The Larry Simcox Effect

He eventually gets around to it there at the end but...

http://assets.espn.go.com/SEC/baseball/2016/SECOnlyStatistics.pdf

Is probably more a more accurate way to judge things for better or worse.

For instance, having three guys with over 50 RBI's is a good thing certainly, but it would be better if we weren't tied with Missouri at (12th) 1 ahead UK for fewest in the league.

I think we're just at the tip of the iceberg with what he could do here. Just don't know if he's gonna get the chance and I don't want to take anything away from the teaching side, he's taken a bunch of players that weren't very good career hitters and made them much better in a very short amount of time.

Reactions: 1 person
I am a big fan of Simcox but I swear the fans and media are giving the credit to the wrong coach.

If you go to the games and watch BP you will clearly see that CAT is the coach running the offense when it was Bergeron last year.

Thomas deserves the credit for the turnaround first and foremost

I am a big fan of Simcox but I swear the fans and media are giving the credit to the wrong coach.

If you go to the games and watch BP you will clearly see that CAT is the coach running the offense when it was Bergeron last year.

Who's the one in practice actually working with their swings? Pregame BP doesn't tell the whole story.

Reactions: 2 people
Who's the one in practice actually working with their swings? Pregame BP doesn't tell the whole story.

So you think the coach being hands on in BP isn't doing the same in practice?

Neither coach is at most Practices this time of year

Truth be told I am sure both are involved but watch the game tomorrow night and you will see that all the decisions are made by thomas.

They both deserve credit for sure, absolutely. I think because CAT was already here and CLS is new that...wel ya know.

They both deserve credit for sure, absolutely. I think because CAT was already here and CLS is new that...wel ya know.

I think CAT and Bergeron clashed and CAT really was only a recruiter last year and actually is coaching this year

Jmo gauged from watching closely

The hitting coach would be at the cage in pregame BP and work with them in practice. The school I'm at works that way, on a smaller scale. I think both definitely deserve credit.

The hitting coach would be at the cage in pregame BP and work with them in practice. The school I'm at works that way, on a smaller scale. I think both definitely deserve credit.

I just think it's ludicrous to argue with what is said in the media by people that are actually there at practice and talk with the coaches about who does what.

I'm not saying that Simcox is always calling the games, because I have noticed that he's not giving signs. But to assume that just because another guy is giving the signs that he's doing more than that is just as dumb. Maybe Simcox feels that come game time, the learning is done and that is not good to try to change something at that point. Making a guy think any changing something with his swing an hour before the game is not a good approach.

So, while I don't know for certain, I'll take the word of those that have interviewed the coaches and been to practices and all over watching just the games.

I just think it's ludicrous to argue with what is said in the media by people that are actually there at practice and talk with the coaches about who does what.

So, while I don't know for certain, I'll take the word of those that have interviewed the coaches and been to practices and all over watching just the games.

I found it odd there were no quotes from CDS in the article. If he comes out and says CLS is running the offense like the article says I will change my thinking but my eyes tell me this is CAT's offense with an assist from Simcox

Simcox, who also runs KnoxvilleÂ’s Diamond Baseball/Simcox Academy, holds the duties of hitting instructor, infielder coach, and third base coach for the Vols, who were 12th in the SEC in team batting average (.262) last year.

Simcox’s hiring appears to signal a shift from the “small ball” tactics of Bergeron to a more aggressive style of driving the baseball.

“I know there’s different ways to skin the cat, so to speak,” Serrano explains.

“We have made some changes in regards to our development process and maybe philosophy, but it’s not like someone’s going to come and say, ‘Boy, that’s a whole different program they’re running now.’ I’ve been taught a certain way. We’ve made some changes. I think the changes are for the good in regards to some philosophy. Now let’s see how it plays out with the team.”

https://www.memphisdailynews.com/news/2016/feb/6/confident-serrano-playing-for-future-at-ut/

"The offensive coaches came to me and said, 'Coach, that was the best BP we've had in three years here,' " Serrano said. "They were just hitting blurs all over the field and it was short strokes. It carried over. That doesn't always happen."

UT baseball unloads on UC Irvine

I find it odd we're having the discussion at all.

This team did something no other UT team has ever achieved: we finished 7th in the SEC East. Dead Last. We've been at the bottom before, but not since the conference expanded. This is the first time we finished 7th of 7 in the East.

We're lower in our division than we've ever been--and we're supposed to care who gets the credit for the improved hitting?

But as long as we're discussing it, it's no mystery. The main reason our overall hitting stats are up is our weaker non conference schedule. Instead of playing 14 games against RPI 100-200 teams, we played 17, and instead of playing 4 games against RPI 200+ teams, we played 11.

The stats are inflated by the 25 runs against RPI 211 Grand Canyon, the 20 against RPI 229 Central Michigan and the double digit scoring against ETSU twice and UNC Asheville.

Our conference hitting was slightly better, but there was no big transformation. Conference batting average went up 5 ticks, from .256 to .261. We scored 0.4 more runs per game in conference play. We got outscored by 40 runs in conference play instead of 50. But at the same time, our conference HR production was cut in half. Overall, some improvement in conference, but not enough to write home about.

This team did something no other UT team has ever achieved: we finished 7th in the SEC East. Dead Last. We've been at the bottom before, but not since the conference expanded. This is the first time we finished 7th of 7 in the East.

We're lower in our division than we've ever been--and we're supposed to care who gets the credit for the improved hitting?

But as long as we're discussing it, it's no mystery. The main reason our overall hitting stats are up is our weaker non conference schedule. Instead of playing 14 games against RPI 100-200 teams, we played 17, and instead of playing 4 games against RPI 200+ teams, we played 11.

