What's The TV/Stream Deal?

vol66

GBO!!!
Staff member
It looks like today's game is audio only...again.

When I look at ESPN3 every other SEC school is either on TV or getting streamed via ESPN3.

Of course, this isn't the first time this has happened...IT KEEPS HAPPENING.

Once we get into SEC ball those games will have a video outlet, but not the midweek games.

I'm sick of this and I'd like for someone to ask UT why we are the only school left out of the mix consistently and why they can't provide a stream when ESPN chooses not to show our game on one of their platforms.

END RANT

GBO!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Well that sucks. I assumed since tomorrow's game was going to be streamed, one of today's would. But at least we can watch USC Upstate vs Kentucky - unbelievable.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think it's ESPN not "choosing" us. If UT wanted to, I believe all the home games could have been streamed through ESPN 3. UT just has to provide the play by play team and any other technical things that come with the broadcast.

I believe neither game today will be streamed because the game today wasn't planned to have it anyway. And moving tomorrow's game to today probably threw off the schedule for the broadcast team and others who may have other commitments today.

If Auburn can stream a 3 game series against Southern and UGA vs Lipscomb, etc, then I think UT can do it vs a well respected UC Irvine program. That's why I say that's UT not doing it for whatever reason and not ESPN shafting us.

We haven't had a home weekend series yet till this weekend so that's part of why we haven't had the ESPN 3 broadcasts, but if I was UT I would do all I can to make all home games, midweek and weekend, available online. Missed opportunity for exposure and fan support IMO.

Well that sucks. I assumed since tomorrow's game was going to be streamed, one of today's would. But at least we can watch USC Upstate vs Kentucky - unbelievable.

Or in the 1 PM slot, Eastern Michigan VS. Wright State? :banghead2:

Not only is every other team having their game on SECN+/ESPN3 today, Florida has both games streamed.

Yesterday's game is the only one we've had streamed on SECN+/ESPN3 this season. It's beyond silly.

I don't think it's ESPN not "choosing" us. If UT wanted to, I believe all the home games could have been streamed through ESPN 3. UT just has to provide the play by play team and any other technical things that come with the broadcast.

I believe neither game today will be streamed because the game today wasn't planned to have it anyway. And moving tomorrow's game to today probably threw off the schedule for the broadcast team and others who may have other commitments today.

If Auburn can stream a 3 game series against Southern and UGA vs Lipscomb, etc, then I think UT can do it vs a well respected UC Irvine program. That's why I say that's UT not doing it for whatever reason and not ESPN shafting us.

We haven't had a home weekend series yet till this weekend so that's part of why we haven't had the ESPN 3 broadcasts, but if I was UT I would do all I can to make all home games, midweek and weekend, available online. Missed opportunity for exposure and fan support IMO.

You maybe right and I appreciate your feedback. What I'm hoping for is an explanation from UT and the only way we'll get that is if Dopriak, Rucker or Parker ask them the question, that's what I'm hoping for here and the more people who express opinions here the better. Thanks!

Nothing screams fantastic match up like 7-5 Oral Roberts at 6-9 Auburn.

It's strange because it felt like at this point last year way more games had been streamed. I may be wrong but the same type stuff happened with the basketball team only it was hardly any of their pre-SEC games were on the SECN and were just on SECN+.

I think Title IX qualifies baseball streaming as a "microaggression" and with the militant, blue hairs and Subarus driving Lady Volistas screaming about their cute logo along with the federal suit and all the ambulance chaser on campus looking for an easy buck the school did not want to take a chance.

I think Title IX qualifies baseball streaming as a "microaggression" and with the militant, blue hairs and Subarus driving Lady Volistas screaming about their cute logo along with the federal suit and all the ambulance chaser on campus looking for an easy buck the school did not want to take a chance.

Well at first I thought this was "out there" but...they DID stream the softball team today. Not only that I believe every SEC softball team had a game streamed today.

In other words, every school in the SEC streamed/or TV'd both their baseball teams and softball teams today except for one.

Tennessee.

You know "One Tennessee."

Every time Hart or the coaches get in front of a mic they talk about the great fans, but they take us for granted, thinking we'll show up no matter what, take whatever scraps they give us...I'm about over it.

While I'm at it...

