VFL's in MLB and MiLB

txbo

Never worked for a Vandy grad
I thought it would be nice to have a thread to keep up with our boys playing professional ball.

Reactions: 4 people
What happened with him - I thought he did pretty good in the Majors last season ? Now in AA ?

DBacks use their AA team more like most use their AAA is what has been said here

He did do well last year but was more of a filler for injured guys than being brought up as a real "prospect" that had arrived

DBacks use their AA team more like most use their AAA is what has been said here

He did do well last year but was more of a filler for injured guys than being brought up as a real "prospect" that had arrived

He also had a historic debute for the Dbacks but had a really tough spring. They did keep him in spring training until the last cuts.

Houston Astros- Matt Duffy(former Vol 3B, traded to Texas Rangers & send down to AAA Round Rock Express)
Cleveland Indians- Yan Gomes(former Vol C, starting C for Indians)
New York Yankees- Chase Headley(former Vol 3B, starting 3B for Yanks)
Philadelphia Phillies- J.P. Arencibia(former Vol C, currently at AAA level Durham Bulls for Tampa Rays, former starting C for Toronto Blu Jays)
Toronto Blue Jays- R.A. Dickey(former Vol pitcher, starting pitcher for Toronto)
Kansas City Royals- Luke Hochevar(former Vol pitcher, pitches out of the bullpen for Royals)
Kentrail Davis- (former Vol OF, now a FA, last played for Arkansas Travelers at the AA level)
Nick Hernandez- former Vol pitcher, last year pitched for Winnipeg, AA level for the Phillies)
Duente Heath- (former Vol pitcher, Now a FA, last pitched for the MLB White Sox in 2013)
Blake Forsythe- (former Vol C, Now a FA, played last year for the Lehigh Valley AAA of the Phillies)
Charlie Thurber- (former Vol OF, now a FA, last played for New Britian in AA level of the Rockies in 2015)
Matt Ramsey- (former Vol pitcher, currently plays for Jacksonville class AA of the Marlins)
Zach Osborne- (former Vol SS, currently plays SS for Hartford class AA of the Rockies)
Cody Hawn- (former Vol 3B, last played DH for Brevard County class A advanced of the Brewers in 2014)
Julio Borbon- (former Vol OF, currently plays for the Baltimore O's MLB club, former MLB player for Rangers)
Will Maddox- (former Vol 3B, currently plays 1B for West Michigan class A Detroit Tigers)
Scott Price- (former Vol 1B, now a FA, last played for Salem-Keizer class A San Francisco Giants)
Taylor Smart- (former Vol Infielder, last played for Wichita class AA of the Royals in 2015)
Zack Godley- (former Vol pitcher, currently back with the DBacks MLB club, 7-15-16)
Nick Williams- (former Vols pitcher, currently plays for Jupiter class A advanced of the Miami Marlins)
Josh Lindblom- (former Vol pitcher, currently plays in Korea for the Lotte Giants, played in MLB for the Dodgers,Phillies,Rangers, & A's from 2011-14)
Drew Steckenrider- (former Vol pitcher, currently plays for Jacksonville Suns class AA of the Miami Marlins)

2015 draft picks:

Christian Stewart- (former Vol OF, currently plays at A level Lakeland of the Detroit Tigers)
Andrew Lee- (former Vol pitcher, currently plays for Hagerstown class A of the Nationals)
Drake Owenby- (former Vol pitcher, currently plays for the Wisconsin Timber class A of the Brewers)
A.J. Simcox- (former Vol SS/2B, currently plays SS for Lakeland class A advanced of the Tigers)
Bret Marks- (former Vol pitcher, currently plays for GCL Yanks class A rookie league of the Yankees)
Khayyan Norfork- former Vol, currently plays 3B for the Harrisburg Senators AA affiliate of the Washington Nats)

2016 Draft Picks:

Nick Senzel- former Vol 3B, drafted in the 1st round(#2 overall by the Cincinnati Reds in the 2016 draft), currently plays for Dayton Dragons A ball.

Andy Cox- former Vol pitcher, drafted by the Cincinnati Reds in the 7th round of the 2016 draft), currently plays for Billings Mustangs A ball team of the Reds.

