The Halfway Point

vol66

GBO!!!
Staff member
17-11.

3-6.

A Bag of Hot-n-Spicy Fried Pork Skins and a 12 Pack of Beer.

28 Regular Season Games to Go.

We're looking down the barrel of a week in which we play our toughest mid week game of the year and we are certainly facing the best SEC Team we've seen yet.

We're coming off of a weekend where all three starters made it through 7 IP...for the first time this year. That's nice.

But we didn't win...enough. It's hard to feel good about it because our opponents bring in a guy who throws 92 MPH or better and we bring a guy throwing 78 MPH and even if that's the change up 87 MPH is as good as it gets. Our relief has gotten shellacked.

You can't blame it all on the pitching, we scored 1 run today after Cox was lifted, they scored 7.

The defense was good this weekend until about the 8th inning of game 3 and versus the SEC we actually have played really well compared to previous seasons.

Half a Bag of Hot-n-Spicy Fried Pork Skins and a 10 Pack of Beer.

Several Hours to Cool Off.

The rest of this season is not going to be for the meek.

What say you?

How you feeling about where we are?

About where we are going?

What would you do, what will you do?

Do you still care?

Anything, let it out...

Because we're at the Half Way Point and... Three Beers, a Bag of Hot-n-Spicy Fried Pork Skins are Gone.

GBO!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Today was disappointing. Yesterday's loss was not as bad because it was a well played baseball game and we came up a little short.

The early season success against non SEC teams gave me hope and I still want to believe. Still waiting for the pitching to come around and match what the offense has done for much of the season. If we had a serviceable bullpen our record could be much better.

I still hold out hope we can win a few series, but I also know our schedule is not easy and our pitching is not up to par.

I am in until the end.

As an outsider, I will say that I think it's a much better baseball team than previous years.

The problem is that while Tennessee is clearly better, it isn't good enough. Not in this conference.

Lack of pitching depth has been a killer and it will probably get uglier because I am not sure the starters will continue to produce quality starts like they have the rest of the year.

I don't know what the answer is.

Reactions: 2 people
As an outsider, I will say that I think it's a much better baseball team than previous years.

The problem is that while Tennessee is clearly better, it isn't good enough. Not in this conference.

Lack of pitching depth has been a killer and it will probably get uglier because I am not sure the starters will continue to produce quality starts like they have the rest of the year.

I don't know what the answer is.

Not to be picky, but this weekend is really the first weekend that all of the starters had quality starts. Soto got thrown into the rotation because Hunter Martin hadn't gotten out of the first inning in his previous two weekend starts.

How ya been 99?

My prediction for the second half is we are going to start hearing a lot about Cliff Godwin

Not to be picky, but this weekend is really the first weekend that all of the starters had quality starts. Soto got thrown into the rotation because Hunter Martin hadn't gotten out of the first inning in his previous two weekend starts.

How ya been 99?

Doing fine. Hope all is well with you.

If memory serves (I followed some of your game threads), they had pretty good starts against Ole Miss and Alabama for two of the three games, maybe I am incorrect.

I'll phrase it this way. I have thought that typically Tennessee's starter has thrown well enough for Tennessee to win the game or be in position to win the game. In other words, he's given his team a chance. It goes bad because they are left in too long due to a reluctance to go to the bullpen OR they are pulled at the proper time and the bullpen does what the coaches are afraid of.

And all of this puts pressure on everybody. I am sure that the lineup feels that no lead is safe or no amount of runs are enough. The starter feels like he has to have a dominant start or else it won't end well.

Just makes things tougher.

Last edited:
SEC play has certainly been frustrating and disappointing so far. All 3 series have been very winnable and we just haven't gotten it done.

The starting pitching has been decent, but other than Warren, you really can't count on anybody each time out. You really don't know what you're going to get. I know losing KS hurt, but we haven't seen his potential the first two years and it's no guarantee we were going to see it this year either.

The bullpen has been bad. Honestly, Lipinski and Kane may be the only quality SEC arms we have on the back end and even they have been knocked around some. Other guys like Vazquez, AHC, and Neely have talent and may be starters down the road, but they're all just too young to really come in and succeed the way we are asking them to in the SEC.

The hitting has been so much better, but has dipped some as expected in conference play. I would say 2-5 in the lineup are excellent offensive players. The other spots may not start or play for the majority of SEC teams.

Overall, I've been most disappointed with the pitching. That was Serrano's calling card and we just haven't seen much development. I like the switch in philosophy offensively, but is it too little too late? And I know our recruiting has been hit hard by the draft, but other teams somehow always make it work with those same issues.

