Baseball, Knoxville and UT

fryeguy93

Rufus X. Sarsaparilli
Now that Victor Ashe is long gone, and downtown Knoxville development is booming; I thought it may be possible to re-approach the issue of a stadium.

Even if a new stadium could not entice the Smokies back to town- and I think it likely could; a new stadium that UT would be the primary tenant would be a possibility.

A visible stadium with easy access and reasonably near campus and downtown would thrive. Until the Smokies returned the venue could host tourneys and events.

Seating of about 7-8,000 with flexibility to 10k if needed. Good lighting, great soundsystem, open concourses with concessions facing the diamond, suites and great views of the skyline. Perhaps a traditional roof covering much of the grandstand seats. Batting cages and offices beneath the facility.

There is really little overlap between college and MiLB seasons. The venue could host early season tourneys.

There is still several parcels that would work. Some closer the campus than others.

Would UT enter into such a partnership with the city?
Would UT like to disregard the work they did that last 10-years at LNS?

I believe the current LNS/Lower Hudson Field site would be excellent location for the badly needed indoor track facility. So some of the locker rooms and office could be re-purposed for track staff and athletes.

One spot for baseball that would be interesting is the "lawn" at Worlds Fair Park wedged nicely between downtown and campus

Reactions: 1 person
I doubt UT would be on board for building a new stadium unless the City of Knoxville would be willing to pick up the tab. They are currently fund raising for more improvements to LNS.

Tennessee Fund | Lindsey Nelson Stadium

That being said I much like you believe a new stadium is needed, LNS is dated and parking is such a pain it often keeps people away.

Reactions: 2 people
I've heard that the Smokies would eventually like to relocate back to downtown Knoxville. However, I am not sure that UT and the City have ever been too excited to work with each other very closely but I like the idea of shared facility. This is basically what Tusculum and the Astros do in Greeneville. That place is awesome.

I think the Smokies ship has sailed..they are doing very well in Kodak and just recently set an attendance record. They were 3rd in the Southern league in attendance last year and only behind 2nd place Pensacola by 15 fans per game.

They average 4,500 per game..don't think they would do that in Knoxville

Tennessee Smokies 277,606 63 4,406 Smokies Park (6,000)
Smokies Set New Attendance Record | Ballpark Digest

I think the Smokies ship has sailed..they are doing very well in Kodak and just recently set an attendance record. They were 3rd in the Southern league in attendance last year and only behind 2nd place Pensacola by 15 fans per game.

They average 4,500 per game..don't think they would do that in Knoxville

Tennessee Smokies 277,606 63 4,406 Smokies Park (6,000)
Smokies Set New Attendance Record | Ballpark Digest

Sounds like you are correct to me

If it's that good why change.

Based on tickets sold, the Smokies are third in attendance at 4400+ per game in the Southern League, which is comprised of 10 teams. Since the park seats around 6000, there is still good room for attendance growth. That is 800+ above the league average and only 15 tickets per game behind #2 Pensacola that has a stadium that seats about a 1000 less people with far less upside.

With all of the increasing tourism that comes to Sevier County from that point of entry, why on earth would Boyd want to move the team to a park in Knoxville where he would have less attendance and make less money? That ship has already sailed long ago.

EDIT: VolnJC posted similar info above.

Now that Victor Ashe is long gone, and downtown Knoxville development is booming; I thought it may be possible to re-approach the issue of a stadium.

Even if a new stadium could not entice the Smokies back to town- and I think it likely could; a new stadium that UT would be the primary tenant would be a possibility.

A visible stadium with easy access and reasonably near campus and downtown would thrive. Until the Smokies returned the venue could host tourneys and events.

Seating of about 7-8,000 with flexibility to 10k if needed. Good lighting, great soundsystem, open concourses with concessions facing the diamond, suites and great views of the skyline. Perhaps a traditional roof covering much of the grandstand seats. Batting cages and offices beneath the facility.

There is really little overlap between college and MiLB seasons. The venue could host early season tourneys.

There is still several parcels that would work. Some closer the campus than others.

Would UT enter into such a partnership with the city?
Would UT like to disregard the work they did that last 10-years at LNS?

I believe the current LNS/Lower Hudson Field site would be excellent location for the badly needed indoor track facility. So some of the locker rooms and office could be re-purposed for track staff and athletes.

One spot for baseball that would be interesting is the "lawn" at Worlds Fair Park wedged nicely between downtown and campus

The Smokies are contractually committed to their Kodak location through 2024 and are widely believed to have agreed to an extension to that in exchange for incentives from Sevier County last summer.

Meanwhile, the City of Knoxville is preparing to spend $200 million on a new Civic Coliseum downtown. I think getting them to build or assist on a baseball facility in the next 10 years is a pipe dream at best.

The Smokies are contractually committed to their Kodak location through 2024 and are widely believed to have agreed to an extension to that in exchange for incentives from Sevier County last summer.

