19 TCU
20 Florida State
21 Cal State Fullerton
22 Houston
23 Texas
24 Coastal Carolina
25 Arkansas

Comment from Kendall Rogers regarding Tennessee:
Actually think the Vols have a chance to be OK if things go their way this season. The rotation should be fine if Kyle Serrano, Andy Cox and others pitch as expected, and Vincent Jackson and of course Nick Senzel are two table setters for the Vols. Even improved, it’s just tough to get real traction in a league like the SEC. The competition is just ridiculously strong.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Well, if there's any positive way to spin it, of the Western Teams in the T25, we only play LSU.

Reactions: 2 people
Football is over so it's almost baseball time. Hopefully it is a good year.

Tough sledding but, hey, who knows what could happen.
I think we're due for a SEC title...:)

GO BIG ORANGE!

I sure hope that we surprise a lot of people in baseball this year! Being a bottom feeder is getting old!

Reactions: 1 person
Well, if there's any positive way to spin it, of the Western Teams in the T25, we only play LSU.

Already making plans to attend SEC Tournament in May. Of course, we've been going to Hoover for 12 years. Sure hope to see the Vols there again this year. I'm optimistic.

D1 Baseball Pre-Season Top 25

7 SEC teams
6 ACC Teams
5 PAC-12 Teams
3 Big 12 Teams

1 Florida
2 Louisville
3 Vanderbilt
4 Texas A&M
5 Oregon State
6 Miami
7 LSU
8 Oklahoma State
9 California
10 NC State
11 UCLA
12 Southern California
13 Virginia
14 Oregon
15 Mississippi State
16 North Carolina
17 South Carolina
18 Louisiana-Lafayette
19 TCU
20 Florida State
21 Cal State Fullerton
22 Houston
23 Texas
24 Coastal Carolina
25 Arkansas

Comment from Kendall Rogers regarding Tennessee:
Actually think the Vols have a chance to be OK if things go their way this season. The rotation should be fine if Kyle Serrano, Andy Cox and others pitch as expected, and Vincent Jackson and of course Nick Senzel are two table setters for the Vols. Even improved, it’s just tough to get real traction in a league like the SEC. The competition is just ridiculously strong.

I've never really followed UT baseball, but looking back, they don't look like a powerhouse. What is UT like and what are some reasonable expectations?

I've never really followed UT baseball, but looking back, they don't look like a powerhouse. What is UT like and what are some reasonable expectations?

I think expectations by most are pretty low for this season. Much of that has to do with the fact that the expectations for last year were high for a veteran group of players and we didn't have the season anyone would have liked. We lost a lot of production to the draft as well as more signees than originally thought.

In a lot of ways, this team is like starting over. Other than Senzel at 3B (new to him as he played 2B last year) and catcher, every infield positon will be played by a new player.
The weekend rotation is up in the air. We have a new coach in Larry Simcox so the offensive philosophy might be different, and the head coach is in the last year of his contract.

Personally, I'm excited about the season and sometimes new can actually mean better. There are some freshman that are very talented and some pitchers that got nearly no action last year that might be good for us, certainly the best group of LHP's CDS has had to work with here.

I think everyone is concerned about the offense because we lost almost all the big hitters to the draft. VJax and Senzel, then it's a complete unknown.

On the other hand I'm dreading the season because after the first loss the "Fire Serrano!" chants will start. That's the only prediction I'm uber confident in. :p

I'm kind of a glass half full person, we have a favorable schedule, keeping my fingers crossed about the early season weather....GBO!!!

Last edited:
I think expectations by most are pretty low for this season. Much of that has to do with the fact that the expectations for last year were high for a veteran group of players and we didn't have the season anyone would have liked. We lost a lot of production to the draft as well as more signees than originally thought.

In a lot of ways, this team is like starting over. Other than Senzel at 3B (new to him as he played 2B last year) and catcher, every infield positon will be played by a new player.
The weekend rotation is up in the air. We have a new coach in Larry Simcox so the offensive philosophy might be different, and the head coach is in the last year of his contract.

