Regional Play bergins

fryeguy93

Rufus X. Sarsaparilli
ESPN has a bases loaded channel on ESPN3

Makes me miss NCAA play badly.

Uniforms
I think it's time to quit blaming the shoe companies.

Michigan (Adidas) terrible. I hate pullovers especially with white cleats. It's not 1979

Oregon, (Very Nike) even worse

East Carolina- a little better but not much. more pullovers.

South Florida and FAU have nice stuff and colors. However, FAU has some sort of vented baseball pants that look odd.

Columbia (Nike) are the best I've seen so far. Columbia Blue of course.

Notre Dame should be shot for the shiny gold painted batting helmets. Not sure why they would even be legal. The rest of the uniform is great. Simple white w/ white caps. (Under Armor) Like Detroit Tigers home whites

Pitching, there are several #2 seed teams trying to save their top guys for a 2d game against the home team and some are getting beat because of it (Looking at you Arkansas)

Radford, I think Radford's going to do pretty well in Nashville. They cam from a tough conference and are on a huge hot streak. They've never been to tourney before so who knows how they'll react to pressure.

Something else that's been gnawing on my lately, but why do we still expect fat old guys to wear uniforms like the rest of the team? Especially in college?

Last edited:
Uniforms: My wife says my fashion choices permanently disqualify me from commenting on anyone else's attire.

Pitching: Arkansas appears to have dodged that bullet.

Agree on Radford.

I guess it's because coaches actually move around a bit for pre-game activities and because they are on the field when the ball is live. But they should let them wear loose warm ups or something.

Uniforms: My wife says my fashion choices permanently disqualify me from commenting on anyone else's attire.

Pitching: Arkansas appears to have dodged that bullet.

Agree on Radford.

I guess it's because coaches actually move around a bit for pre-game activities and because they are on the field when the ball is live. But they should let them wear loose warm ups or something.

I compliment RU and the first thing the do is run themselves into a boneheaded triple play in first inning.

Softball coaches wear polos or windshirts. It's only tradition from majors. Sure, you don't have to use a wood bat, but your coaches have to look ridiculous in stretchy fabrics. :crazy:

An ECU coach needs some of supporting undergarments.

Something else that's been gnawing on my lately, but why do we still expect fat old guys to wear uniforms like the rest of the team? Especially in college?

Also, I've never figured out why baseball managers get to run on the field and go after umpires when they disagree with a call. That is not allowed in any other sport and I don't know why it is allowed in baseball.

Those exchanges look even sillier when it's an old fat coach wearing a polyester uniform (see Tommy Lasorda and/or Earl Weaver).

Arkansas and Oral Roberts tied at 3 in the 9th.

How are you supposed to beat Oral Roberts? The dude claims to be able to perform miracles!!

Also, I've never figured out why baseball managers get to run on the field and go after umpires when they disagree with a call. That is not allowed in any other sport and I don't know why it is allowed in baseball.

Thought the same thing!

There's a lot of traditions from John McGraw days that make ZERO sense.

The umpire thing makes more sense when you realize no other sports officials think as highly of themselves as baseball umps.

BTE, Connie Mack wore a freaking suit in the dugout when he owned/managed the Philadelphia A's for like 50 years.

INSANE BASEBALL TRADITIONS
(1) Fat/old managers/coaches in uniform
(2) Arguing over calls
(3) Intentional bean balls
(4) The phantom step on 2nd during double play
(5) Take out slides at second well away from bag
(6) Pitchers not batting
(7) Warm up pitches from bullpen-They just spent 10 mins throwing already
(8) Umpires always giving batter a timeout
(9) Infield fly rules. (It's the batter's fault he hit a fly, why punish the defense)]
(10) overly complicated balk rules-slows down the game.

Why is this fat guy in the yellow ECU T-shirt allowed to stand their behind home plate?!?!? Clear the concourse Miami!

I hate typos

This is likely the greatest day in B1G baseball. Going undefeated so far. Of course, they've not played a power team yet.

Iowa looked impressive.
Indiana was handed the game by an obviously uptight Radford team
Michigan (besides ugly unis) looked ok

Still don't think any of them will make CWS-including Illinois. The NCAA bends over backwards to get a cold weather team into Omaha and Illinois has the easiest region and they are paired with a Vandy team that for some reason always struggles with B1G teams and upper Midwest teams in general

Last edited:
BTW, I aTm has the same odd Adidas pants I saw earlier.

I guess they're not really vented but look like they have extra material for sliding perhaps?

