Possible Replacement For Serrano?

sport3500

If Dave Hart has to replace Serrano, I think one option could be to check with Phil Garner and gauge his interest in coaching the team while also reaching out to Todd Helton and see what kind of interest he might have in a role on the squad.

If Dave Hart has to replace Serrano, I think one option could be to check with Phil Garner and gauge his interest in coaching the team while also reaching out to Todd Helton and see what kind of interest he might have in a role on the squad.

Just curious...why?

GO BASEVOLS!

Reactions: 2 people
Garner has managed in the major leagues and I think Helton could be the Chipper Jones type of coach that could help the hitters at UT.

Reactions: 1 person
First - UT has a coach.

Second - Phil Garner is 66 years old, he would be 67 years old when next season is over. He's been out of baseball for several years, not been a college head coach, and has no recruiting connections.

Third - Todd Helton is a future HOF'er. He has lived in Colorado as long as he lived in TN. He has a wife and kids and owns a ranch where he loves to hunt. He said this year it had been a year and a half since he even picked up a bat. He's never coached. He's never recruited. That screams "not interested" to me.

But keep the dream alive if you want.

Reactions: 7 people
They need somebody -- UF, Vandy, So Car, LSU all make this program look hopeless

With the hire of Larry Simcox, Serrano will get to coach atleast 2 more seasons.

Yes. The roster will be recruited and developed for a different style of hitting and D. IMO, make some progress this year and it all will be headed the right direction.

I do not understand starting a post like this now, like there has been all this bad/negativity around the baseball team the whole off season or something. I know he has not turned it around has quickly as most (and I hoped), but we all knew with his resume he would be given more time than most and the season has not even started. I mean come on man!

I do not understand starting a post like this now, like there has been all this bad/negativity around the baseball team the whole off season or something. I know he has not turned it around has quickly as most (and I hoped), but we all knew with his resume he would be given more time than most and the season has not even started. I mean come on man!

Year 5

Serrano is a way above average baseball coach, he cares about the program and even though the wins haven't come yet, he knows what he is doing. He is the right guy for the University of Tennessee. His teams have been competitive and he does everything the right way. It would be a tremendous setback to the program to even think about a new coach at this point.

Reactions: 6 people
Serrano is a way above average baseball coach, he cares about the program and even though the wins haven't come yet, he knows what he is doing. He is the right guy for the University of Tennessee. His teams have been competitive and he does everything the right way. It would be a tremendous setback to the program to even think about a new coach at this point.

I agree. Honestly, I don't think they can hire anyone better. I'd let him sit here until it gets figured out. What's the harm? Compared to Holly, he'll always look like a genius.

Jim Toman would be my first call, he's been in the SEC under Ray Tanner. He's taken Liberty baseball from the joke of the Big South to the favorite every year in a conference that was once dominated by Costal. He's recruited really well there and I like his aggressive style.

This is the toughest league in college baseball. If you didn't see the program improving even marginally, or Serrano making bad game decisions, or players not improving then I could see the replacement talk. But, we're not seeing that. We're seeing a coach take over a team in the toughest league in the country which had been allowed to decline into the abyss and he is slowly bringing it back. Be patient. I saw good baseball from the team last year. We still just don't have the horses everybody else does.

This is the toughest league in college baseball. If you didn't see the program improving even marginally, or Serrano making bad game decisions, or players not improving then I could see the replacement talk. But, we're not seeing that. We're seeing a coach take over a team in the toughest league in the country which had been allowed to decline into the abyss and he is slowly bringing it back. Be patient. I saw good baseball from the team last year. We still just don't have the horses everybody else does.

Tennessee isn't going to get the horses everyone else is getting until Serrano proves his system can work or until he changes it. The kids down here don't want to play small ball and yes Serrano did ALOT of things last year that left you scratching your head.

Why is there always some moron spouting of about hiring unqualified former athletes as head coaches just because they had a few math classes on the hill when they were in their late teens?

Serranno would still be more qualified to be head coach than anyone we could possibly hire. He took two separate teams to world series and worked as an assistant under some of the greatest coaches ever.

We hear whining about hiring guys with a track record and in baseball we did it!

There's no one on the horizon that could have done anything differently over the last few years. I see improvement year-to-year and last year's bad weather in February crushed any sort of consistency we could achieve.

Even then, look how bad we were in February -especially defensively, and look how much better we were playing at the end of the season

The program was set back so bad by the prior regime that Todd Raleigh should have been awarded a national championship ring by Vanderbilt. Serrano inherited a roster with maybe one upper classmen with SEC talent.

No he kind of faces another mini-rebuilding but nowhere near the extreme as when he first got here.

We can't have the weather trauma we had last year again, and even if we did, CDS scheduled to avoid as much of the muck as he could.

It's an El Niño year so that usually means drier and seasonable temps. And actually that normally means worse weather conditions to the deep south. So we may see Florida, LSU, Texas A&M deal with cooler, wetter temps in 2016 as we have the advantage for once.

We are seeing slow improvements now, I have to believe that some season we are going to see a team get hot early and stay hot to the end. Why not 2016?

Reactions: 7 people
Why is there always some moron spouting of about hiring unqualified former athletes as head coaches just because they had a few math classes on the hill when they were in their late teens?

Serranno would still be more qualified to be head coach than anyone we could possibly hire. He took two separate teams to world series and worked as an assistant under some of the greatest coaches ever.

We hear whining about hiring guys with a track record and in baseball we did it!

There's no one on the horizon that could have done anything differently over the last few years. I see improvement year-to-year and last year's bad weather in February crushed any sort of consistency we could achieve.

Even then, look how bad we were in February -especially defensively, and look how much better we were playing at the end of the season

The program was set back so bad by the prior regime that Todd Raleigh should have been awarded a national championship ring by Vanderbilt. Serrano inherited a roster with maybe one upper classmen with SEC talent.

No he kind of faces another mini-rebuilding but nowhere near the extreme as when he first got here.

We can't have the weather trauma we had last year again, and even if we did, CDS scheduled to avoid as much of the muck as he could.

It's an El Niño year so that usually means drier and seasonable temps. And actually that normally means worse weather conditions to the deep south. So we may see Florida, LSU, Texas A&M deal with cooler, wetter temps in 2016 as we have the advantage for once.

We are seeing slow improvements now, I have to believe that some season we are going to see a team get hot early and stay hot to the end. Why not 2016?

:thumbsup:

How long do you give it until they put the synthetic turf at LNS? I think that could be a huge help in on the field time.
My only problem pointing at the weather is look at teams like Maryland and UVA, granted they are established programs but still what would it hurt to reach out to them or some of the Carolina schools to get some insight.
Maybe the solution is to stay on the road the month of February and first of March?

VN Store

Back