Vols Drop Series Finale to #6 Gamecocks, 4-3

VN News

With help from a strong start by senior Andy Cox, Tennessee matched No. 6-ranked South Carolina hit-for-hit through seven innings in the series finale but the Gamecocks prevailed, taking a 4-3 win over the Vols on Sunday.

More...

Discuss.

It's a shame we got swept in this series. We were right there in every single game with a chance to win. Probably should have won 2 out of 3. We just can't keep losing some of these games we seem to give away.

Reactions: 1 person
Very disappointing! Listen, Vandy has a Baseball program! Let that sink in...Vandy! Yet Tennessee won't spend the money and set the expectations that will garner a competitive Baseball team! If you think firing Phil was a big mistake, how about firing Rod Delmonico! Boy, how smart does that look now. Pathetic! THE University of Tennessee can't even win enough baseball games to make it to the conference tournament! I'm sick of it! What is in Columbia SC that isn't in Knoxville? How about Kentucky or MO? And Vandy!!! Good grief! I can't even watch!!!

This baseball team has become the laughing stock and punching bag of the SEC.
To be in all 3 games but still lose all three to a great team is a huge gut punch. Damn that may be a masterpiece of heartbreaking harrowing close but no cigar.

Reactions: 2 people
This baseball team has become the laughing stock and punching bag of the SEC.
To be in all 3 games but still lose all three to a great team is a huge gut punch. Damn that may be a masterpiece of heartbreaking harrowing close but no cigar.

How long have you been a Cubs' fan? You ought to be used to "gut punches."

Very disappointing! Listen, Vandy has a Baseball program! Let that sink in...Vandy! Yet Tennessee won't spend the money and set the expectations that will garner a competitive Baseball team! If you think firing Phil was a big mistake, how about firing Rod Delmonico! Boy, how smart does that look now. Pathetic! THE University of Tennessee can't even win enough baseball games to make it to the conference tournament! I'm sick of it! What is in Columbia SC that isn't in Knoxville? How about Kentucky or MO? And Vandy!!! Good grief! I can't even watch!!!

I agree with you. Bring back Delmonico! Coaching staff we have now makes him look like a MLB manager in comparison.

In all fairness, it's also hard for us to get talent like Vandy. They're a powerhouse! We used to be a competing team but those days are way gone. I miss watching Todd Helton really bad.

When's the last time we've had a player even close to his caliber? Who was the SS drafted by the Astros a few years ago? Can't even think of his name but he was the closest I can think of right off the top of my head.

Chris Burke that's who I was trying to think of. I know we've had some 1st round draft picks but nothing even close to what Mr. Helton could do for us.

We may never get back into competing again in the SEC. I wondered the same thing about our football team too but Butch has turned that around. However, I don't think we will get back to there with Serrano as coach.

It would be nice to just get one of the top caliber players like Vandy gets every single year out of high school. They could share some with us just to be nice! :)

I agree with you. Bring back Delmonico! Coaching staff we have now makes him look like a MLB manager in comparison.

In all fairness, it's also hard for us to get talent like Vandy. They're a powerhouse! We used to be a competing team but those days are way gone. I miss watching Todd Helton really bad.

When's the last time we've had a player even close to his caliber? Who was the SS drafted by the Astros a few years ago? Can't even think of his name but he was the closest I can think of right off the top of my head.

Chris Burke that's who I was trying to think of. I know we've had some 1st round draft picks but nothing even close to what Mr. Helton could do for us.

We may never get back into competing again in the SEC. I wondered the same thing about our football team too but Butch has turned that around. However, I don't think we will get back to there with Serrano as coach.

It would be nice to just get one of the top caliber players like Vandy gets every single year out of high school. They could share some with us just to be nice! :)

It'd be great if they would share some of those extra scholarships.

We have had one close to his talent(coming out of college) each of the last 2 years

Christian Stewart last year and Senzel this year

We have had one close to his talent(coming out of college) each of the last 2 years

Christian Stewart last year and Senzel this year

I don't think Christian Stewart is close to what you would call a Todd Helton type talent. I would even say not even close for him but Senzel this year is certainly becoming one for sure! That kid is working his way into a high draft pick. He's a really solid player both offensively & defensively.

if the general public knew the whole story why CRD was let go you would know that he will never be back.....ever.

I don't think Christian Stewart is close to what you would call a Todd Helton type talent. I would even say not even close for him but Senzel this year is certainly becoming one for sure! That kid is working his way into a high draft pick. He's a really solid player both offensively & defensively.

Helton was 8th over all in the draft and senzel has been projected higher than that

Stewart was also a first round hitter

if the general public knew the whole story why CRD was let go you would know that he will never be back.....ever.

I was pretty young when he was let go, didn't he basically dare Hamilton to fire him?

Helton was 8th over all in the draft and senzel has been projected higher than that

Stewart was also a first round hitter

Oh, don't get me wrong. Both Stewart & Senzel are solid players but they DO NOT fall into the same talent category as a Todd Helton.

Last edited:
Oh, don't get wrong. Both Stewart & Senzel are solid players but they DO NOT fall into the same talent category as a Todd Helton.

I am saying their value coming out of college.

I Won't be surprised if Senzel is drafted higher than Helton was.

At the level in the draft he's contending for they look hard for question marks. Uncertainty about his MLB position may slide him back just a bit.

For my part, I'm impressed with how he raised his average 40 points while increasing power and cutting his K % by a third. Having a great "contract year."

That's certainly possible that Senzel ends up being drafted higher than Helton. I love watching the kid play. He's going to be a really good player in pro baseball.

I don't think it will take him too long to have a shot at the MLB level once drafted. 1-2 years probably. He can hit & field the baseball very well. However, I don't think he will ever be the player of Todd Helton in the pros. He will be good & probably even a starting 3B/1B but not the stats of a Helton.

Since Helton left UT I would say Chris Burke has been our best overall player with Christian Stewart a close 2nd but once Senzel leaves either via graduation or draft he might end up being 2nd right behind Helton.

Since Helton left UT I would say Chris Burke has been our best overall player with Christian Stewart a close 2nd but once Senzel leaves either via graduation or draft he might end up being 2nd right behind Helton.

I'd say Hochevar is best player at UT since Helton.

Neither of those guys are close to Helton as a college player.

Not really fair comparing the numbers really if that's a basis for your thinking. It's also easy to say now Helton was that much better because of the pro career. Very very different era with bat regulations being the big difference

I was simply pointing out the comparison of mlb draft values were very similar

Last edited:
Not really fair comparing the numbers really if that's a basis for your thinking. It's also easy to say now Helton was that much better because of the pro career. Very very different era with bat regulations being the big difference

I was simply pointing out the comparison of mlb draft values were very similar

Helton was arguably the best player in college baseball at the time.

VN Store

Back