2016 Vols Baseball Preview - Pitching

vol66

GBO!!!
Staff member
INTRO

As everyone knows we lost two of our three weekend starters and arguably the best reliever in Andrew Lee. Lee earned 9 of the team's 14 saves, 5 of the 6 in SEC play.

One of the brightest spots last season was freshman Jacob Westphal's performance, that is, until he went down with the elbow injury forcing him to have TJ surgery. At the time I said that would be the biggest loss for this season, bigger than any one player lost to the draft. Why?

He pitched 19 total innings in 12 appearances and his ERA was 3.79. That's not bad for a freshman.

The real stat to check is how he did in the SEC games, after all 12.1 of his 19 innings were in SEC play.

Lee pitched 3.1 more innings in SEC play at 15.2, let's compare...

Lee - 4.02 ERA, 17 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 2 BB, 15 SO, 3 2B, 1 HR, 1 WP, 1 HBP, .298 b/avg.

W'phal - 2.19 ERA, 9 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 9 BB, 7 SO, 5 2B, 0 HR, 2 WP, 0 HBP, .209 b/avg.

Obviously, Lee was the #1 reliever and the book was out on him and Westphal got a break in that regard, but those numbers are outstanding, the .209 b/avg was best on the team only Bret Marks was close at .220.

All of the other guys who made SEC relief appearances like Serrano, Kane, Lenstrohm and Hunter Martin had ERA's over 7+.

So, I just wanted to give Mr. Westphal some kudos and wish him as speedy of a recovery as possible. We're going to miss him this season.

Moving on...Coach Serrano is on record saying this is the deepest staff he's had in his time at Tennessee, let's take a look.

THE LEFTIES

Andy Cox - Three words come to mind when speaking of Andy Cox. Lucky. Injury. Leader. Cox is now a senior and had someone told me that he would make it to his senior season after the year he had as a sophomore I would have thought that person was crazy. There are two big factors as to why Mr. Cox is still around. He took the summer off after his sophomore year rather than what would have likely been a summer in the Cape, so he missed out on some exposure. Then to begin last season, he was slowed due to injury and wasn't at full strength, if he ever was, until the end of the season. So, we're lucky to have him to lead this staff. It sounds like Serrano might go a different direction on Fridays, but Cox certainly is the favorite for the weekend rotation and he's proven his versatility in relief and as a closer. If he can regain his sophomore form, it would be big for the staff.

Zach Warren - Mr. Warren gained valuable experience last year almost all in the mid week and his .247 b/avg was identical to the aforementioned Cox. However, Warren blew up in Alaska leading the ABL with 52 strike outs. He put up the same type of numbers that Marks did the summer before. Now it appears he is battling Kyle Serrano for the Friday spot in the rotation. It seems to me that CDS likes to have a guy with a really tough mental make up, bulldog-isn if you will and Warren showed that type of mentality out in Alaska. He averaged 6 innings for every start. We're going to need both of them, but that seems like a great starting point. Warren is already on the Orleans Firebirds roster so a good season before heading to the Cape would be big for him, should be motivated.

Aaron Soto - Soto is one of the guys I mean when I say some of the younger guys were really hurt due to the weather at the beginning of the season. He pitched only 4.1 innings last year. Like Warren, he had a fantastic summer as a reliever in Alaska putting up a ridiculous 1.03 ERA, no wild pitches in 43.2 innings, 24K/9BB. He uses different arm slots and might be the most entertaining pitcher on the roster. Obviously he's going to have to prove himself versus SEC hitters, but going into the season he's probably the first guy off the bench. Soto will be headed to the Cape as well, playing for Brewster.

Zach Reid - He got even less opportunity pitching only 1 inning last year, but he wore it out over in the Coastal Plains League during summer ball. He was one of the best relievers/closers in the league posting a 5-3 record, 1.70 ERA, 45 K/18 BB through 42.1 innings. He made the all star game as did Warren and Soto.

Alex Harper-Cook - The freshman from Maryville has been getting some opportunities to show what he can do based on the practice schedules that have been released. We'll have to wait and see what he will bring to the table.

In my opinion this is the best group of left handers we've had during CDS' tenure and gives us quite a bit of flexibility on an everyday basis.

THE RIGHTIES

Kyle Serrano - What can you say that hasn't been said? All the tools, live arm but thus far Mr. Serrano just hasn't been quite able to put it all together. He had a very solid summer and improved in an area which was needed. His K/BB ratio was 38/13 and in his SEC appearances last season it was 25/15 but...still he had 6 WP and 7 HBP. If he can clean up that area he'll be on his way. He was one of the top 20, close to top 15 pitchers in the Cape and as one can tell by looking at draft projections the pros think he has a bright future. Simply put, if he manages to put it all together it might be enough to change the outlook of the season, he could be THAT good. Fingers crossed.

Hunter Martin - Martin started unhealthy and I don't think he really improved much over the course of the season and he never got his freshman groove back. Hopefully he turned the corner this summer. He racked up a respectable 3.17 ERA and finished off with a 6.2 innings, 5 H, 0 R, 4 K, 2 BB in the Cape Playoffs. If he can improve his K/BB ratio he can be a very big contributor to the team, he's got quite a bit of SEC experience under the belt now too. Almost forgot to mention, Martin and Jordan Sheffield both played for Brewster, both started 4 games, Sheffield's ERA was 5.49.

Steven Kane - Kane gave us plenty of innings last year in relief and it was a bit of a mixed bag. It appears he is being given an opportunity for a starting spot based on the practice schedules. CDS sees something in Kane, he basically supplanted Peter Lenstrohm as the season wore on. Based on last year alone it's hard to see him as a starter but the same would have been said for Bret Marks the year before or even Drake Owenby last year. This is a wait and see, but we need all the help we can get.

Eric Freeman - Finally. It appears, like Kane, that Freeman is getting a shot for a starter role. The difference is we can't have any idea what to expect as he's pitched 1 inning in 2 years at Tennessee. He's a big kid and this summer he got a shot to start for the Valley Blue Sox and he was pretty solid only having one bad outing. As the season wore on he was used more in relief, but he put a solid .280 ERA. CDS has said some good things lately about his performance in practice as of late. That kid has had a long road so far, I hope he catches a break and balls out this season.

After that we have some very promising freshman, Will Neely has been getting a shot, CDS has mentioned Daniel Vasquez a time or two. JUCO Jon Lipinski seems like someone who will be counted on to contribute early and there is Quint Robinson and Richard Jackson who return for their second season at UT. Both had sort of average summers after not getting many opportunities to pitch as freshman. If a couple of these guys can exceed expectations we'd be in pretty good shape.

Hopefully all the players make it through practice without any injuries, that's key. I agree with CDS that this is probably the deepest staff he's had. It will be interesting to see who steps up. Here's to hoping we have decent weather and guys can get their work in during the run up to SEC play.

One week!

GBO!!!

Reactions: 2 people
if we can get just enough out of our starting pitching and bullpen by committee, we might be good enough...

Lipinski is the designated closer at the moment. I've heard thru the grapevine he's preformed very well so far this "winter".

Reactions: 1 person
if we can get just enough out of our starting pitching and bullpen by committee, we might be good enough...

Lipinski is the designated closer at the moment. I've heard thru the grapevine he's preformed very well so far this "winter".

Welp, that's good to know...on Lipinski, I really hope so...

VN Store

Back