Opinion on Baseball Camps?

brad37128

From a recruiting stand point, are the camps beneficial for high school kids or are these just money makers for the program?

From a recruiting stand point, are the camps beneficial for high school kids or are these just money makers for the program?

The best way to get exposure is through summer, fall, and winter baseball tournaments.

Also, be realistic about your child's abilities and potential.

Good luck, bud.

Having coached on the JUCO level I can tell you unless your child is invited to a camp all expenses paid its a waste of time. Nothing more than a money maker for the school, I used to make 400 a weekend for giving out evaluations for campers at local D1 schools. AAU ball is good along with American Legion both are good for exposure.

Reactions: 1 person
Having coached on the JUCO level I can tell you unless your child is invited to a camp all expenses paid its a waste of time. Nothing more than a money maker for the school, I used to make 400 a weekend for giving out evaluations for campers at local D1 schools. AAU ball is good along with American Legion both are good for exposure.

Agree if the attendee doesn't have at least a smidge of talent it's a waste of $$$.

Agree if the attendee doesn't have at least a smidge of talent it's a waste of $$$.

Even the Blue Grey classics are a huge waste of money, this is put on by a independent recruiting video service. It makes the kids feel special because they think they are part of something big, but its really nothing more than a money maker for the company that puts it on.

Colleges invite you to their camps because they are not allowed to call you until after your Junior year in HS. Of course you have to pay $$ to attend the camp. Very rarely do you see an SEC school at tournaments unless its Perfect Game. So each person has to decide how much they want to spend chasing the dream imo. In regards to UT, they have several showcase camps in the fall. If you want to be seen by them you have to go to the camp or take a chance they show up at a Perfect Game, which cost even more $$$.

Colleges invite you to their camps because they are not allowed to call you until after your Junior year in HS. Of course you have to pay $$ to attend the camp. Very rarely do you see an SEC school at tournaments unless its Perfect Game. So each person has to decide how much they want to spend chasing the dream imo. In regards to UT, they have several showcase camps in the fall. If you want to be seen by them you have to go to the camp or take a chance they show up at a Perfect Game, which cost even more $$$.

I would encourage you to do a dvd of highlights and a pro style workout in the video get as many copies as you can and send them out with letters of interest to each school. Send them to the recruiting coordinator, not the head coach because it will end up in the trash. My next question is do you have a pro scout in your area? Maybe one of them runs a baseball academy? Get with him to get an evaluation done with a letter of recommendation before proceeding with any camps, video's etc. I'm not saying your son doesn't have what it takes to play D1 baseball I haven't seen him but a lot of parents don't understand the talent gap between D1 and D2 and what they look for. There are guys at the D3 level that throw low 90's and outfielders who run 6.4 60 times with cannons.

Anytime a player fills out a recruiting form online they get invited to camps. Baseball isn't a high revenue sport so camps are how they pay their assistants. Now if a coach directly talked to your son inviting him that would be a different story but he will not have to pay the camp fee if they are truly interested

Last edited:

VN Store

Back