, but it was a difficult decision too, but it's the right decision because I'm committed to this program. I've been given another opportunity and I thought it was the right thing to do for the University of Tennessee."

So...whatever.

I assume he will hit the recruiting trail pretty hard. When I look at Perfect Game commits for 2017, we have significantly fewer than most of the other SEC schools. Won't most of the 2017 guys be signing in November?

I assume he will hit the recruiting trail pretty hard. When I look at Perfect Game commits for 2017, we have significantly fewer than most of the other SEC schools. Won't most of the 2017 guys be signing in November?

He said on the radio today that he was going to Linginfelter's tonight...

The issue with the 2017 recruits was his job security, that's why we are trailing, and we are going to be behind on the '18 class for the same reason. Vandy already has 16 commits for 2019, last I checked.

Baseball isn't involved in the Olympics anymore.

Yes CDS is committed. He could have chosen to pursue other things, but he was offered and he chose to stay another year. By contrast, the coach at Alabama with a new 40+ million dollar facility and a better academic/athletic scholarship program than UT chose not to remain committed. It may be fair to say CDS underestimated the depth the hole he climbed in willingly and the lack of commitment our beloved University actually has for the baseball program, but I'm confused by the idea that anyone could question his commitment.

Yes CDS is committed. He could have chosen to pursue other things, but he was offered and he chose to stay another year. By contrast, the coach at Alabama with a new 40+ million dollar facility and a better academic/athletic scholarship program than UT chose not to remain committed. It may be fair to say CDS underestimated the depth the hole he climbed in willingly and the lack of commitment our beloved University actually has for the baseball program, but I'm confused by the idea that anyone could question his commitment.

It's nothing more than a glass half empty mindset IMO. Once some fans make up their minds negatively (or +) about a coach, it matters not what the coach does. Everything is negative regardless, until they are fired or turn things around.
Just another reason "fan" is a pretty accurate name.

He believed that working with the USA Collegiate National Team, as he has in several recent years actually helped in recruiting by putting him in the USA Baseball program. I don't know that it has helped him as much as he thought it would in that department.

The real area where he has been hurt in recruiting by working with Team USA is not being here when guys are making their choice between coming to UT or signing pro contracts. That's going to be the most important recruiting that he does this summer, convincing guys that have already signed to come to UT. And that's why he made the choice.

Why is this news?
I'm sure Serrano carefully considered the costs and benefits of coaching the college national team when he originally accepted.
After the recent season and the one-year extension, he re-considered the matter and came up with a different answer.
So he changed his summer plans.
What's the big deal?

He believed that working with the USA Collegiate National Team, as he has in several recent years actually helped in recruiting by putting him in the USA Baseball program. I don't know that it has helped him as much as he thought it would in that department.

The real area where he has been hurt in recruiting by working with Team USA is not being here when guys are making their choice between coming to UT or signing pro contracts. That's going to be the most important recruiting that he does this summer, convincing guys that have already signed to come to UT. And that's why he made the choice.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the last time Serrano worked for USA Baseball was 2012, which was announced in August 16th of 2011 after being hired two months earlier on June 15th, 2011. Then he coached the 2012 team and would have been recruiting the 2013 class that summer, who did we lose to the draft that year? Adam Giacalone, a JUCO guy, in the 16th for a $100,000 to the Brewers and Tyler Smith in the 19th and had CDS not coached Team USA we might have had a better chance of keeping them?

Interesting.

Let's not forget, he was the Manager of Team USA that year, not a pitching coach. If a kid is going to go in the 19th round he just doesn't want to go to college, ain't nothing a coach can say to change that I don't think.

Then, in November 2011, Giacalone signed his letter of intent to play baseball at the University of Tennessee, with the understanding that he would have the opportunity to be a position player as well as a pitcher – an opportunity seldom presented to college-level players.

“As a pitcher, I loved having the game in my hands,” Giacalone said about whether pitching or hitting gave him more satisfaction. “But as a hitter, there’s nothing better than being in the box and just hitting.”

But before Giacalone had the chance to step onto the field with Tennessee, the Brewers came calling with the 515th selection in last summer’s draft and made him an offer he could not refuse: The chance to fulfill his dream of playing on the big-league stage.

“It was an opportunity I couldn’t really pass up,” said Giacalone. “Tennessee was also a great offer; it’s just that my dream has always been to play professional baseball. It’s every little kid’s dream. So when an opportunity came, it was something I felt I definitely needed to do.”

https://brewersrumors.wordpress.com

According to: USABaseball.com: About USA Baseball: Alumni - Coaches

CDS was an Assistant for Team USA in 2010 and the Manager in 2012 and until this year, he hasn't been with Team USA in an official capacity since 2012.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm missing something, but the last time Serrano worked for USA Baseball was 2012, which was announced in August 16th of 2011 after being hired two months earlier on June 15th, 2011. Then he coached the 2012 team and would have been recruiting the 2013 class that summer, who did we lose to the draft that year? Adam Giacalone, a JUCO guy, in the 16th for a $100,000 to the Brewers and Tyler Smith in the 19th and had CDS not coached Team USA we might have had a better chance of keeping them?

Interesting.

Let's not forget, he was the Manager of Team USA that year, not a pitching coach. If a kid is going to go in the 19th round he just doesn't want to go to college, ain't nothing a coach can say to change that I don't think.

https://brewersrumors.wordpress.com

Not sure if those 2 are examples are what Deerpark was posting about or not but it's a massive failure draft wise for an sec school to lose a guy to the draft for 100k or a hs in the 19th round.

Those are 2 losses that would likely have never taken place at any other sec school.

VN Store

Back