Recent MLB Draft projections for Senzel?

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I know the draft is coming up next week, anyone seen any recent draft boards? Curious where Senzel is projecting recently. I might have to start following the team wherever he ends up. :)

I saw recently on MLB network he was projected 6th overall to Oakland

This is where I hope he goes, Freak.

2016 MLB Draft prospects: Nick Senzel, 3B, Tennessee - Red Reporter

I have been pushing on every Reds' blog I can find including the team's MLB site. That would put him as the #2 pick. The Reds have an experiment going on with Suarez replacing the traded AS Frazier. It's not gone all that well and Suarez was a SS previously. So 3B is a position of need. Adam Duvall can play it well, but he is in LF now and may go to RF if Jay Bruce is traded soon as expected.

This is where I hope he goes, Freak.

2016 MLB Draft prospects: Nick Senzel, 3B, Tennessee - Red Reporter

I have been pushing on every Reds' blog I can find including the team's MLB site. That would put him as the #2 pick. The Reds have an experiment going on with Suarez replacing the traded AS Frazier. It's not gone all that well and Suarez was a SS previously. So 3B is a position of need. Adam Duvall can play it well, but he is in LF now and may go to RF if Jay Bruce is traded soon as expected.

Thanks for the link, vols4us. That would be a great spot for Nick, if he somehow landed in the No. 2 spot. I can think of worse places to end up.

I saw recently on MLB network he was projected 6th overall to Oakland

Sixth overall wouldn't be bad, either. This is more inline with what I had seen before.

What's the money breakdown difference between No.2 and No. 6? Any idea?

One of Baseball America's draft projections had him going 9th to the Tigers. Could have Senzel, Simcox, Maddox and Stewart all in the same organization. At this point much of the draft position is a combination of need and signing ability. Senzel has Boros as an agent so teams know that he will get a solid signing bonus. Teams with multiple high picks like the Braves may try and get the higher picks to sign below slot to give them more room in later high picks. It is all about the top 10 round pool money each team has to spend. Good luck to all the Vols in the draft. Hope to hear good news for all of them.

Reactions: 2 people
Interesting (Draft Utopia):

65. Los Angeles Dodgers: Kyle Serrano, P, Tennessee

The Dodgers have the luxury of taking the best player available. At this point, I think that player is Kyle Serrano.

Wow that's even higher than i suspected. If he goes there he 110% should go

Interesting (Draft Utopia):

65. Los Angeles Dodgers: Kyle Serrano, P, Tennessee

The Dodgers have the luxury of taking the best player available. At this point, I think that player is Kyle Serrano.

Wow that's even higher than i suspected. If he goes there he 110% should go

Agreed. That is a lot higher than what I was guessing. I would have thought 200+.

Kyle Serrano is still in rehab. He may not end up being drafted at all guys. I don't think teams would take a chance on him unless he comes back his senior season & proves he can still pitch after that arm injury.

If he could do that & have a good season pitching then his draft stock goes up to a definite 1st round pick in 2017 & probably a top 10-15 pick to boot.

Kyle Serrano is still in rehab. He may not end up being drafted at all guys. I don't think teams would take a chance on him unless he comes back his senior season & proves he can still pitch after that arm injury.

If he could do that & have a good season pitching then his draft stock goes up to a definite 1st round pick in 2017 & probably a top 10-15 pick to boot.

You couldn't be more wrong

The dodgers drafted a guy last year they knew was going to have TJ after the draft in the 1st round

You couldn't be more wrong

The dodgers drafted a guy last year they knew was going to have TJ after the draft in the 1st round

I said Serrano probably wouldn't be drafted. I didn't say for sure that he wouldn't get drafted. Yes, players do get drafted these days with an ongoing/current injury. Problem is they don't know what they're going to get out of that player.

I haven't really heard if Kyle wants to actually come back for his senior season or not. I do remember after the injury news his dad & coach Dave Serrano talked more like Kyle would work to come back to Knoxville for his senior season.

I think it will depend on how high he can get drafted. Maybe rounds 1-3 he can't turn the money down. Anything later than 5th round I would say he comes back to Knoxville for his senior year. That's just my guess because after his senior season he should be a 1st round lock & probably top 15 pick.

Let's not forget that with his medical redshirt he will still be classified as a Junior next year so coming back could be a very viable option for him.

Let's not forget that with his medical redshirt he will still be classified as a Junior next year so coming back could be a very viable option for him.

Are you sure? I thought he was already a RS JR this season. Did he get a medical hardship for this past season? Edit: He was a junior & not a redshirt junior this past season. I can't keep up with them all.

I said Serrano probably wouldn't be drafted. I didn't say for sure that he wouldn't get drafted. Yes, players do get drafted these days with an ongoing/current injury. Problem is they don't know what they're going to get out of that player.

I haven't really heard if Kyle wants to actually come back for his senior season or not. I do remember after the injury news his dad & coach Dave Serrano talked more like Kyle would work to come back to Knoxville for his senior season.

I think it will depend on how high he can get drafted. Maybe rounds 1-3 he can't turn the money down. Anything later than 5th round I would say he comes back to Knoxville for his senior year. That's just my guess because after his senior season he should be a 1st round lock & probably top 15 pick.

The only way KS won't be drafted this year is if he convinces every single team he is coming back to tenn and even then I am sure one team would still pick him in case something changed that thinking later in the draft

I think if he is a guy that is signable he goes in the top 5 rounds easily

Reactions: 1 person
If Kyle Serrano will be a senior this year then if he gets drafted anywhere in the top 5 rounds he should sign. Unless he were to come back for his senior year and have a crazy good year he will cost himself a bunch of money. The mlb draft punishes college seniors. There exceptions like Appel from Stanford and Bryant from San Diego State, but those are the exceptions. It would be great if he comes back, but it is a serious financial risk. Remember, you get paid $800-$1200 per month in the minor leagues and the season is so long it is tough to make much money in the off season. For most guys the signing bonus can help them hang in there longer in the minor leagues. Even for college guys it may take 2-4 years to see if you really have a chance to make it.

MLB Draft 2016: Our final mock draft of the first 45 picks, from Round 1 to Competitive Balance Round A - Purple Row

This one had our own Senzel going #2 overall now to the Reds. Quote taken from the article about Senzel at #2 overall:

If the Phillies go with one of the high school bats at first overall, Puk probably won't drop any further than the Reds. If Puk is gone, the Reds will go with either Senzel or Lewis, and Senzel might have the edge with his strong finish to the season.

As a Braves fan, I would like to see Senzel go number 3 in the draft and Atlanta is in dire need of solid hitting prospects.

Reactions: 1 person
11817340.jpeg
phillies

Last edited:

VN Store

Back