Beats the obnoxios "L" on the Louisville players' asses

Kind of hurts to say this but the shift northward in college baseball is real.

The Big10 is on the serious rise and it's not just 1 or 2 programs.

The Big10 is not on the rise. I think they were actually better in 90s.

Right now, they are the recipient of the largest assistance of athletic affirmative action in the history of the NCAA.

This started when several Notre Dame teams got far more publicity than they ever deserved. The schools get every chance to host a region and superregion and still fail when they do.

Reactions: 1 person
The Big10 is not on the rise.

Come on frye you are losing credibility

Indiana is clearly a program that has arrived on the national stage and with their staff is clearly going to stay there.

Illinois is a national seed and a real threat for Omaha.

Iowa has been a top 25 team all year and beat Oregon today

Michigan won handily today.

Maryland is handling ole miss right now

Hell michigan state got royally screwed by the committee. Higher rpi than both Clemson and Oregon and went 4-0 vs those teams with all those games on the road.

Foolish to suggest that league isn't gaining steam!

Please tell me when they got 5 bids(and deserved 6) in one of those years in the 90s you are thinking about

Last edited:
Indiana beat Radford
Michigan beat Bradley
Iowa beat Oregon
Illinois is playing Ohio
Maryland is beating Ole Miss.

I agree completely with Frye. They make the tournament and they get to play the scrub schools of the North.

Play College of Charleston, Coastal Carolina or other no name schools of the South and see the difference.

The only win tonight that would impress me is Maryland beating Ole Miss and Maryland has been a member of the Big 10 for all of 5 minutes.

They put Illinois, Ohio, Wright State, and Notre Dame in the same region.

SMH

Last edited:
Indiana beat Radford
Michigan beat Bradley
Iowa beat Oregon
Illinois is playing Ohio
Maryland is beating Ole Miss.

I agree completely with Frye. They make the tournament and they get to play the scrub schools of the North.

Play College of Charleston, Coastal Carolina or other no name schools of the South and see the difference.

The only win tonight that would impress me is Maryland beating Ole Miss and Maryland has been a member of the Big 10 for all of 5 minutes.

5 years ago they were a laughing stock. I am not suggesting they are anywhere close to SEC but they are a conference that is going to be a 4-6 bid league consistently with occasional trips to the CWS. And that is real progress from the laughing stock of 5 years ago

5 years ago they were a laughing stock. I am not suggesting they are anywhere close to SEC but they are a conference that is going to be a 4-6 bid league consistently with occasional trips to the CWS. And that is real progress from the laughing stock of 5 years ago

And I'm with frye. They are getting those bids because the NCAA is trying to throw a bone to the Midwest.

I know I am totally biased in this.

However, I know, as a Florida fan, what we have to do to get a bid, to host, and to get to Omaha. And it's not the same for other schools, particularly in the North.

It's an NCAA rule that Florida has to go through Florida State or Miami to get to Omaha. Happens every damn time. Sometimes, they even send Miami to Gainesville for the actual regional, forget the Super Regional. And they don't send Bradley to Gainesville for a regional either.

Case in point.....

Illinois went 21-1 in the Big 10. (46-8-1 overall)

One of the losses was to South Florida. The tie came against Florida Gulf Coast. The games against the opponents were played on the weekend. So, this wasn't mid-week game action.

And I'm with frye. They are getting those bids because the NCAA is trying to throw a bone to the Midwest.

I know I am totally biased in this.

However, I know, as a Florida fan, what we have to do to get a bid, to host, and to get to Omaha. And it's not the same for other schools, particularly in the North.

It's an NCAA rule that Florida has to go through Florida State or Miami to get to Omaha. Happens every damn time. Sometimes, they even send Miami to Gainesville for the actual regional, forget the Super Regional. And they don't send Bradley to Gainesville for a regional either.

Oh I agree that the way the regions are set aren't fair at all. Hell the committee gave a National seed to a team that can't even host a super regional. That's just shameful

But you are missing my point.

The big10 had 6 schools that deserved a bid this year. Rpi and out of conference wins proved that. That is a huge improvement over the Big10 of just 5 years ago.

Now where the committee sends them is another story and I understand your thoughts

Case in point.....

Illinois went 21-1 in the Big 10. (46-8-1 overall)

One of the losses was to South Florida. The tie came against Florida Gulf Coast. The games against the opponents were played on the weekend. So, this wasn't mid-week game action.

They also won 2 of 3 at Oklahoma state. Their resume is plenty worthy

VN Store

Back