Having said all that, I'm still in till the end because I love the Vols and the game of baseball. I think the ceiling for this team is Hoover, as I see a regional bid as unattainable at this point. I'm also on the fence with Serrano at this point. His track record has been so good that part of me thinks he's got to turn it around. Then another part of me says he's had more than enough time and hasn't gotten it done. Next years team loses a lot as well, so it may not get any better. I guess only time will tell.

Sorry for such a long post!

SEC play has certainly been frustrating and disappointing so far. All 3 series have been very winnable and we just haven't gotten it done.

The starting pitching has been decent, but other than Warren, you really can't count on anybody each time out. You really don't know what you're going to get. I know losing KS hurt, but we haven't seen his potential the first two years and it's no guarantee we were going to see it this year either.

The bullpen has been bad. Honestly, Lipinski and Kane may be the only quality SEC arms we have on the back end and even they have been knocked around some. Other guys like Vazquez, AHC, and Neely have talent and may be starters down the road, but they're all just too young to really come in and succeed the way we are asking them to in the SEC.

The hitting has been so much better, but has dipped some as expected in conference play. I would say 2-5 in the lineup are excellent offensive players. The other spots may not start or play for the majority of SEC teams.

Overall, I've been most disappointed with the pitching. That was Serrano's calling card and we just haven't seen much development. I like the switch in philosophy offensively, but is it too little too late? And I know our recruiting has been hit hard by the draft, but other teams somehow always make it work with those same issues.

Having said all that, I'm still in till the end because I love the Vols and the game of baseball. I think the ceiling for this team is Hoover, as I see a regional bid as unattainable at this point. I'm also on the fence with Serrano at this point. His track record has been so good that part of me thinks he's got to turn it around. Then another part of me says he's had more than enough time and hasn't gotten it done. Next years team loses a lot as well, so it may not get any better. I guess only time will tell.

Sorry for such a long post!

That is not a long post. Even by VN standards.

Doing fine. Hope all is well with you.

If memory serves (I followed some of your game threads), they had pretty good starts against Ole Miss and Alabama for two of the three games, maybe I am incorrect.

I'll phrase it this way. I have thought that typically Tennessee's starter has thrown well enough for Tennessee to win the game or be in position to win the game. In other words, he's given his team a chance. It goes bad because they are left in too long due to a reluctance to go to the bullpen OR they are pulled at the proper time and the bullpen does what the coaches are afraid of.

And all of this puts pressure on everybody. I am sure that the lineup feels that no lead is safe or no amount of runs are enough. The starter feels like he has to have a dominant start or else it won't end well.

Just makes things tougher.

All is well...well 'cept the baseball team...

Do you guys have any freshman/JUCO guys contributing in a big way?

All is well...well 'cept the baseball team...

Do you guys have any freshman/JUCO guys contributing in a big way?

Richie Martin was last season's SS. They moved Dalton Guthrie (last year's 2B) to SS.

A FR, Deacon Liput, plays 2B. A FR, Jonathan India plays 3B (replacing Josh Tobias). A FR, Nelson Maldonado plays LF (replacing Harrison Bader).

Buddy Reed (CF) and Peter Alonso (1B) are the only juniors in the starting 9 (including the DH). There are no seniors in the starting lineup.

Richie Martin was last season's SS. They moved Dalton Guthrie (last year's 2B) to SS.

A FR, Deacon Liput, plays 2B. A FR, Jonathan India plays 3B (replacing Josh Tobias). A FR, Nelson Maldonado plays LF (replacing Harrison Bader).

Buddy Reed (CF) and Peter Alonso (1B) are the only juniors in the starting 9 (including the DH). There are no seniors in the starting lineup.

Amazing

Recruit elite talent and keep them away from the $ and schools can win very quickly without experienced players

You guys only have one senior anyway right? Been a while , but I thought when I looked at you and VU's roster in the off season...like 1 for each team or something like that.

I was really asking regarding your rotation...any freshman/JUCO's with that?

Last edited:
You guys only have one senior anyway right? Been a while , but I thought when I looked at you and VU's roster in the off season...like 1 for each team or something like that.

I was really asking regarding your rotation...any freshman/JUCO's with that?

They use a freshman starter mid-week, Jackson Kowar. He came into the game today when AJ Puk left early due to a muscle spasm. They use a freshman out of the bullpen, Brady Singer. However, their main bullpen guys...Shaun Anderson, Kirby Snead, Dane Dunning, and Frank Rubio are juniors.

