MSU Scout

vol66

GBO!!!
Staff member
  • Mississippi State has won nine of the last 10 games versus Tennessee, including four straight in Knoxville.
  • Last year against the Vols, the combination of catcher Gavin Collins and infielder Seth Heck went 7-for-17 (.412) with five walks and three RBIs.
  • Senior first baseman Wes Rea leads the SEC with 40 walks and is second in the league with a .482 on-base percentage.
  • In nine SEC series openers, Rea is 12-for-29 (.414) with 11 RBIs, seven walks and two home runs.
  • Sophomore infielder Luke Reynolds is 17-for-30 (.567) since April 26 after beginning the season hitting .154 (8-for-52).
  • The Bulldogs’ pitching staff is first in the NCAA with 590 groundouts. As a result, MSU is second in the nation with 58 double plays and first in the NCAA since 2012 with 259 twin killings.
  • The Bulldogs are 11th in the NCAA with a .978 fielding percentage, marking the second straight year MSU has been one of the top-15 fielding teams nationally (5th in 2014, school record .981).
  • State is 22-4 when leading after six innings, but 2-23 when trailing or tied after six stanzas.
  • The Bulldogs are 17-2 when holding opponents to two runs or less, but 7-25 when opponents score three runs or more.

Welp, it all comes down to this. How many can we win and how many can Georgia and maybe Alabama, lose.

MSU's first 26 games were in Starkville. They are 3-11 on the road. They have won only 2 of their last 13 games including being swept by Ole Miss last week.

If we had, and maybe we will, Bret Marks I'd feel a lot better about our chances of sweeping MSU. As it stands, we'll have to pull out all the stops in game one because we start an hour before UGA and two hours before BAMA. The only way we don't is if we get blown out early and concede to protect the bull pen so that we have a chance to win the last two.

When I think about MSU I think about a big home run hitting kind of team and Wes Rea has 5 as does Reid Humphreys ...but as a team they only have 21, we have 31.

Rea leads the team with 35 RBI and in some ways, the team goes as he does. Jacob Robson leads the team in BA and he leads the team by far and away with 21 steals and 41 runs scored.

They are very good defensively with a .978 Fld%. They turn a lot of double plays.

The pitching, like us in many ways, hasn't been consistent. Statistically, nothing stands out as being particularly bad. They don't walk a lot of guys, not a lot of free passes via HBP, not a ridiculous number of wild pitches. The team ERA is 4.45. Trevor Fitts is a guy to watch, he leads the team in saves and his 2.03 ERA (2.45 in SEC Only) is also best on the team.

Honestly, it's been a little hard to get up for baseball this week, hard to make myself write up the scout. We shouldn't be here, not in this spot. Even with the weather and the injuries, well, it's disappointing and I'll leave it at that.

GBO!!!

Reactions: 1 person
Welp, it all comes down to this. How many can we win and how many can Georgia and maybe Alabama, lose.

MSU's first 26 games were in Starkville. They are 3-11 on the road. They have won only 2 of their last 13 games including being swept by Ole Miss last week.

If we had, and maybe we will, Bret Marks I'd feel a lot better about our chances of sweeping MSU. As it stands, we'll have to pull out all the stops in game one because we start an hour before UGA and two hours before BAMA. The only way we don't is if we get blown out early and concede to protect the bull pen so that we have a chance to win the last two.

When I think about MSU I think about a big home run hitting kind of team and Wes Rea has 5 as does Reid Humphreys ...but as a team they only have 21, we have 31.

Rea leads the team with 35 RBI and in some ways, the team goes as he does. Jacob Robson leads the team in BA and he leads the team by far and away with 21 steals and 41 runs scored.

They are very good defensively with a .978 Fld%. They turn a lot of double plays.

The pitching, like us in many ways, hasn't been consistent. Statistically, nothing stands out as being particularly bad. They don't walk a lot of guys, not a lot of free passes via HBP, not a ridiculous number of wild pitches. The team ERA is 4.45. Trevor Fitts is a guy to watch, he leads the team in saves and his 2.03 ERA (2.45 in SEC Only) is also best on the team.

Honestly, it's been a little hard to get up for baseball this week, hard to make myself write up the scout. We shouldn't be here, not in this spot. Even with the weather and the injuries, well, it's disappointing and I'll leave it at that.

GBO!!!

Thanks vol66. Yep, it's been a tough season...we're in the home-stretch now, so, hopefully we can end on a swept series...:clapping:

GBO!

VN Store

Back