Vincent Jackson- former Vol OF, drafted in the 14th Round of the 2016 draft by the St. Louis Cards, currently plays for State College Spikes short A ball of the St. Louis Cards

Edit: Link update for all of the former Vols from above & more: Pros Update: Stewart in Futures Game, Borbon Heats Up - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Houston Astros- Matt Duffy(former Vol 3B, backup 3B for Astros)
Detroit Tigers- Christian Stewart(former 2015 Vol OF,currently at A level Lakeland)
Cleveland Indians- Yan Gomes(former Vol C, starting C for Indians)
New York Yankees- Chase Headley(former Vol 3B, starting 3B for Yanks)
Philadelphia Phillies- J.P. Arencibia(former Vol C, currently at AAA level Lehigh)
Toronto Blue Jays- R.A. Dickey(former Vol pitcher, starting pitcher for Toronto)
Kansas City Royals- Luke Hochevar(former Vol pitcher, pitches out of the bullpen for Royals)
Kentrail Davis- (former Vol OF, now a FA, last played for Arkansas Travelers at the AA level)
Nick Hernandez- former Vol pitcher, last year pitched for Winnipeg, AA level for the Phillies)
Duente Heath- (former Vol pitcher, Now a FA, last pitched for the White Sox in 2013)
Blake Forsythe- (former Vol C, Now a FA, played last year for the Lehigh Valley AAA for the Phillies)
Charlie Thurber- (former Vol OF, now a FA, last played for New Britian in AA level for the Rockies in 2015)
Drew Steckenrider- (former Vol pitcher, currently plays for Jupiter class A for the Marlins)
Khayyan Norfork- (former Vol 2B, currently plays 3B for Potomac class A advanced for the Nationals)
Matt Ramsey- (former Vol pitcher, currently plays for Jacksonville AA class for the Marlins)
Zach Osborne- (former Vol SS, currently plays SS for Hartford class AA for the Rockies)
Cody Hawn- (former Vol 3B, last played DH for Brevard County class A advanced for the Brewers in 2014)

I'm pretty sure Forsythe is our 1B coach as a GA.

I'm pretty sure Forsythe is our 1B coach as a GA.

He might be now. It just says he is listed as released from Lehigh. I added more players. I'll update the post as needed. I want make new post each time I need to add more information. I'll just edit that one. Thanks!

4/10/2016

Houston Astros optioned Matt Duffy to AAA Fresno after activating Evan Gattis off the DL.

Duffy only got two at bats. Never really had a chance to do anything.

Last edited:
4/10/2016

Houston Astros optioned Matt Duffy to AAA Fresno after activating Evan Gattis off the DL.

Duffy only got two at bats. Never really had a chance to do anything.

Duffy will be back to MLB club soon. Gattis will probably be injured again or somebody else in the infield. Hate to see he only got 2 AB's though.

Luke Hochevar pitched the 6th inning against the Astros tonight. Struck out 2 and gave up no runs.

Good night last night for the vols with the Tigers. Stewart hit his third homer of the year and Simcox got the game winning hit for the Lakeland Tigers and Maddox made espn top 10 for his catch of a line drive for the West Michigan Whitecaps.

Reactions: 2 people
RA Dickey got the start tonigh vs Red Sox. Had a tough night.
4.2 IP
6 H
4 R
2 ER
4 BB

RA Dickey got the start tonigh vs Red Sox. Had a tough night.
4.2 IP
6 H
4 R
2 ER
4 BB

I was about to post about that, he has had a couple of rough starts so far.

I'd say his knuckler is now falling off bigtime with his age. What is he now 42? Knuckleballers can last longer but I think he might be on the very end of his career. Either this year or next will probably be his last.

I'd say his knuckler is now falling off bigtime with his age. What is he now 42? Knuckleballers can last longer but I think he might be on the very end of his career. Either this year or next will probably be his last.

He only needs to pitch 7 more years to reach Phil Niekro's age when he retired.

He only needs to pitch 7 more years to reach Phil Niekro's age when he retired.

That's true but he's also had that arm injured as well. I doubt he makes it 7 more years. Maybe 3 but not 7. I read an article back before spring training that Dickey wants to be an announcer for Toronto when he retires. Either radio or TV. He also said the Mets would be fine too in announcing for.

That's true but he's also had that arm injured as well. I doubt he makes it 7 more years. Maybe 3 but not 7. I read an article back before spring training that Dickey wants to be an announcer for Toronto when he retires. Either radio or TV. He also said the Mets would be fine too in announcing for.

Oh, just joking, I don't think he will make it that long. Hopefully he is just off to a slow start and will get it going soon.

Zack Godley will make his second start today for the Mobile BayBears.

He will pitch the second game of a double header against the Biloxi Shuckers. Game 1 is scheduled for 6:05 ET.

Zack Godley will make his second start today for the Mobile BayBears.

He will pitch the second game of a double header against the Biloxi Shuckers. Game 1 is scheduled for 6:05 ET.

Added him to my edited post. Thanks!

VN Store

Back