Serrano is not getting the wins....

1standgoal

Serrano is not getting the wins again this year. Is it because of pitching, hitting, or something else?

Serrano is not getting the wins again this year. Is it because of pitching, hitting, or something else?

In SEC games (before tonight), they are 12th in the SEC in batting average, 13th in runs scored, last in ERA, last in runs allowed and last in fielding percentage.

Reactions: 2 people
In SEC games (before tonight), they are 12th in the SEC in batting average, 13th in runs scored, last in ERA, last in runs allowed and last in fielding percentage.

Well that explains it. They are actually worse than I thought they were. Thanks for the stats.

Reactions: 5 people

ERA is a little misleading. Our starting pitching has done well with the exception of a few innings.

Will definitely agree with hitting and defense, miserable!

I watch just about every game, I can't put my finger on it. Cox is rolling along, he gives up a walk, a single and then we get a throwing error from AJ trying to turn two and the flood gates open in a one run game. We turned three double plays tonight, I don't think we've done that all season, but WHEN we needed it the most we couldn't execute it, THAT's been the story all year. Timely hitting, fielding, pitching has been the problem.

I don't want to be the bad guy here, but when you objectively look at the numbers.....

1. the numbers are really, really bad.

2. the numbers are really, really consistent.

That's not bad luck. That's not a fluke. It's just a bad baseball team.

In 9 of the 11 league losses, Tennessee has lost by 5 runs or more.

The team has won two series all season long, Grand Canyon and Ole Miss.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't want to be the bad guy here, but when you objectively look at the numbers.....

1. the numbers are really, really bad.

2. the numbers are really, really consistent.

That's not bad luck. That's not a fluke. It's just a bad baseball team.

In 9 of the 11 league losses, Tennessee has lost by 5 runs or more.

The team has won two series all season long, Grand Canyon and Ole Miss.

Nobody has looked at the numbers more than I, and they are bad. In baseball stats matter, but so does context.

I'll still be going to Hoover in 5 weeks & wearing my ORANGE, but I seriously doubt the Vol baseball team will be there. Very disappointing.

I think this is the first time I've ever come into the baseball forum but I sorta had to. I turned on SEC Now and they were showing highlights from the TN/KY game. The stuff those players were doing were just sheer stupidity. It looked like some kind of little league game where the kids are just learning how to play baseball. It literally looks like nobody is coaching those guys. TN men's baseball could make a whole episode of "Come On Man".

What's funny is that CDS was the biggest No brainier of any coaching change we had made in a long time... Everyone thought it was an absolute home run.

I still want to give him some time, but this is starting to get ridiculous.. It's some of the sloppiest play I've seen in a while.. He's a better coach than this.

Reactions: 4 people
Does the team have a bright outlook for next year? I thought he had some decent recruiting classes per previous class rankings?

This OP is easy to answer. Jimmies and Joe's for which the coach is responsible. Sorry but he has had time to at least upgrade talent and hasn't done it. With the butt kickings every week, if I were a baseball follower I would be exposing the obvious.

What's funny is that CDS was the biggest No brainier of any coaching change we had made in a long time... Everyone thought it was an absolute home run.

I still want to give him some time, but this is starting to get ridiculous.. It's some of the sloppiest play I've seen in a while.. He's a better coach than this.

I agree. I was excited the was hired. CWS participant with two different programs, one he built from the ground up - what was there not to like? What is happening this season is beyond explanation. I hope they can get their acts together and finish well. But his job is clearly on the line for this year or next. They've stepped back into the formerly empty tomb from Easter. lol.

If you watch the games just visually our players don't look like SEC caliber athletes. We have maybe 5. We would probably do well in another conference and might even make the NCAA's but not in the SEC. I don't think this is something Serrano can fix quickly.

It's laziness and not trying. Raleigh 2.0

Is it a lack of effort? If so, why? Not connecting with the staff? Is the team so emotionally and mentally weak that a bad break or two causes them to crumble? Just makes little sense to me right now. How could Serrano have such a resume only to come home and lose the ability to coach and evaluate talent? How does he hand pick guys for his roster only to not be able to connect with them? How does he choose kids who have personality issues that make them weak competitors? I'm not saying any of the above is actually the case. I simply don't know. Just throwing thoughts out, but nothing seems to fit. Something is off. Something is missing. Just boggles my mind. I've said it before that I really believed this was the year UT made noise in baseball. Never dreamed that noise would be the mid season crash of the diamond vols. Incredible. I'd have bet money something like this wasn't possible unless we had a horrible rash of injuries to several key players.

I like Serrano--but that is the trifecta of bad baseball. So we are almost the worst scoring team in the league, our pitching is bad (last) and we are last in fielding. That about covers all the essentials of baseball! Maybe our concession sales are mid-pack SEC!

If a coach who has won everywhere he has been comes to a down in the dumps baseball program at a football school and can't win, do you logically conclude it's the coach's fault?

If I'm a prospective coach I'm watching this carefully and wondering if something else is the matter with UT baseball.

In short, I'm not sure we will be able to attract a high caliber coach after Serrano. I've been disappointed but I'm willing to give him more time.

VN Store

Back