Baseball Drops 1-0 Contest to Grand Canyon

VN News

In the second game of their weekend series against Grand Canyon, Tennessee dropped a hard-fought, 1-0 decision against the Antelopes at Lindsey Nelson Stadium before a Saturday afternoon crowd of 1,584.

More...

Discuss.

Reactions: 1 person
The BaseVols are going to have a lot of difficulty with their hitting this season. I think the pitching will be good but they'll be let down by getting no support from the hitters.

Good grief. Ominous start to the yr. how were we ever ranked? I get that we would lose to a decent baseball program, but this is ridiculous. Where and how are runs going to be scored this year?

So far, it seems that we will keep opponents in check, but in baseball, we gotta score runs to win.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm just curious on what people will think if this team fails to make the SEC tournament again, much less the NCAA.

I'm just curious on what people will think if this team fails to make the SEC tournament again, much less the NCAA.

I think Serrano will be around for a while. Baseball isn't high on the UT list of sports priorities.

Raleigh left a mess and it was going to take time, but I'm honestly surprised it's been a 4 year rebuild given Serrano's pedigree. I'm starting to wonder if Serrano just didn't ruin a good thing at Fullerton. George Horton has built the Oregon program up from literally nothing and he and Augie Garrido laid a great foundation over the previous 30 years at Fullerton.

Last edited:
I think Serrano will be around for a while. Baseball isn't high on the UT list of sports priorities.

I disagree. Raleigh only got 4 years and had a better SEC and overall record going into year 4. Remember, this is the same university who relieved Delmonico of his duties two years removed from a CWS berth. I'll probably get blasted for this, but a lot of TN HS kids have not panned out on the field from what I can tell. For the most part, the best HS, and not coincidentally, college baseball is played in the Sun Belt region (Gulf to SW).

I disagree. Raleigh only got 4 years and had a better SEC and overall record going into year 4. Remember, this is the same university who relieved Delmonico of his duties two years removed from a CWS berth. I'll probably get blasted for this, but a lot of TN HS kids have not panned out on the field from what I can tell. For the most part, the best HS, and not coincidentally, college baseball is played in the Sun Belt region (Gulf to SW).

Yeah,Delmonico should never have been fired

He knew it was a get it or get out year for him, he's coaching for his job. Better get the ship righted quickly.

No way. Regardless, progress has been made in the program. There is no way he would be fired. As far as I know, he has recruited at a high level and has had a few get drafted and not come.

I think that both of the previous coaches lost their jobs as much for their off field acts as for their W/L records. DS is handling the off field stuff pretty well.

VN Store

Back