Volunteers Take 10-1 Loss vs. #23 Mizzou

VN News

In the series finale of a three-game set against No. 23-ranked Missouri, the Tennessee Volunteers fell victim to four-run fifth and eighth innings while struggling to make up the deficit, taking a 10-1 loss to the Tigers on Saturday.

More...

Discuss.

I didnt see this abomanation and very happy considering how abysmal it was.

Tigers brought their claws for a game two, and then unleashed a asskicking to win this series in convincing fashion.

To quote Darth Vader "all to easy" as the tigers demolish the Vols.

Reactions: 1 person
Knowing what we know now should we of have stayed with Coach Delmonico.

Bill Wright 408-308-2 .570 1963-81 (19 years)
John Whited 145-109 .571 1982-87 (6 years)
Ronnie Osborne 7-18 .280 1987 (1 year)
Mark Connor 44-65 .404 1988-89 (2 years)
Rod Delmonico 699-396 .638 1990-2007 (18 years)
Todd Raleigh 108-113 .489 2008–2011 (4 years)
Dave Serrano 46-61 .430 2012–present (2 years)

been saying this for years, CRD was a damned good coach and he got run off, BB in the dumper since, maybe a good recruiting class will help,,,,who knows, Go Vols!

Reactions: 2 people
I think Serrano is cleaning up a mess, but CRD should never have been let go of CRD in the first place. He must have really S*** in somebody's Wheaties. Hamilton let him go and see what happens to a program when you make a Dooley type hire. Same applies to basketball as well.

Serrano is still cleaning up Raleighs mess!!

As I've said elsewhere, that excuse was valid in 2012 and 2013, but it is no longer operational. I mean, shouldn't the team at least be a little better after three and a half years?

These players are all (except one) his recruits who have played his system their entire time on campus.

How long will it take for the team's performance to no longer be Raleigh's fault? I've said from the beginning that 2015 is the year we'll see what we can expect from Serrano.

And next year is a re-building year. Marks will graduate. Stewart's going to get paid, and I expect two or three other juniors will make the jump even if they aren't drafted in signing rounds.

As I've said elsewhere, that excuse was valid in 2012 and 2013, but it is no longer operational. I mean, shouldn't the team at least be a little better after three and a half years?

These players are all (except one) his recruits who have played his system their entire time on campus.

How long will it take for the team's performance to no longer be Raleigh's fault? I've said from the beginning that 2015 is the year we'll see what we can expect from Serrano.

And next year is a re-building year. Marks will graduate. Stewart's going to get paid, and I expect two or three other juniors will make the jump even if they aren't drafted in signing rounds.

D1baseball

Had Stewart, Simcox, Owenby, and Lee in their top 150 college draft picks prediction this week. All will be gone IMO

If you only know what Raliegh left you would understand. The quality of players there as a whole was bad outside of Maddux and Godley. They have literally had to flip the roster and even doing that couldn't fully get the kids they wanted because of how far the recruiting cycle is ahead ( for example the 2017 class is already mostly finished). So he is just now getting to bring in the players that he wants year in and year out.

Doesn't help when Vandy wins last years CWS. Right now, Vandy is getting all the talent in the state.

The "Raleigh left a mess" apologists are soon to be down to one out left in the bottom of the ninth inning of a game they are losing, badly. CDS is being paid very good money, has been granted an appropriate amount of patience in year one, year two, year three but, goodness, this is year four.

This program is swiftly eroding back into a state of apathy similar to that of the pre-Delmonico era. Check our attendance figures. Few really care. I do. You who are reading this do. Past that, meh.

I expected more in year four. Pre-season prognosticators did, as well. CDS did, else he likely would have chosen to avoid peppering social media with "#Omaha". I thought that was incredibly premature and ambitious. Obviously, it was.

Reactions: 3 people
Serrano is not impressing so far but it is the toughest conference in the land so we need to be patient- two more years.

What the "Let's give him a decade or two to clear the smoke from Raleigh's dumpster fire" crowd doesn't seem to understand is how small a window coaches have to turn programs around.

The problem with the strategy of giving a coach five or six or however many years to rebuild is that he loses credibility with the recruits who are capable of being winning SEC-caliber players.

The excitement over the hire of a new coach fades quickly if the new coach doesn't produce visible improvement fairly quickly. It fades among fans, among players, and among recruits.

When CDS showed up in summer of 2011 and said, "It's baseball time in Tennessee!" at his first press conference, he had everyone eating out of his hand. He went out with a credible sales pitch based on his 2 CWS appearances and sold the idea he would build a winner quickly. Then he immediately landed a class that will produce four or more pro players--pretty impressive considering the circumstances.