Meanwhile, the City of Knoxville is preparing to spend $200 million on a new Civic Coliseum downtown. I think getting them to build or assist on a baseball facility in the next 10 years is a pipe dream at best.

Yep. The Smokies are doing fine where they are. No reason to go anywhere.

And I think the movers and shakers in Knoxville learned a lesson when the Smokies left for Sevierville and are going to invest in a new facility to help keep minor league hockey in town, plus give the city a much needed modern mid-size concert venue to bring acts to town, which in turn bring tax revenues in to the city.

Yep. The Smokies are doing fine where they are. No reason to go anywhere.

And I think the movers and shakers in Knoxville learned a lesson when the Smokies left for Sevierville and are going to invest in a new facility to help keep minor league hockey in town, plus give the city a much needed modern mid-size concert venue to bring acts to town, which in turn bring tax revenues in to the city.

It was the whiners out in Farragut/Lovell Road that pushed the Smokies away. "We don't want the noise, or the traffic, or the lights!" The team has a great thing going for them up there. Don't think they'd ever consider leaving, not with the way it's growing.

I doubt UT would be on board for building a new stadium unless the City of Knoxville would be willing to pick up the tab. They are currently fund raising for more improvements to LNS.

Tennessee Fund | Lindsey Nelson Stadium

That being said I much like you believe a new stadium is needed, LNS is dated and parking is such a pain it often keeps people away.

Parking, there's parking?

I'm on board with a new UT / Amateur park, somewhere not downtown. A 17-18 year old league with big time tourneys every weekend. Great opportunity for scouting the talent right in our back door. UT would save some money scouting prospects. shhh don't tell the NCAA. There's big money to be made in Youth Tourneys, I've experienced it first hand. Most mommies and daddy's just know that JR is the next Frank Thomas and will spend big $$$ to show him off.

Last edited:
It was the whiners out in Farragut/Lovell Road that pushed the Smokies away. "We don't want the noise, or the traffic, or the lights!" The team has a great thing going for them up there. Don't think they'd ever consider leaving, not with the way it's growing.

It's all hindsight, but the best place for it was the World's Fair site, which hasn't really been utilized since the fair (and Yes, I am old enough to have actually been at the World's Fair many times). They sunk, and are still sinking, way too much money in that black hole that is the convention center. If a new downtown minor league stadium had been built on the other side of the Sunsphere it would have brought people downtown some 60 dates per year to spend money in eateries, shopping, etc. Instead all of those monies are going to Sevier County and Sevierville now.

Just a stupid move by the powers that be back then.

Correct, but they'll happily take another shopping mall. Smh

I think Knoxville's best choice is to try and get a ECHL team back...The Cherokees did pretty well, save for their high lease. I like the Ice Bears but would like to see a higher level of hockey played here.

It's all hindsight, but the best place for it was the World's Fair site, which hasn't really been utilized since the fair (and Yes, I am old enough to have actually been at the World's Fair many times). They sunk, and are still sinking, way too much money in that black hole that is the convention center. If a new downtown minor league stadium had been built on the other side of the Sunsphere it would have brought people downtown some 60 dates per year to spend money in eateries, shopping, etc. Instead all of those monies are going to Sevier County and Sevierville now.

Just a stupid move by the powers that be back then.

The performance lawn would have been a great site and would have been a great tie-in to the convention center. But at the time, outdoor concerts were a booming business and that site was generating a lot of money for the city with basically zero effort and upkeep.

The real hindsight play would have been to build a convention center attached to/combined with a replacement for the coliseum.

While local baseball fans have missed out, the Smokies have really won on the deal. They've marketed to a five-county area and have drawn just as well or better than they would have in West Knoxville. It would have taken a real sweetheart deal to get them back to Knoxville, and they look to have no intention to move.

I think the best thing the city of Knoxville could do is get rid of that entertainment tax

If the Smokies were to ever relocate to Knoxville, I think a multipurpose domed baseball stadium coparterning with UT would be ideal and they could tear down Lindsey Nelson Stadium and use that site for parking spaces for campus use.

Ironically, they ended up with just that plus more with Turkey Creek Development.

Kodak does hinder those from the western end of the region. Most of the fans are not tourists but locals from near the park.

Having a Cubs affiliation instead of a generic team like Blue Jays, Brewers, Astros, DiamondBacks has helped a lot as well.

I do agree that Knoxville's first priority has to be a new arena.

Another irony, the location of the old Bill Meyer stadium is the next target for development. It would be possible a new stadium would have been very close to the old. Especially with the greatly improved interstate access at Hall of Fame Drive.

I think Knoxville's best choice is to try and get a ECHL team back...The Cherokees did pretty well, save for their high lease. I like the Ice Bears but would like to see a higher level of hockey played here.

I would love that, too, but you'd have to find new ownership. I don't think KIB ownership could financially handle it. Then you'd have a battle over tenancy of the arena.

VN Store

Back