The Road To Hoover

vol66

GBO!!!
Staff member
Thanks to our brethren embracing the suck in both the cellars of each division, we aren't mathematically out of it...yet.

Below are the schedules left of each team battling to get to Hoover's Dozen. Listed from toughest remaining schedule to easiest, though I could see an argument where Arkansas and Auburn flip flop.

TENNESSEE

RPI/TEAM

(1) Florida
(15) LSU
(28) AT UGA

AUBURN

(53) AT BAMA
(11) MSU
(12) AT VU

ARKANSAS

(15) AT LSU
(53) BAMA
(11) AT MSU

MISSOURI

(11) AT MSU
(28) UGA
(40) AT UK

GEORGIA

(7) Ole Miss
(89) AT Mizzou
(77) UT

It could be over this time next weekend or it could last until the final series is played. We'd have to play out of our minds and have good crowds for UF and LSU...I don't think it's likely, but it's still possible I guess.

GBO!!!

Reactions: 2 people
The Vols seem to play better as the underdog and with a chip on their shoulders. It really seems to take the pressure off them. Unless they have thrown in the towel, I think they are very capable of giving UF a fight next weekend.

Reactions: 3 people
The Vols seem to play better as the underdog and with a chip on their shoulders. It really seems to take the pressure off them. Unless they have thrown in the towel, I think they are very capable of giving UF a fight next weekend.

The easiest thing to look at as is RPI...but what we have to remember is that this time of year teams are playing for different things. For teams at the very top it's about hosting, for teams in the middle it's about not being on the bubble and for those of us at the bottom, about getting to the conference tourney.

So, everyone still has something to play for, and that's what makes college baseball great.

Reactions: 3 people
Since the conference field expanded, 11 wins has always been enough to get in. 10 wins has been enough only once. 10-win teams missed the tourney each of the last two years.

Reactions: 1 person
This could shape up to be a year in which a 10-win team gets in, maybe even two.

Of the teams on this list, UGA can get to 11 without winning a series against a team higher in the standings.

Everyone else needs to pull at least one weekend series upset and avoid getting swept.

So there could be a logjam at ten wins with tiebreakers settling it.

MSU and Bama will have a lot to say about it.

Auburn and Georgia going 3-6

The other 3 of us are going 4-5

Where does that leave us?

Auburn and Georgia going 3-6

The other 3 of us are going 4-5

Where does that leave us?

That would have us and Auburn at 10 wins, they own the tie breaker we stay home, they go. Then depends on who wins UGA series.

In the op where I said we would go 4-5

I have us beating Georgia 2/3 and winning 1 each of the other weekend

Seems like in your scenario several teams all have the same record...the tie breaker would get more complicated in that scenario.

In that scenario, we would get the nod over UGA, Auburn would be the 11th team

Thanks to our brethren embracing the suck in both the cellars of each division, we aren't mathematically out of it...yet.

Below are the schedules left of each team battling to get to Hoover's Dozen. Listed from toughest remaining schedule to easiest, though I could see an argument where Arkansas and Auburn flip flop.

TENNESSEE

RPI/TEAM

(1) Florida(win 1)
(15) LSU(win 1)
(28) AT UGA(win 2)

AUBURN

(53) AT BAMA(win1)
(11) MSU (win 1)
(12) AT VU(win 1)

ARKANSAS

(15) AT LSU(win 1)
(53) BAMA(win 2)
(11) AT MSU(win 1)

MISSOURI

(11) AT MSU(win 1)
(28) UGA(win 2)
(40) AT UK(win 1)

GEORGIA

(7) Ole Miss (win 1)
(89) AT Mizzou (win 1)
(77) UT (win 1)

That's my thinking

Well if the team that showed up in Missouri this weekend shows up the next two weekends we get swept and it ain't close.

Reactions: 4 people
UGA would be last...

It would be...

Arky 11-19
Mizzou 11-19
Auburn 10-20
Tennessee 10-20
UGA 10-20

In that scenario, we don't go, my bad

I'm not really directing this at you, but I really get tired of the "we play better with a chip on our shoulder" talk. That's has been beaten to death the last 5 years between the football, men's basketball, and baseball teams.

And I don't even agree really. We did it last week against Vandy but it didn't help in any of the other series' against better teams like SC. It really seems like something we tell ourselves to make us feel better about how bad we are.

I'm not really directing this at you, but I really get tired of the "we play better with a chip on our shoulder" talk. That's has been beaten to death the last 5 years between the football, men's basketball, and baseball teams.

And I don't even agree really. We did it last week against Vandy but it didn't help in any of the other series' against better teams like SC. It really seems like something we tell ourselves to make us feel better about how bad we are.

I don't know about all "the chip on the shoulder" stuff and don't know about the other sports...

But...this year in SEC Baseball, we are 4-5 at home...2-10 on the road...the next two series are at home albeit with major SEC competition. I don't know if it matters but I'm damn glad we aren't going to Gainesville and Baton Rouge.

Reactions: 2 people
Why do they suck so badly? I just don't get it. I understand the injuries. But they suck and it's mind boggling.....

Living in Nashville, I love how they took the series against Vandie. That kinda makes their year that has been full of suckassness

CDS's teams have not finished well during his tenure here, even including last year's season ending sweep of MSU.

Overall, for the last three weekends of the season, CDS teams have won a total of two series in four years, getting swept 3 weekends, losing five others, and having two shortened by weather (1-1 and 0-1). Total conference record for the final 3 weekends of his seasons here is 11-22.

His conference record in the second half of the conference schedule is 18-44. He has won a total of four second-half series, been swept 8 times, and lost 7 other series.

The numbers don't support the theory that they play better with their backs to the wall.

Going 4-5 down the stretch would be refreshingly uncharacteristic.

VN Store

Back