Cincinnati Scout

vol66

GBO!!!
Staff member
If Tennessee wasn't playing so poorly I wouldn't bother with this scout.

Cincinnati sits in last place in the American Athletic with a 6-15 record. They have yet to start conference play. They were swept by Miss. St. by a combined score of 41 to 14. They have given up 7 or more runs 10 times in 21 games. UK beat them 9-1 in a midweek game. They are 0-10 on the road.

In fact the numbers are so bad, it's almost hard to take value of what they mean.

When you look at the hitting, two guys, Ian Happ (.427) and Noda Ryan (.307) are responsible for 13 of the teams 16 HR's and over a third of the teams RBI's. Wallace Woody is batting .348, but after those 3 guys, every player on the roster is hitting .238 or worse.

As you can imagine the team ERA isn't pretty at 6.59. Andrew Zeller is the teams best pitcher with a 1.33 ERA and a 2-0 record. I doubt we will seem him, but it is possible I guess.

After that, the next best ERA is Doug Lowe's 3.95 and it starts dropping from there. Lowe is a freshman and he's a lefty, I think he'll get the ball, but it's just a guess.

They do have a respectable .970 fielding percentage, 25 errors on the year, spread out fairly evenly amongst the team.

Let's face it, this isn't even remotely interesting. This should be a game where Aaron Soto, Eric Freeman, Tei Vanderford, Richard Jackson, Quint Robinson, or Zach Reid would get a shot. Of those guys only Reid has pitched, and that was versus one batter.

I can't remember a time where 6 guys haven't pitched at all or that through 20 games we've really only used 10 guys.

That's not changing anytime soon and it's scary because an injury or two and we'd be in deep you know what because we have no idea what those guys can do in a game situation. Just something I've been thinking about.

We can't afford to look at some of the new guys because of the lost games due to weather and the losses we've suffered as a team thus far and the hole we are now in.

It seems ridiculous to start talking "must win", but until we get out of the hole that's exactly what every game is. This is one of the last chances to get up big on a team, close the door early and give some other guys their shot. That's of course a best case scenario and it's very difficult to have confidence we can do it, even against Cincinnati. If they bust out their best pitcher against us it could be a game, if not, we should take care of business.

Let's hope the turn around starts tomorrow, game time 7PM.

GBO!!!

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks VOL66. Well, we'll see what DS (changes) and the boys (attitude) have cooked up for us. It will be interesting to see how it works out. :yes:

GO BASEVOLS!

Thanks VOL66. Well, we'll see what DS (changes) and the boys (attitude) have cooked up for us. It will be interesting to see how it works out. :yes:

GO BASEVOLS!

It's interesting you brought up attitude. This team needs some leadership and they need some cheerleaders. They aren't communicating.

One of my most vivid memories last year, is a weird one. It was early in the season and Maggio was starting as a freshman at first base, where Scott Price had been the year before. Price was now playing in right field. It was mid inning and Price comes jogging in and he's yelling at Maggio, he gets almost to the infield, I don't know what was said, but it looked instructional in nature, not unlike when AJ goes to the mound. I know Price was kind of a different guy and he spent some time in the dog house...still.

Another vivid memory was Saberhagen being the first one out of the dugout as the team comes in from the field, if anyone had a reason to sit on the bench and pout it was Dalton.

I remember Maddox directing traffic and communicating.

We seem to be missing ALL of this and we seem to really need it. All these juniors, they need to step up and lead, pat guys on the back or put them in their place.

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks for the scout 66. Midweek, sub par opponent...so why am I extremely concerned? We really need this one if for no other reason than confidence. A loss would be absolutely devastating.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back