Throwing up some scaffolding and plywood, a few grills, rocking chairs and picnic tables and calling it "The Porch" is NOT investing in the program. It's looking at what else that is out there and trying to make do with as little investment as possible.

maybe deerpark can explain it - he seems to know all the TV stuff but I havent seen him post lately

If you didn't get to watch the game wouldn't it be nice to watch a replay on ESPN3?

Here's a list of Today's SEC college baseball games ready for replay right now:

BASEBALL

Two Missouri vs. Youngstown games

South Carolina vs, Charleston Southern

Florida vs. Harvard

Two Kentucky vs. USC Upstate games

Auburn vs. Orel Roberts

TAMU vs. Fresno State

BAMA vs. Houston

Arky vs. Western Illinois

MSU vs. Oregon

Vandy vs. Xavier

UGA vs. Lipscomb

LSU vs. Ball State is on right now

Ole Miss vs. Grambling was cancelled today but was scheduled for SECN according to the Ole Miss schedule.

Last edited:
I wonder if the opponent has anything to do with it. Maybe Irvine has some sort of deal where they can only be shown X number of times or something. I have no clue if that is what is going on, but I would guess it could be a reason.

If nothing else, consider recruiting.

Out-of-State kids would be more apt to attend if there parents and friends could watch games.

I just emailed Barry Rice who is the Assistant Athletics Director for Broadcasting asking for clarification why we don't have more games available for viewing. I will let you know what he says...

Barry Rice
Assistant Athletics Director for Broadcasting
(865) 974-9251
brice@tennessee.edu

Last edited:
I have been following the softball games for a while and all the home games use to be streamed before ESPN took over,now your lucky to get a live audio of the games that ESPN doesn't broadcast

I think that UT can do a better job of getting a live stream to the home games,but I have no idea why they don't

I don't know what the issue is but there's really no good excuse to not have broadcasted this last weekend series.

I thought one of the main points of the SECN/SECN+ was that we would get more lesser known sports televised and streamed. With as much money is that and ESPN are making, there's no excuse that most of our baseball games aren't streaming.

I'm going to assume that almost all of our SEC games will be streaming.

It looks like today's game is audio only...again.

When I look at ESPN3 every other SEC school is either on TV or getting streamed via ESPN3.

Of course, this isn't the first time this has happened...IT KEEPS HAPPENING.

Once we get into SEC ball those games will have a video outlet, but not the midweek games.

I'm sick of this and I'd like for someone to ask UT why we are the only school left out of the mix consistently and why they can't provide a stream when ESPN chooses not to show our game on one of their platforms.

END RANT

GBO!!!

All of the SEC Network+/ESPN3 productions are done by the schools and streamed thru the ESPN platform. To be streamed, they have to be TV broadcast quality.

UT has decided not to spend the money it costs (about $5-6000 per game) to produce every baseball and softball game, instead choosing to devote resources to do a better production for a smaller number of games. UT is one of the only schools choosing to do it this way.

Most schools are streaming all of their baseball and softball games. Softball games actually pull bigger numbers than baseball, both on TV and online, nationally.

Complain to UT's broadcasting department, not ESPN. ESPN would love to have us stream every game like most other schools.

Last edited:
All of the SEC Network+/ESPN3 productions are done by the schools and streamed thru the ESPN platform. To be streamed, they have to be TV broadcast quality.

UT has decided not to spend the money it costs (about $5-6000 per game) to produce every baseball and softball game, instead choosing to devote resources to do a better production for a smaller number of games. UT is one of the only schools choosing to do it this way.

Most schools are streaming all of their baseball and softball games. Softball games actually pull bigger numbers than baseball, both on TV and online, nationally.

Complain to UT's broadcasting department, not ESPN. ESPN would love to have us stream every game like most other schools.

Is the $5-6,000 a broadcast fee for ESPN or just production cost or a combination of both? Who gets the advertising revenue? Or is it a split?

I just emailed Barry Rice who is the Assistant Athletics Director for Broadcasting asking for clarification why we don't have more games available for viewing. I will let you know what he says...

Barry Rice
Assistant Athletics Director for Broadcasting
(865) 974-9251
brice@tennessee.edu

Still no word from Mr. Rice, everyone feel free to contact him with similar questions...

VN Store

Back