Baseball America Projected Field of 64

As someone who is admittedly not a baseball bracketologist, what is it going to take for us to get in the field of 64?

Looks to me like we need to be viewed as the 9th SEC team, so we would need to bypass Georgia and Alabama. Would a 7-5 SEC finish (9-5 overall) give us a chance? That would be 33-22 overall and 13-17 in SEC. Then a couple wins in Hoover, maybe? Or is that not enough?

I would love to hear some opinions/educated guesses from some of you who follow baseball more closely.

As someone who is admittedly not a baseball bracketologist, what is it going to take for us to get in the field of 64?

Looks to me like we need to be viewed as the 9th SEC team, so we would need to bypass Georgia and Alabama. Would a 7-5 SEC finish (9-5 overall) give us a chance? That would be 33-22 overall and 13-17 in SEC. Then a couple wins in Hoover, maybe? Or is that not enough?

I would love to hear some opinions/educated guesses from some of you who follow baseball more closely.

14-16 or 13-17 with a lengthy trip to Hoover IMO

Reactions: 1 person
from D1 Baseball today.....

SEC - 9 bids

SAFELY IN: Florida, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Texas A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, Kentucky

ON THE BUBBLE (IN): Alabama

ON THE BUBBLE (OUT): Georgia

No change from last week. We had a lengthy debate about Alabama vs. Georgia for the last spot, or whether both teams would get in to make the SEC a 10-bid league. That’s within the realm of possibility. Right now, Georgia is in much better shape in the RPI (No. 23 vs. No. 48), and their top 50 records are fairly comparable (UGa. is 9-14, Bama is 8-11). Georgia gets a huge edge in nonconference SOS (No. 20 vs. No. 176), and Georgia won the head-to-head series against the Crimson Tide. But Alabama has two nice high-end series wins against Ole Miss and at LSU, plus a series win against Maryland. Georgia has a premium series win against South Carolina and the afore-mentioned series win against Alabama, but that’s it. Alabama’s biggest edge is in the conference standings, where it is 9-9 compared with Georgia’s 7-11. The Bulldogs need to find a way to get to at least 13 conference wins to have a realistic shot, and their path is daunting, with a series at Vandy, then vs. Ole Miss, followed by more manageable series at Missouri and vs. Tennessee. Certainly the RPI gives Georgia a real shot, but we remain skeptical that it will finish strong enough down the stretch to construct a good enough conference record to get in. We have more faith in Alabama, which is home for three of its last four series and has a potentially winnable road series at Arkansas. And that two-game edge in the SEC standings is big.

We must win tonight and win the series versus Mizzou, even though Mizzou doesn't have a great RPI, the wins would be significant because they are road games. If we could somehow manage to take the series from UF, then the conversation could start. That would be winning 6 of 8 games starting last night.

We don't have a midweek game between the Mizzou/UF series...that's a plus.

Reactions: 1 person
We must win tonight and win the series versus Mizzou, even though Mizzou doesn't have a great RPI, the wins would be significant because they are road games. If we could somehow manage to take the series from UF, then the conversation could start. That would be winning 6 of 8 games starting last night.

We don't have a midweek game between the Mizzou/UF series...that's a plus.

Please tell me they aren't taking a bus to mizzou again? Didn't this happen 2 years ago?

Must win tonight, and a sweep against MO would be a huge shot in the arm. Not much margin for error at this point, but it does seem like the guys are enjoying playing and building a little momentum. That could all be dashed if the Vols don't at lest win the series against the Missouri Northerners.

VN Store

Back