In looking this stuff up, I was amazed but unless I am reading something incorrectly, they don't have a JUCO on the roster.

They use a freshman starter mid-week, Jackson Kowar. He came into the game today when AJ Puk left early due to a muscle spasm. They use a freshman out of the bullpen, Brady Singer. However, their main bullpen guys...Shaun Anderson, Kirby Snead, Dane Dunning, and Frank Rubio are juniors.

In looking this stuff up, I was amazed but unless I am reading something incorrectly, they don't have a JUCO on the roster.

You are not incorrect...I remember thinking the same thing...probably after signing day/draft...

I went through all the rosters and I noticed you guys and VU along with a couple of the western teams had few if any JUCO's and few if any seniors.

I know I know...I need to get a life is the way they say it I think. :p

Places like Vandy and florida dont need juco guys to win

Lure the first round talents to come to School and let them play

The Vols don't have enough quality pitchers to win SEC series. I'm not shocked with what has happened this season. In the tough SEC it's tough to win series without a arsenal of quality pitchers.

It's going to be a tough season. At best they may get 2 good weekends where they benefit from the teams playing bad. The good weekends not twice in a row. Or maybe only 1 late in the season with the vols win a series playing a team with nothing to play for with the seeds all locked up.

This is how vol baseball works!!!! On Friday they make you a believer "we're gonna win this series "..... On Saturday they always almost win but get beat by 1"dang almost had that ".....And on Sunday they get destroyed "WTF just happened "... Sad but am I wrong?

Reactions: 1 person

Oh and sorry...the reason I was asking about freshman pitchers...I know trust is earned and that has to be there to throw a freshman on the mound in SEC play, but I've kind of felt like Serrano has been more apt to go with an upperclassmen or newly signed JUCO over a freshman that might be highly touted coming out of high school.

Not just this year, but since he's been here.

For instance, Eric Freeman might as well be a freshman in terms of experience. He had about the same experience coming into the season as sophomore Aaron Soto, but Soto had to earn his shot today...that kind of thing....

Last edited:
The Vols don't have enough quality pitchers to win SEC series. I'm not shocked with what has happened this season. In the tough SEC it's tough to win series without a arsenal of quality pitchers.

It's going to be a tough season. At best they may get 2 good weekends where they benefit from the teams playing bad. The good weekends not twice in a row. Or maybe only 1 late in the season with the vols win a series playing a team with nothing to play for with the seeds all locked up.

Good to hear from you Firestorm! Been wondering about you, where ya been?

This is how vol baseball works!!!! On Friday they make you a believer "we're gonna win this series "..... On Saturday they always almost win but get beat by 1"dang almost had that ".....And on Sunday they get destroyed "WTF just happened "... Sad but am I wrong?

No, not wrong as for this season thus far.

Oh and sorry...the reason I was asking about freshman pitchers...I know trust is earned and that has to be there to throw a freshman on the mound in SEC play, but I've kind of felt like Serrano has been more apt to go with an upperclassmen or newly signed JUCO over a freshman that might be highly touted coming out of high school.

Not just this year, but since he's been here.

For instance, Eric Freeman might as well be a freshman in terms of experience. He had about the same experience coming into the season as sophomore Aaron Soto, but Soto had to earn his shot today...that kind of thing....

O'Sullivan has trusted freshman before. All of the Florida starters were weekend starters as true freshman. Having said that, Sullivan has had depth and a bullpen for awhile now. So, it's less of a risk. If a freshman had struggled, he could move that guy down and bring someone else up and it wouldn't be a big deal.

But, to answer the main idea of your question, he's not afraid to play 1st year players if he thinks they are his best players.

O'Sullivan has trusted freshman before. All of the Florida starters were weekend starters as true freshman. Having said that, Sullivan has had depth and a bullpen for awhile now. So, it's less of a risk. If a freshman had struggled, he could move that guy down and bring someone else up and it wouldn't be a big deal.

But, to answer the main idea of your question, he's not afraid to play 1st year players if he thinks they are his best players.

Thanks 99, that was the gist. :hi:

Thanks 99, that was the gist. :hi:

I know what you are hinking but Florida's freshmen that were in that rotation are no where close to our talent

Warren started midweek last year and developed because of it but the freshmen you named in another post are no where close to being high mlb draft talents like Floridas guys

The problem CDS has had is not getting the same kind of elite talent on his roster that how he has developed them IMO

VN Store

Back