Tennessee falls, 8-3, to Missouri Tigers

VN News

The Tennessee Volunteers came out strong on Friday night and took an early two-run lead against No. 23-ranked Missouri, but the Tigers came back to plate six runs in the sixth and take a 7-3 decision at Lindsey Nelson Stadium.

More...

Discuss.

It is rare that I will criticize CDS for his actions/inactions during a game. However, last night was a complete brain fart in the 5th inning. Bases loaded, one out, and your SP has lost total control of his off speed as well as location on all pitches. He has no pop on his fastball and Mizzou has him measured. Time for him to come out. Nope - leaves him in. Bases clearing double and the rout is on.

This isn't MLB where there are 125 more games to play and they all mean the same thing. To get to the SEC tourney you need to finish well in the SEC standings. To get to the NCAA you have to finish well in the SEC. Every game should be played like it is the last opportunity to make the field. Not sure CDS gets that at this point. Time for the learning experiences to be over in his 4th season. Hopefully they get the rubber game today and can get on a roll.

It is rare that I will criticize CDS for his actions/inactions during a game. However, last night was a complete brain fart in the 5th inning. Bases loaded, one out, and your SP has lost total control of his off speed as well as location on all pitches. He has no pop on his fastball and Mizzou has him measured. Time for him to come out. Nope - leaves him in. Bases clearing double and the rout is on.

This isn't MLB where there are 125 more games to play and they all mean the same thing. To get to the SEC tourney you need to finish well in the SEC standings. To get to the NCAA you have to finish well in the SEC. Every game should be played like it is the last opportunity to make the field. Not sure CDS gets that at this point. Time for the learning experiences to be over in his 4th season. Hopefully they get the rubber game today and can get on a roll.

I disagree.

Marks cruised with an 11-pitch 4th inning and had given up no runs on 2 hits with 6 K's to that point. There was no reason for anyone to be stirring in the bullpen at the beginning of the inning.

Then he gave up two singles to start the fifth, but he came back to get the first out with a K.
At this point, there is still no reason for anyone to be up in the bullpen with your #1 starter on the mound and his history of going deep in games.

All six runs scored within the next ten pitches.

Not enough time to have anyone ready.

If Serrano had had someone ready and not needed him, people would be criticizing him for wearing out his bullpen before relievers are needed.

Sometimes the roof falls in quickly. That's baseball, not a bad coaching decision.

Reactions: 1 person
I disagree.

Marks cruised with an 11-pitch 4th inning and had given up no runs on 2 hits with 6 K's to that point. There was no reason for anyone to be stirring in the bullpen at the beginning of the inning.

Then he gave up two singles to start the fifth, but he came back to get the first out with a K.
At this point, there is still no reason for anyone to be up in the bullpen with your #1 starter on the mound and his history of going deep in games.

If Serrano had had someone ready and not needed him, people would be criticizing him for wearing out his bullpen before relievers are needed.

Sometimes the roof falls in quickly. That's baseball, not a bad coaching decision.

Spot on

I disagree.

The only thing wrong with that is Serrano has left a guy in too long in MANY games. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a guy, in the 4th or 5th inning tossing. He may not be coming in, but he needs to be throwing just in case he's needed. By the time Serrano gets a guy up and ready, the damage is already done.

The only thing wrong with that is Serrano has left a guy in too long in MANY games. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a guy, in the 4th or 5th inning tossing. He may not be coming in, but he needs to be throwing just in case he's needed. By the time Serrano gets a guy up and ready, the damage is already done.

Ok. Fine. I thought at various times he rode Godley, Nick Williams and others pretty hard. But this isn't one of those situations.

Who would you have had up and when would you have had him up? He only has a few semi-reliable bullpen options.

Ok. Fine. I thought at various times he rode Godley, Nick Williams and others pretty hard. But this isn't one of those situations.

Who would you have had up and when would you have had him up? He only has a few semi-reliable bullpen options.
His management of the bullpen Sunday was fine. Sometimes you have to put it on the kids.

Owenby unraveled in about 10 pitches in the 5th. There is no reason to have someone tossing when your starter has retired 8 in a row and cruising like he was.

There are things I haven't agreed with this year, but Sunday wasn't one of them.

Having a guy up at 40% (estimating here) ready in the middle innings is a helluva lot easier to get through a blow up than ice cold. That's all I was getting at. There is no problem with a couple of bullpen guys tossing a bit in the middle innings. I don't care how good a guy is throwing, especially in a tight ball game that is almost a must win. If they're tossing and needed, great. But at least they're making progress to getting ready before it's too late.

VN Store

Back