Baseball short list

Volsfaninva917

I know not everyone will agree that we should be having this conversation yet but it’s a message board full of opinions and in my opinion Dave Serrano has had plenty of time. So with that being said lets talk replacement candidates. Disclaimer this is not an actual list just for discussion only.

Chris Burke- His name came up last go around and he’s the hometown favorite so I’ll put him at the top.
Chris Burke (baseball) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gary Gilmore- Costal Carolina, I think his accomplishments there speak for themselves but I’m not so sure that he would leave because it is his alma mater. 25 Seasons as a Head Coach: 1,006-501-2

Jim Toman- Liberty University, he’s a Ray Tanner disciple and has done wonders at Liberty. Now some would say he’s got it made at Liberty and he does but I think he’s ready for a bigger challenge and a return to the SEC. The Flames have notched a 187-108-1 overall record during his five seasons on Liberty Mountain and have also posted an 82-43 Big South mark over the span. His .664 conference winning percentage is also the best of any head coach in program history.

Dave Heefner- Dallas Baptist, Dan Heefner enters his eleventh season with the Dallas Baptist Baseball Team and eighth year as the Patriots’ Head Coach. Recognized by Baseball America in 2013 as one of the Top 10 Coaches in College Baseball under the age of 40, Heefner begins the 2015 season as the 35th winningest active coach in NCAA Division I College Baseball with a career record of 256-153 (.626 win percentage).

Mark Scalf- UNCW, In 2014, Mark Scalf’s 23rd season at the lead of the program, UNCW posted its 16th consecutive season with a winning record (30-27, 10-8 CAA) and competed in the Colonial Athletic Association championship tournament for a 29th time. The Seahawks are the only program to play in all 29 CAA tournaments. Scalf also became the first coach in the CAA to surpass the 300-win mark in conference action.

If Serrano has time, we shouldn't be daydreaming about replacements. We should be daydreaming about recruits, the ones who didn't get an offer from Vandy or the other serious programs.

If Serrano has time, we shouldn't be daydreaming about replacements. We should be daydreaming about recruits, the ones who didn't get an offer from Vandy or the other serious programs.

Serrano and staff have either a serious evaluation problem or a serious development problem.

how much time? I've heard the rainouts hurt, MTSU has had bad weather and they just beat us. 2nd fiddle to candy wouldn't be so bad because of Corbin, but we aint close to being 2nd,,,,CDS better get it together, Hart did not hire him, so I could see a change soon.

Go Vols!!!

Two more impressive recruiting classes coming in over the next two years. Each class is getting better and better since CDS first full recruiting class which are todays juniors.

Getting rid of CDS would be a mistake by the current administration. Stability is what the program needs and as long as the recruits are committing to the program, I'll be committing to CDS. I'll sacrifice "almost instant" gratification for long term success. I know it's frustrating at times but thats why I have a life outside college sports......

This non-sense of creating a viable long-term winner in 3-4 years in the SEC is nuts if not almost impossible. Looking around at todays current top programs, the head coach has typically been a mainstay at that program or inherited a program in very good shape.

Personally speaking, I'm not going to talk about one's replacement while he's currently employed, in any profession. Especially in a profession that is tough as coaching. I wish CDS and all the coaches here the best of luck and many successful years at UT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
how much time? I've heard the rainouts hurt, MTSU has had bad weather and they just beat us. 2nd fiddle to candy wouldn't be so bad because of Corbin, but we aint close to being 2nd,,,,CDS better get it together, Hart did not hire him, so I could see a change soon.

Go Vols!!!

The weather excuse was valid early in the season however I don't think too many are using it anymore. I don't mind losing a mid-week game on occasion, everyone gets beat by mid-majors in baseball from time to time. Check out everyones win/loss record and you will see where a mid-major has won occasionally. Mid-majors in baseball are very good, unlike in the other two big sports where size and speed are a huge discrepancy between the two.............

I agree Hart may want his own guy, however I don't trust Hart!

Give me Gilmore.

I still think CDS should get at least 1 more year, probably 2.

Two more impressive recruiting classes coming in over the next two years. Each class is getting better and better since CDS first full recruiting class which are todays juniors.

Getting rid of CDS would be a mistake by the current administration. Stability is what the program needs and as long as the recruits are commenting to the program, I'll be committing to CDS. I'll sacrifice "almost instant" gratification for long term success. I know it's frustrating at times but thats why I have a life outside college sports......

This non-sense of creating a viable long-term winner in 3-4 years in the SEC is nuts if not almost impossible. Looking around at todays current top programs, the head coach has typically been a mainstay at that program or inherited a program in very good shape.

Personally speaking, I'm not going to talk about one's replacement while he's currently employed, in any profession. Especially in a profession that is tough as coaching. I wish CDS and all the coaches here the best of luck and many successful years at UT.

What OT said...:yes: :salute:

GO BIG ORANGE!

Getting rid of CDS would be a mistake by the current administration. Stability is what the program needs and as long as the recruits are committing to the program, I'll be committing to CDS. I'll sacrifice "almost instant" gratification for long term success. I know it's frustrating at times but thats why I have a life outside college sports......