Nobody much worried that the 2012 team of inherited players didn't do well because that was a reflection on Raleigh. Then CDS cleaned house and brought in two dozen of his guys. Nobody much worried that the 2013 team didn't do well because they were all freshmen, and what could you expect? Then everybody pretended 2014 was a big step forward because we finished above .500 (thanks to the weak non-conference schedule) and made it to Hoover (thanks to them expanding the field to 12 teams) and did improve in conference and have some nice non-conference wins.

So we headed into this season with a pre-season ranking and talk of Omaha, and it turns out we're not a whole lot better than we were when this turnaround started. So now we're back to "It's still Raleigh's fault"?

Sorry, that doesn't work any more.

What is CDS going to say to the 2017 and 2018 grads this summer if Stewart and the others play out their UT careers without sniffing an NCAA regional? How relevant will his last CWS appearance, which happened when these recruits were in 3rd or 4th grade, seem to them? And what will the SEC coaches he's recruiting against say about the likelihood of Tennessee getting back to credibility?

Every year that goes by without a breakthrough makes a breakthrough harder. I think CDS should get all five years of his contract, but I also think the team needs to do better the second half of the SEC slate for us to have any basis for claiming progress. (I also think the players are capable of playing better this season, and still hope to see them prove it.)

If you look at most of the rest of the SEC we still don't seem to have their caliber of athletes which is troubling- maybe 4 or 5 on the team. Not enough to compete in the SEC.

Someone said its because they have cool pinstripe Nike uniforms

No they have a great program, and they kill us in recruiting. ...CDS isn't earning his paycheck...won 1 SEC series this year...ol piss is embarressed its them

I'm so sick of hearing this Raleigh crap.. Serrano has had plenty of time( 3 and a half years worth), to get his players in here.. this is all on Serrano. will you all be blaming Dooley at the end of the 2016 season if the football team goes 5-7?..

I agree that its time to laying blame on Raleigh. But the way I see it, Serrano has been building a program basically from scratch. I'd hoped to see a giant step forward this year, but when they flash team batting averages on the screen, one of the major problems is obvious. Half the team isn't batting their weight. Tennessee leads the league in sub .200 batters. I heard that A & M has nine players batting in the .300s. Until this changes, nothing else will.

The thing that I would point to that gives me serious doubts about the direction of the program is that 8 of the 10 games Tennessee has lost in the league are by 5 runs or more.

If I remember correctly one of the encouraging things about last season was not only getting to Hoover, but there were many games that were close or even blown.

Not the case this year

If anybody thinks that CDS is still cleaning up after Raliegh because he ran it into the ground blah, blah, blah is a freaking idiot. Its does not take this long to rebuild any program. Corbin rebuilt Vandy's program in 2 years. That was a program with no lights, a chain link outfield fence, the press box on top of the 3rd base dugout. Basically an NAIA level program at most. And they were NCAA bound in 2 years. And if I remember correctly, they needed a sweep over us the last week just to make the SEC Tourney. And we were ranked in the Top 10. With Juco's and 3 classes of his own players, THIS IS HIS TEAM. CDS brought 2 CWS appearances on his resume. And was generally regarded as a great coach nationally, so that would have scrubbed any negatives from the image that might have existed. We have a nice stadium. We have had recent history. And on and on and on. No excuses at this point.

I think everyone is frustrated by the way this team is playing but everyone needs to calm down on the Serrano talk. It's taking longer than we wanted and he wanted but if you fire him you arent going to get a better coach than him. This is the toughest league, its almost like playing AA ball. Everyone is acting like he isn't trying to change things. He has made adjustments to his staff and has changed how he is recruiting. He isn't stuck in his ways and not willing to adapt.

I think everyone is frustrated by the way this team is playing but everyone needs to calm down on the Serrano talk. It's taking longer than we wanted and he wanted but if you fire him you arent going to get a better coach than him. This is the toughest league, its almost like playing AA ball. Everyone is acting like he isn't trying to change things. He has made adjustments to his staff and has changed how he is recruiting. He isn't stuck in his ways and not willing to adapt.

Amen! No way we can get a better coach then Serrano. He is a great person too.

I'm fine with Serrano another year, maybe two, but I'm getting damned tired of seeing the Vols get hammered by eight or nine runs. One win out of three isn't much comfort when the other two games remind you they're out of their league.

VN Store

Back