Poll: Do you think Tennessee should retain Serrano?

Should Tennessee retain Serrano

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think if UT decides to retain Serrano, they should give him at least a 3 or 4 year deal so future recruits know that he will be there for their UT careers. A 1 year deal gives rival coaches the chance to tell prospective recruits that Serrano is not going to be at UT for the long term.

I would have put undecided but not an option. My best friend and high school teammate was on the team from 2000 to 2004, including a trip to Omaha 2001, while I played at Carson Newman. I respect his opinion and insight a lot on things UT baseball and haven't had a chance to talk to him since the season has ended.

I think if UT decides to retain Serrano, they should give him at least a 3 or 4 year deal so future recruits know that he will be there for their UT careers. A 1 year deal gives rival coaches the chance to tell prospective recruits that Serrano is not going to be at UT for the long term.

Yep. That's the way it has to be. Either a 4 or 5 year deal, or cut bait. One or two years wouldn't be in the best interest of the program, and it really wouldn't be doing Serrano any favors, either, because of the negative recruiting issues it would bring about.

Reactions: 2 people
Good coaches sometimes even at very little fault of their own have a losing perception and mentality to set in so deep that a change must be made.

This has happened here and IMO that mentality can't change with CDS running the show.

A lesser coach might even be able to change that Negative vibe and Hart has to give it a shot

Last edited:
No, it has now been proven the west coast style of small ball will never succeed in the south. CDS hasn't been willing to change and I don't expect him to. Are there issues with budgets, facilities etc sure. But like any smart business plan no one is going to invest in a product that they don't believe in. I absolutely love CDS the person and part of me wishes he will get an extension because I want it to work so bad for him. But I think it would be best for all parties involved to move on.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm aware of his record while here.

I can see why most wouldn't want him back.

However, his track record speaks volumes (to me). He's been successful everywhere he's been. At some point, the breaks have to go your way.

If they keep him, it is clear he has not earned a raise, and should not be given one. The track record you admire so much needs to translate to success. It may speak volumes to you, but the majority of Vols fans are just hearing mumbling at this point.

His contract needs to be structured that still provides incentives for wins and attaining program goals, but does not bind the university to Serrano if he continues failing to perform. Hart also needs to sit down with Serrano and see if there is something support wise he might need to make this work.

I am not in the bring on the next guy crowd, but I am also not for retaining someone who can't do the job here. I will be sitting in the let's do whatever it takes to build a champion stand. That is the section that serves beer.

Interesting that about 90% of the voters are not people who regularly contribute to the baseball forum.

Just because people do not post in baseball forum, does not mean they do not pay any attention to it. I think most know Serrano's track record, and know he has struggled here for some reason. Again this is not like hiring a Fulmer (a team hiring him after fired here hypothetically) or Barnes because they were older and were on down time of career. Serrano did well at all stops.

Who is Ryan Sandberg?

LOL, bad memory on my part I guess... grew up watching him too. :)

Always Reds fan, but WGN always carried Cubs games. Still amazed with Dawson Sanberg, Grace and Dunston they did not win more.

Last edited:
No, it has now been proven the west coast style of small ball will never succeed in the south. CDS hasn't been willing to change and I don't expect him to. .....

That couldn't be further from the truth. Have you watched a game this year?

Reactions: 2 people
I really really like Serano. His interviews are great, he's been successful and knows what he's doing. But for whatever reason it just hasn't worked here. I would be ok with him staying and at the same time understand if he's let go. We have been competing for 14th, 13th and 12th place basically every year. Anyone can do that. I have never coached baseball and can compete for last place in the SEC. IF he is let go, Chris Burke is the first person that comes to mind. Doubt he'd do it but he is by far the best baseball analyst there is IMO.

Interesting that about 90% of the voters are not people who regularly contribute to the baseball forum.

Whats it matter if people don't post in the baseball forum all the time? Does that make you a better fan a baseball fan than me? Is there an unwritten rule that everytime there is ballgame on, I gotta sit a comment after every pitch? I sit and watch as many games as I can see, or the ones they have on tv, but I don't think that makes you better than me or anyone. Nor do I feel the need to comment after every game, pitch, swing, or whatever.. The was a question asked. And I answered. Get over yourself.

VN Store

Back