GBO!!!
Staff member
1394943282000-Vols-baseball-at-missouri.jpg

40 days to go!

GBO!!!

Reactions: 5 people
31414-sports-hunter-martin-baseball.5149-650.jpg

38 days!

Seems as though Hunter Martin is switching to #12 this season.

GBO!!!

I've never really followed UT baseball, but looking back, they don't look like a powerhouse. What is UT like and what are some reasonable expectations?

Is this Serrano's make or break season?

More than likely. Another trip to the Hoover could possibly give him a 2 year extension. For those who support him like me, we wish Hart would go ahead and make that deal to benefit recruiting over the next few years......

Reactions: 1 person
More than likely. Another trip to the Hoover could possibly give him a 2 year extension. For those who support him like me, we wish Hart would go ahead and make that deal to benefit recruiting over the next few years......

Recruiting has been good

Getting those recruits to school have been the issue. A new contract wouldn't mean much in recruiting IMO

Recruiting has been good

Getting those recruits to school have been the issue. A new contract wouldn't mean much in recruiting IMO

I disagree with this. We have a good 2016 class, but we are far behind Vandy, UF and some others for '17 and '18. I believe CDS is accepting commits that would commit to Tennessee whether he was coach or not for those two classes.

Make no mistake, CDS is a lame duck coach. I'm not saying he deserves different but we are behind on the recruiting front imo.

I disagree with this. We have a good 2016 class, but we are far behind Vandy, UF and some others for '17 and '18. I believe CDS is accepting commits that would commit to Tennessee whether he was coach or not for those two classes.

Make no mistake, CDS is a lame duck coach. I'm not saying he deserves different but we are behind on the recruiting front imo.

Joe madden could have a lifetime contract as our coach and we wouldn't out recruit florida and Vandy. We will never beat a healthy florida program in recruiting due to location or Vandy unless the need based money is changed with the NCAA

Joe madden could have a lifetime contract as our coach and we wouldn't out recruit florida and Vandy. We will never beat a healthy florida program in recruiting due to location or Vandy unless the need based money is changed with the NCAA

There's a certain amount of truth in what you say, but it's very much a defeatist attitude.

It is not reasonable to think that a coach in the last year of his contract can be recruiting at a high level and when you're asking the same coach to out recruit the elite of the elite, well...

Baseball recruiting and recruiting for other sports, at least what I know about it share little from a timing standpoint.

If your over arching point is that any coach with these facilities, level of interest and "if it ain't football who cares" attitude would have a tough time being successful at Tennessee, there are plenty that would agree.

Vandy has 16 commits for the 2017 class we have 4, 12 for 2018 we have 2.

Last edited:

I know you are tired of hearing it but any recruiting discussion that in any way compares us to Vandy is apples to oranges. Think about how many commits they have had over the classes of 15-18. That # will be around 80. NCAA only allows 27 scholarship players on each roster. They aren't just working in a different class but a different universe than us. No coach or amount of work can compete with that

Very true.......

There's a certain amount of truth in what you say, but it's very much a defeatist attitude.

It is not reasonable to think that a coach in the last year of his contract can be recruiting at a high level and when you're asking the same coach to out recruit the elite of the elite, well...

Baseball recruiting and recruiting for other sports, at least what I know about it share little from a timing standpoint.

If your over arching point is that any coach with these facilities, level of interest and "if it ain't football who cares" attitude would have a tough time being successful at Tennessee, there are plenty that would agree.

Vandy has 16 commits for the 2017 class we have 4, 12 for 2018 we have 2.

Exactly right......

I know you are tired of hearing it but any recruiting discussion that in any way compares us to Vandy is apples to oranges. Think about how many commits they have had over the classes of 15-18. That # will be around 80. NCAA only allows 27 scholarship players on each roster. They aren't just working in a different class but a different universe than us. No coach or amount of work can compete with that

Very true again.....

As Aaron Fit said in my earlier thread,

The bottom line is that using academic and financial aid is not a “loophole.” The schools that have those advantages are playing within the rules, and a number of rival coaches told us they’d do the same thing if they had those resources at their disposal.

Is it fair that some schools can give out huge amounts of aid while others cannot? Nope. But college baseball is like life — it never has been fair, and it never will be. You can either complain about it, or you can put your head down and do your best with what you’ve got. The little guys have always had to do that; now some of the big boys are having to as well.

Tennessee and others may be at a competitive disadvantage however we cannot use that as an excuse and have to work harder and smarter when it comes to recruiting.

Now, that's a lot easier said then done........and that's why CDS and other D1 coaches need ample time to rebuild a program back to respectability.

All of that may be true, just talking Vandy here. Money aside, it appears to me that they are way out front in evaluating, offering and it's national...It's not just Vandy however...

2017 SEC Committments

Vanderbilt 16

South Carolina 14

LSU 13

Florida 11

Ole Miss 11

Arkansas 10

MSU 10

BAMA 9

UGA 9

Missouri 7

TAMU 5