Operating Expenses in the SEC - Baseball

OldTimer

919 miles
Staff member
Mentioning budgets in another thread got me thinking, here is what I could find relating to operating expenses in the SEC for baseball........

LSU $4,326,420
South Carolina $3,371,874
Vanderbilt $3,622,904
Arkansas $2,481,598
Auburn $2,462,086
Florida $2,454,205
Texas A&M $2,407,096
Mississippi $2,110,259
Georgia $1,938,446
Mississippi St. $1,861,992
Tennessee $1,830,943
Kentucky $1,720,766
Alabama $1,521,729
Missouri $1,216,420

List of Top 295 Baseball Programs based on operating expenses and RPI

Here's the complete list we included in our study, starting with the No. 1 program, Cal-State Fullerton, which earned a composite score of 46.

020316-graf-college-baseball-programs-study.png

Methodology

To rank the NCAA’s College World Series-eligible baseball programs, we considered two factors: their annual average expenses over a 10-year period, according to the Department of Education’s Equity in Athletics Data, as well as their annual average RPI over the same period. We gave the former metric a 20 % weighting and the latter metric an 80 % weighting.

It should be noted that the DOE only provided expenses for public institutions; programs under the guise of private universities and colleges are not subject to the same openness.

The DOE’s office of secondary education defines “expenses” as anything “attributable to intercollegiate athletic activities. This includes appearance guarantees and options, athletically related student aid, contract services, equipment, fundraising activities, operating expenses, promotional activities, recruiting expenses, salaries and benefits, supplies, travel, and any other expenses attributable to intercollegiate athletic activities.”

“RPI” is short for “Rating Performance Index” and is used for many sports leagues, both amateur and professional. It uses a formula to calculate the quality of a team by valuing road wins and losses above and below those on those achieved at home, for example. We relied upon the NCAA’s archive, seeking data from 2004 to ‘13. We also included schools (marked with an asterisk above) for which we didn’t find a complete 10 years’ worth of RPIs.

Best College Baseball Programs of the Past Decade

Last edited:
I meant to post on this topic a while back and just got busy and didn't get around to it. There's some interesting things...

Look at where Cal State Fullerton and UC Irvine are on the second list. That's what CDS gave up to come here. He's obviously making more money here and the cost of living is lower, but he didn't have to compete with football for resources out there.

According to the second list, we are far behind the other SEC schools.

It would be interesting to know how our recruiting budget stacks up to other teams and obviously we already know we are behind the curve in the facilities/upgrades arms race in baseball.

Reactions: 2 people
It would be interesting to know how our recruiting budget stacks up to other teams and obviously we already know we are behind the curve in the facilities/upgrades arms race in baseball.

I believe the first chart with expenses include everything related to the program including recruiting budgets, game day operations, field maintenance, etc..and also televising of games. :)

This is pretty crazy...I took the 2nd list, and cross referenced it with who was currently leading their conference...

ACC - Miami was #10 on the list, Louisville #54

Big South - Coastal Carolina #21

Big 12 - Texas Tech #68

Big East - Creighton #80

Big West - Cal State Fullerton #1

Conference USA - Southern Miss #17, Rice # 11

Mid American - Kent State #48

Pac 12 - Utah #196, Cal #63, Washington #88

SEC - Florida #26, South Carolina #15, Texas A&M #16

Southland - Southeastern Louisiana #56

Sunbelt - South Alabama #63

Summit League - Oral Roberts #43

SWAC - Alabama State #292 ( I mention them because we play them soon, they are 15-0 in their conference.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
This is pretty crazy...I took the 2nd list, and cross referenced it with who was currently leading their conference...

ACC - Miami was #10 on the list, Louisville #54

Big South - Coastal Carolina #21

Big 12 - Texas Tech #68

Big East - Creighton #80

Big West - Cal State Fullerton #1

Conference USA - Southern Miss #17, Rice # 11

Mid American - Kent State #48

Pac 12 - Utah #196, Cal #63, Washington #88

SEC - Florida #26, South Carolina #15, Texas A&M #16

Southland - Southeastern Louisiana #56

Sunbelt - South Alabama #63

Summit League - Oral Roberts #43

SWAC - Alabama State #292 ( I mention them because we play them soon, they are 15-0 in their conference.)

Make that 18-0 now! :)

VN Store

Back