Gary Henderson Out at Kentucky

@KendallRogersD1: Always annoying when athletic directors have coaches playing from way behind. #UK is like starting a race a quarter-mile behind someone.

Kentucky is one of those states - much like Tennessee, where the locals think they have great in-state talent just because a few well-off suburban high schools when most of the state championships.

He did not resign on his own, he was forced out- and likely because of requirements that Barnhart wanted.

It does not help - similarly to UT, that the "Little Brother" in state is doing much better in the sport than the flagship school is. - without the private school endowment advantage.

Serrano may be able to take advantage of a conference with several new coaches and rosters next season.

Additionally, many of UK's best players were all seniors or are juniors likely to be drafted pretty high. No matter the coach, UK is poised to take a giant step back next season. No Shelby, no chubby pitcher with the stupid looking long hair. I think only one of their top 6 pitchers is coming back.

Wow. What a week for coaching changes. Although none are completely unexpected, it shows that with the higher salaries P5 baseball coaches are drawing now, the tolerability for mediocrity is becoming less. As an example of how salaries have exploded in the last 10-12 years, Dave Perno at Georgia was making 70k a year in 2004. In today's SEC no full-time assistant baseball coach makes less than that. In fact, most are six figures.

There is going to be some very interesting movement in the coaching circles the next few weeks.

Also interesting thing is the fact if either Henderson or Gaspard were unforced resignations. That would be unprecedented in the SEC. But at these salaries, guys can afford to do that much more than ever in the past. Granted they are not going to find those salaries in pro ball or at the mid major level if that is their next destination.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Great news for us since we won't have to compete with another school for an elite coach next year. Smart move by Hart.

Great news for us since we won't have to compete with another school for an elite coach next year. Smart move by Hart.

If you want to have a successful program, you don't just hire a so called elite coach, and sit back thinking the wins will just happen. You give that coach the resources and support he needs to build things up.

When Hart said he still believes in Dave Serrano, I am looking forward to seeing if he meant it. Because if he doesn't have the budget to make the team competitive, any coach we retain or bring in will just continue to look like one legged men in an ass kicking contest.

Reactions: 4 people
If you want to have a successful program, you don't just hire a so called elite coach, and sit back thinking the wins will just happen. You give that coach the resources and support he needs to build things up.

When Hart said he still believes in Dave Serrano, I am looking forward to seeing if he meant it. Because if he doesn't have the budget to make the team competitive, any coach we retain or bring in will just continue to look like one legged men in an ass kicking contest.

I thought he was "elite"? I think they put too much scholly money on position players vs pitching, his bad. hart don't give 2 shats about non revenue sports. and a lame duck coach, who loses his best players, has no chance

@aaronfitt: I’d expect Kentucky to take a hard look at Greg Goff. Former assistant to Keith Madison has worked wonders at Campbell & La Tech.

There was my first choice for our job

I thought he was "elite"? I think they put too much scholly money on position players vs pitching, his bad. hart don't give 2 shats about non revenue sports. and a lame duck coach, who loses his best players, has no chance

One only has to look at UF to see the dividends paid with great pitching and defense. Their offensive numbers are mediocre but they're 36-1 when scoring 5 or more because very few teams are going to get 5 on them. Sunday's loss to aTm was the first of the season when scoring 5.

A pretty good starting point to keep his own job IMO.

He did not resign on his own, he was forced out- and likely because of requirements that Barnhart wanted.

I would bet a lot of $ this is wrong. I talked to more than person close to the Kentucky Athletic department and they are saying this was a shock and he did this on his own

D1 Baseball......

There are some quality jobs open out there, and Kentucky is one of them. The Wildcats are apparently being very aggressive with their coaching search, as athletic director Mitch Barnhart is aiming for some potentially high-priced targets with some serious skins on the wall. However, those coaches, at this moment, aren’t expected to take the post. Barnhart, though the Wildcats are soon building a new facility, must show coaches that he’s willing to make a serious commitment to the program. With that said, sources close to the situation say that Vanderbilt assistant Travis Jewett is interviewing for the vacancy, along with Liberty head coach Jim Toman. Meanwhile, former Arizona State coach Pat Murphy has shown interest in the opening, and UC Santa Barbara head coach Andrew Checketts has a previous relationship with Barnhart that could make him a viable candidate as well. The Wildcats would be smart and are likely to take a look at Wright State’s Greg Lovelady and Louisiana Tech’s Greg Goff as well.

• We expect another head coaching job at a program with a ton of potential to come open in the next couple of days. Stay tuned for the very latest, but the potential candidates for this vacancy would be excellent.

Reactions: 1 person
D1 Baseball......

There are some quality jobs open out there, and Kentucky is one of them. The Wildcats are apparently being very aggressive with their coaching search, as athletic director Mitch Barnhart is aiming for some potentially high-priced targets with some serious skins on the wall. However, those coaches, at this moment, aren’t expected to take the post. Barnhart, though the Wildcats are soon building a new facility, must show coaches that he’s willing to make a serious commitment to the program. With that said, sources close to the situation say that Vanderbilt assistant Travis Jewett is interviewing for the vacancy, along with Liberty head coach Jim Toman. Meanwhile, former Arizona State coach Pat Murphy has shown interest in the opening, and UC Santa Barbara head coach Andrew Checketts has a previous relationship with Barnhart that could make him a viable candidate as well. The Wildcats would be smart and are likely to take a look at Wright State’s Greg Lovelady and Louisiana Tech’s Greg Goff as well.

• We expect another head coaching job at a program with a ton of potential to come open in the next couple of days. Stay tuned for the very latest, but the potential candidates for this vacancy would be excellent.

Pat Murphy would kill at that job and would be a homerun hire even with the baggage.

Baggage that I feel is way overblown by ASU looking to get out of contract

Massive fail

@KendallRogersD1: BREAKING: @UKBaseball has hired @HailStateBB assistant coach Nick Mingione as its new head coach, sources told @d1baseball. #Kentucky

Massive fail

@KendallRogersD1: BREAKING: @UKBaseball has hired @HailStateBB assistant coach Nick Mingione as its new head coach, sources told @d1baseball. #Kentucky

When you're not willing to pay your next coach more than your previous one, you're going to have trouble getting much interest.

Ryder Green from HVA decommitted from UK as a result of the firing. CDS has already called on him, but so have most of the top programs that chased him before. If he keeps improving he will not be going to college IMO. Potential high draft pick.

VN Store

Back