There is no reason that Tennessee baseball shouldn't finish in the top 10 in the conference every year with the resources it has and thats a fact. Im not placing the blame on Serrano for the whole state of the program but he hasn't really done all that much to improve it either. You guys are making the same arguments for Serrano as some did for Dooley. Its not working out guys and its as clear as day.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
The weather excuse was valid early in the season however I don't think too many are using it anymore. I don't mind losing a mid-week game on occasion, everyone gets beat by mid-majors in baseball from time to time. Check out everyones win/loss record and you will see where a mid-major has won occasionally. Mid-majors in baseball are very good, unlike in the other two big sports where size and speed are a huge discrepancy between the two.............

I agree Hart may want his own guy, however I don't trust Hart!

Mid week games are filler games to get your younger guys some playing time, I could care less about this. What I do care about is we will fail to qualify for the SEC tournament yet again and for the second time in 3 years under CDS. Lets be really honest here UT backed into the SEC play in game last year by beating Florida in a sunday game which the Gators didnt give 2 craps about.

There is no reason that Tennessee baseball shouldn't finish in the top 10 in the conference every year with the resources it has and thats a fact. Im not placing the blame on Serrano for the whole state of the program but he hasn't really done all that much to improve it either. You guys are making the same arguments for Serrano as some did for Dooley. Its not working out guys and its as clear as day.

Not going to argue with anything you've said as you make valid points from your perspective except comparing Serrano to Dooley. Serrano has a superlative resume, Dooley had very little regarding his accomplishments as a Division 1 football coach.

There is no reason that Tennessee baseball shouldn't finish in the top 10 in the conference every year with the resources it has and thats a fact.

I disagree. The difficulty of this job ranks 13/14 in the SEC IMO. Only Kentucky is a harder to place to win in the sec and most of the reasoning behind that is recruiting/location/competition for those recruits

My stance on recruiting is very well known here with Vandy and that's why from the beginning I said CDS had his work cut out for him and failing wouldn't mean he wasn't a very good coach.

Last edited:
I disagree. The difficulty of this job ranks 13/14 in the SEC IMO. Only Kentucky is a harder to place to win in the sec and most of the reasoning behind that is recruiting/location/competition for those recruits

My stance on recruiting is very well known here with Vandy and that's why from the beginning I said CDS had his work cut out for him and failing wouldn't mean he wasn't a very good coach.

Agree, trying to recruit to UT Baseball is no easy task. Yes we've had success at times but nothing consistent to sell the recruits on.

At least in football we have a pretty good story to sell.

Personally, we have a coach right now that has a story to sell. I have faith in him that he can turn it around for the long term. Like I mentioned before, it's going to take more than a few years for anyone.........

Not going to argue with anything you've said as you make valid points from your perspective except comparing Serrano to Dooley. Serrano has a superlative resume, Dooley had very little regarding his accomplishments as a Division 1 football coach.

Serrano has done awesome at established programs but never stayed long enough to prove he could sustain that success. I would compare him to Butch it that sense, the guys just haven't developed and that due to coaching. I also think Serrano and staff try to rely to heavy on local and in state talent.

CDS isn't used to this much competition in recruiting, west coast cali, Arizona etc full of ball players I mean that is the meca of year round ball. Tennessee could be a top ten conference team with the right guy at the helm. And guess what guys 80% of the time top 10 in the SEC gets you a NCAA bid.

Mid week games are filler games to get your younger guys some playing time, I could care less about this. What I do care about is we will fail to qualify for the SEC tournament yet again and for the second time in 3 years under CDS. Lets be really honest here UT backed into the SEC play in game last year by beating Florida in a sunday game which the Gators didnt give 2 craps about.

It will be the 3rd time in 4 years they've missed Hoover. And I get what you're saying about midweek games are the time to work, but if you don't win most them, you're in a world of hurt for the postseason. I counted 15 Tuesday or Wednesday games. That should easily be a 10-5 record in those games. We're 3-2 currently midweek, with 5 either canceled or postponed. That's not good. Especially when wins are so hard to find in conference.

speaking of recruits, i'd love to see a list over the past few years of high school hot shots who committed to UT, but never set foot on campus.

It's a year too early for this discussion.
However, when compiling a list, it's worth remembering that every coach hired in the SEC in the last five years has either taken a team to the CWS or been promoted from within on a team that has been there.

I agree. While I'm terribly disappointed by the way this season has gone so far, I don't see how you can run a coach until he graduates his first class at the earliest. I think we need at least another year or two. If next year is more of the same, I think his seat gets very toasty and rightfully so. Right now we just need to see if he can get the team right mentally and we can finish the season strong. At least some positive vibes that the program is turning in the right direction.

Betts, Lane Thomas, Kevin Steen off the top of my head...we've lost nothing compared to Vandy and some of the others, Vandy lost around half of their class last year if memory serves.

Betts, Lane Thomas, Kevin Steen off the top of my head...we've lost nothing compared to Vandy and some of the others, Vandy lost around half of their class last year if memory serves.

They also sign a ton every year expecting that too

VN Store

Back