Texas A&M Scout

vol66

GBO!!!
Staff member
TAMU is a consensus top 5 team in the country. Their pitching is the best in the SEC, so it's fair to say, the Aggies staff is the best in the country. Many might argue that point which is also fair, but statistically they are the best. Their team batting average is .314, second only to LSU in the league. Their RPI is 4.

They are 25-0 in non conference games.

In the SEC they are 13-7, trailing LSU by 1 game in the western division.

However, of those 7 losses, 4 have come the past two weekends. They lost the series with Arkansas at home and dropped 2 down in Baton Rouge last weekend.

It all starts with the pitching and that means RHP Grayson Long on Fridays. He has an 8-0 record through 11 starts and 62.1 IP. His 70 strike outs is good for 5th in the SEC and he's given up 27 walks. Andy Cox will get the start for UT, he's 1-3 with an ERA of 3.32, 44 K's, 20 BB's through 43.1 IP.

Here's the problem for us. They average 7+ runs per game while only allowing a little over 3 and if Cox gets in trouble early our bull pen can't match up with theirs that early in the series. It really is that simple.

In fact, as impressive as some of the starting pitching looks, their relievers/closers have put up some ridiculous numbers.

For instance, Andrew Vinson. through 35.1 IP he's struck out 35 and walked only...4. He has a 0.76 ERA.

Or...A.J. Minter, his ERA is 0.43...Kyle Simonds, 1.06 ERA, Mark Ecker, 1.59...and on it goes, I think folks get the gist.

Things don't get any better for us at the plate. They have six guys all batting well over .300, led of course by Nick Banks' BA of .381. Logan Taylor (.372) leads the team with 10 home runs. Catcher Mitchell Nau is batting .364 and leads the team in OB% (.459).

Put another way, we have 3 guys with over 40 hits led by Senzel's 52...they have...

Banks, 64
Logan, 55
Nau, 59
Blake Allemand, 57
Hunter Melton, 42
Ryne Birk, 45

and where this really shows up, where the real disparity rears its ugly head is...we have 160 RBI on the season and they have 303 RBI.

Their only real weakness is fielding, they're down at the bottom of the league with us and they actually have more errors than we do. Looking at the unearned runs they have given up is about the only glimmer of hope I see from a statistical point of view.

The Aggies have only played 9 true away games, they are 6-3 in those. I think we are going to need longer outings from our starters than we've been getting as of late. I can only hope that the momentum we made at the plate carries over from last weekend and that the crowd gives us a true home field advantage.

In the end, we need to keep pace with UGA and they have UF this weekend and that's a plus.

GBO!!!

Reactions: 1 person
Nice work 66. A&M will be tough test this weekend. Let's hope for the best! If we could sneak by tomorrow's game with a win it would be huge for us. GBO!

Maybe Johnny Football will come back and throw this weekend. I believe he has 1 year of eligibility left.....

960x540.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
This is likely the best opponent we will face all season. Especially consistency wise.

The are loaded in all aspects of the game.

Our starting pitching has to be up to the challenge but they have to have more help than what we've been giving them.

VN Store

Back