The stats are inflated by the 25 runs against RPI 211 Grand Canyon, the 20 against RPI 229 Central Michigan and the double digit scoring against ETSU twice and UNC Asheville.

Our conference hitting was slightly better, but there was no big transformation. Conference batting average went up 5 ticks, from .256 to .261. We scored 0.4 more runs per game in conference play. We got outscored by 40 runs in conference play instead of 50. But at the same time, our conference HR production was cut in half. Overall, some improvement in conference, but not enough to write home about.

I don't mind having a discussion about people being accurately informed, I'm not singing Kumbayah (sp?).

I am however getting up in a few hours to make Hoover, and it's certainly NOT because I think we're gonna win the whole thing.

Let's not forget that as far as recruiting goes the 2011 class ranked in the 60's and the player avg. rank of that class was just over 2.00.

The 2012 Class largely assembled by Raleigh was almost a total wash and none of the classes prior to that made Hoover during the Raleigh years.

And the academic part...oof.

I don't need someone to tell me how bad things are or fib about how they are better, especially people that don't know how bad things were and I know you are not one of those people.

Get down here to Hoover, Vol fans! Weather is great & I'm ready to see 4 games today, including Tennessee-LSU tonight! Nest of unmarked police cars on I-65 north of Birmingham Monday, so be advised. :hi:

Reactions: 2 people

Yet again, you seem to have forgotten that this team lost, at the time, a .400 hitter, the starting shortstop for 12 games (which I know wasn't a huge contributor offensively, but still hurt the flow), and 3 pitchers (which doesn't help the offense, but sure as hell would help them not finish dead last in the East).

Yet again, you seem to have forgotten that this team lost, at the time, a .400 hitter, the starting shortstop for 12 games (which I know wasn't a huge contributor offensively, but still hurt the flow), and 3 pitchers (which doesn't help the offense, but sure as hell would help them not finish dead last in the East).

I forgot no such things. We did not lose a .400 hitter. We lost a senior who had batted .220 his first three years with no power and who got off to a hot start for 16 games with almost half of his xbh's and a third of his hits coming in two games against RPI 200+ teams. What you think I forgot actually reinforces my point.

Regarding pitching, we had no reason to suppose our most prominent injured pitcher would have improved his 6 BB/9 inning rate, which had kept him from taking the spot at the front of the rotation we needed him to fill. Also, pitching injuries happen to every team. Other teams recruit and develop enough depth to absorb even key losses, such as USCe, which lost Wil Crowe and still improved their conference record significantly.

I forgot no such things. We did not lose a .400 hitter. We lost a senior who had batted .220 his first three years with no power and who got off to a hot start for 16 games with almost half of his xbh's and a third of his hits coming in two games against RPI 200+ teams. What you think I forgot actually reinforces my point.

Regarding pitching, we had no reason to suppose our most prominent injured pitcher would have improved his 6 BB/9 inning rate, which had kept him from taking the spot at the front of the rotation we needed him to fill. Also, pitching injuries happen to every team. Other teams recruit and develop enough depth to absorb even key losses, such as USCe, which lost Wil Crowe and still improved their conference record significantly.

Yes, his hot start. No reason to think he wouldn't have continued being hot. I'm not saying he would have continued being a .400 hitter, but it's not ridiculous to think that he would have been another .320 hitter on this team. With a lot of RBIs.

And it's no secret that this pitching staff was short of arms. I'm not saying those injured were going to be aces, but to have them available when Cox decided to **** the bed, or Nealy got tired, would have helped tremendously. If you can't see that, you don't know the game.

If those guys weren't injured, a 14-16 conference recorded is very likely.

I am going to take the macro view. CLS did improve the offense. He is working with what he has that was proven to be below SEC average prior to his arrival. That has stabilized and the roster is now being oriented toward SEC ball instead of left coast small ball. CDS's chosen path of small ball for 4 years has caused the past and present situation along with a hodge podge roster recruited by Raleigh and him for the previous purpose.

I am not happy with the CDS's supposed strength of pitching. C'mon, this staff has not achieved overall since he arrived until now. Blame the draft, injuries or whatever, all over collegiate programs face the same issues. The development is not there. Add in the deficiencies of the defense. He is not getting them to focus and be disciplined in their efforts. You can tell because they do not make the simple plays they can make at times. Then add his "wut" moments as the HC making decisions during games.

Maybe he had an epiphany after last season and changed for the better. Maybe it will take more time, UT is not exactly elite in baseball. If he did they still finished last in the division. That being said, UT has to be realistic. If there are none better to be hired as HC at a mediocre program that can bring a quality staff with them, Hart has no choice but to extend CDS and keep the pressure on. If there are better available, pull the trigger.

The facts are some improvements were made on offense and credit is deserved. Perhaps some of it was scheduling and some just normal maturation of older experienced hitters but some credit goes to the offensive coaches. How much and to whom is debatable for sure

Get down here to Hoover, Vol fans! Weather is great & I'm ready to see 4 games today, including Tennessee-LSU tonight! Nest of unmarked police cars on I-65 north of Birmingham Monday, so be advised. :hi:

Just rolled in! Chillax for a bit and then off to the Met.

Good to hear from you 66. See any orange down there? 😀

Yes! Saw the coolest pick up on the way over...tailgate was a giant power T...lit up...the whole truck was wrapped in Xmas lights and 2 flags. Probably has a better effect at night.

Yes! Saw the coolest pick up on the way over...tailgate was a giant power T...lit up...the whole truck was wrapped in Xmas lights and 2 flags. Probably has a better effect at night.

And you didn't take a picture? 😀

VN Store

Back