Personally, I'm excited about the season and sometimes new can actually mean better. There are some freshman that are very talented and some pitchers that got nearly no action last year that might be good for us, certainly the best group of LHP's CDS has had to work with here.

I think everyone is concerned about the offense because we lost almost all the big hitters to the draft. VJax and Senzel, then it's a complete unknown.

On the other hand I'm dreading the season because after the first loss the "Fire Serrano!" chants will start. That's the only prediction I'm uber confident in. :p

I'm kind of a glass half full person, we have a favorable schedule, keeping my fingers crossed about the early season weather....GBO!!!

Dittos 66.

I sure hope that we surprise a lot of people in baseball this year! Being a bottom feeder is getting old!

I feel ya. If Serrano doesnt put a descent season together this year, its time to start looking around. They need to knock the dust off the baseball check book, and make a top tier hire this time.

Last edited:
I feel ya. If Serrano doesnt put a descent season together this year, its time to start looking around. They need to knock the dust off the baseball check book, and make a top tier hire this time.

Yeh, instead of hiring a coach who's taken two separate teams to the College World Series, they hire a coach who's taken three or four teams to the College World Series.

They opened up the checkbook to get Serrano. I just think the rebuilding was harder than expected for whatever reason. The man pretty much built a team from scratch (Irvine) and took it to championship series.

So Tennessee was not being cheap when they hired CDS. Sometimes the fit is not right or the situation is more dire than expected.

No coach who Tennessee would hire in the future would be more highly thought of than Serrano was.

And I still believe he is the best person for the job and will get it done. I really do.

Reactions: 8 people
Yeh, instead of hiring a coach who's taken two separate teams to the College World Series, they hire a coach who's taken three or four teams to the College World Series.

They opened up the checkbook to get Serrano. I just think the rebuilding was harder than expected for whatever reason. The man pretty much built a team from scratch (Irvine) and took it to championship series
So Tennessee was not being cheap when they hired CDS. Sometimes the fit is not right or the situation is more dire than expected.

No coach who Tennessee would hire in the future would be more highly thought of than Serrano was.

And I still believe he is the best person for the job and will get it done. I really do.
Completely agree. For what it's worth, he was also team USA's U-21 coach at one point. We where just so bad before he got here.

They opened up the checkbook to get Serrano. I just think the rebuilding was harder than expected for whatever reason. The man pretty much built a team from scratch (Irvine) and took it to championship series.

I'm right there with ya

Dustin Dopirak
@TennesseeBeat: Stopped by UT baseball practice for a bit today. Saw Nick Senzel hit three straight BP pitches over the wall. One cleared the porch in left.

Dustin Dopirak
@TennesseeBeat: It was BP, but that's more impressive than you think, Coach is pitching from halfway between mound and home. Hitters have to generate...

Dustin Dopirak
@TennesseeBeat: ... a lot of their own power to take it out.

Dustin Dopirak
@TennesseeBeat: Now, at the moment, opponents look at Tennessee's roster and see no reason to ever throw Senzel a hittable pitch.

Dustin Dopirak
@TennesseeBeat: So much of Tennessee's fate will be determined by whether or not someone in the order steps up as protection.

About the only updates I have seen the last 2 weeks on baseball.

Reactions: 1 person
Dustin Dopirak
@TennesseeBeat: Stopped by UT baseball practice for a bit today. Saw Nick Senzel hit three straight BP pitches over the wall. One cleared the porch in left.

Dustin Dopirak
@TennesseeBeat: It was BP, but that's more impressive than you think, Coach is pitching from halfway between mound and home. Hitters have to generate...

Dustin Dopirak
@TennesseeBeat: ... a lot of their own power to take it out.

Dustin Dopirak
@TennesseeBeat: Now, at the moment, opponents look at Tennessee's roster and see no reason to ever throw Senzel a hittable pitch.

Dustin Dopirak
@TennesseeBeat: So much of Tennessee's fate will be determined by whether or not someone in the order steps up as protection.

About the only updates I have seen the last 2 weeks on baseball.

Thanks 31!

Who else can hit is obviously a big priority, wish he would have talked pitching or fielding but I guess they were indoors today, so probably not much to report. Updates have been hard to come by for sure.

VN Store

Back