Fall Buzz: Senzel’s Stock Soaring, D1 Baseball.com

OldTimer

919 miles
Staff member
From D1 Baseball.com, just a plug here for them as I copied and pasted some info, the subscription is well worth the money.........

Nick-Senzel-640x457.jpg

Coming off a monster summer in the Cape Cod League, it was more than clear that Tennessee’s Nick Senzel had catapulted himself into some elite company in the 2016 draft class. But, to his credit, he has done anything but rest on his laurels this fall. In fact, word from scouts and coaches around Vols’ fall practice is that what we saw this summer could have just been the beginning of Senzel’s progression into stardom.

“He’s taken such a huge step from where he was last year,” said one scout in the area in regards to Senzel. “He’s improved in every way, and he’s carrying over what he did on the Cape. I think he has a huge spring.”

If you talk to the Tennessee coaching staff, you can hear that same type of enthusiasm. The coaches have been thrilled with his progression not just offensively, but on the defensive side of things as well. Scouts and coaches have also taken note of how much better Senzel is using the whole field, something he started to do in the Cape Cod League, but appears to be perfecting this fall.

There were notably some scouts who appeared to not fully buy into what Senzel did this summer on Cape Cod. But his fall performance thus far appears to quickly be erasing any doubts. If he can maintain this type of buzz, he has all the indicators from scouts of being a first round draft pick in June.

Notes From Rocky Top

Kyle Serrano (Tennessee) continues to look like he is ready to ascend to the role of true Friday night ace for the Vols, coming off what was a highly impressive campaign on the Cape. Serrano worked at 93-95 mph in his first fall scrimmage and continued to show improved command of his breaking ball. Tennessee will rely heavily on his ascension, as well as consistent work from senior righty Hunter Martin, who also looked sharp in his first fall appearance.

Reactions: 2 people
Lets just hope he doesn't get the draft hype blues. Really need him & all the returning guys to step up their games to have a good season this year. I'm a believer!!

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks OldTimer. Sounds good for Nick and Kyle, but I'm trying to not get too hyped up (see football :)). Would be nice to see a great BaseVol season, though...I'm sure it'll be interesting....:rock:

GBO!

Thanks OldTimer. Sounds good for Nick and Kyle, but I'm trying to not get too hyped up (see football :)). Would be nice to see a great BaseVol season, though...I'm sure it'll be interesting....:rock:

GBO!

Serrano is a great in-game manager. Who else would think to start their relievers to try to pull out wins against LSU. Serrano has stones!

Senzel is really positioned to have one of those out-of-nowhere Andrew Benintendi type seasons. The Vols have done this sort of thing before with Pickler and Burke.

And best thing, he's sort of a proverbial "glue guy" that the team would rally around.

I still have lingering concerns about Kyle and would love to see him get "tougher" and have a "meaner" presence on the mound like he owns the space between the rubber and umpire. Bret Marks developed that before last season and was intimidating as hell.

VN Store

Back