25 Baseball Drops Series Finale At FIU, 3-0

VN News

#25 Tennessee dropped the rubber game of its opening-season series at Florida International, losing 3-0, on Sunday. UT had four hits in the loss.

More...

Discuss.

serrano is the man for the job but it is taking him quite some time to rebuild...hopefully next year is the breakthrough year because this is yet another ugly start...how they lost by giving up a lead, then not being able to score on a sunday starter raises some big question marks

Reactions: 1 person
serrano is the man for the job but it is taking him quite some time to rebuild...hopefully next year is the breakthrough year because this is yet another ugly start...how they lost by giving up a lead, then not being able to score on a sunday starter raises some big question marks

Bwahaha you're already talking about next year....lol!! Unreal.

First series of the year. Everyone remain calm.

Totally calm.

I'm not too concerned about dropping a road series to a veteran FIU team that is picked to earn a regional bid this year, but this is an important season.

Since Serrano arrived, I have consistently said it's not fair to judge him until after the 2015 season.

This is his team now. He recruited everyone on the roster except Parker Wormsley and he turned over most of the roster spots at least once.

If he doesn't show significant on-field progress this year, it becomes much harder to convince elite recruits he's building something they want to be part of.

This series isn't a big deal; however, this season is.

Totally calm.

I'm not too concerned about dropping a road series to a veteran FIU team that is picked to earn a regional bid this year, but this is an important season.

Since Serrano arrived, I have consistently said it's not fair to judge him until after the 2015 season.

This is his team now. He recruited everyone on the roster except Parker Wormsley and he turned over most of the roster spots at least once.

If he doesn't show significant on-field progress this year, it becomes much harder to convince elite recruits he's building something they want to be part of.

This series isn't a big deal; however, this season is.

IMO, Serrano hasn't gotten the elite recruits needed to win in the SEC. In the past 10 seasons, Vandy, LSU, South Car, Miss State, UF, and UGA have either won or lost in the championship series.

IMO, Serrano hasn't gotten the elite recruits needed to win in the SEC. In the past 10 seasons, Vandy, LSU, South Car, Miss State, UF, and UGA have either won or lost in the championship series.

Until something is done to stop Vandy from having unlimited scholarship dollars this is a program with a ceiling that is going to be squecking into an occasional regional

tennessee can't/won't find their way into the top 5 of the SEC without having elite instate players and that isn't happening on any kind of consistent level as long as Vandy is simply able to play with an unfair advantage

Long list of recruits lost to Vandy as "walk ons"

Until something is done to stop Vandy from having unlimited scholarship dollars this is a program with a ceiling that is going to be squecking into an occasional regional

tennessee can't/won't find their way into the top 5 of the SEC without having elite instate players and that isn't happening on any kind of consistent level as long as Vandy is simply able to play with an unfair advantage

Long list of recruits lost to Vandy as "walk ons"
Care to elaborate Bruin? Does Vandy have more scholarship money to offer than UT?

Care to elaborate Bruin? Does Vandy have more scholarship money to offer than UT?

Need based money(financial aid)

Private schools can use it(if it's equal for all students) but public schools can't.

Many if not all of the in state kids aren't using any of their 11.7 but somehow going to school there for next to nothing.

Simply put when Vandy is involved with a recruit Tenn is going to lose that battle nearly every time and many times it's $.

Last edited:
There is much I'd like to say tonight but I'm just not going to do so. I would like to say this however, I don't disagree with anything that's been said in this thread very much and I appreciate the civility and tolerance of opposing views that's gone on thus far. Thanks!

well serrano had some big time players that were coming but opted to go the way of the draft...but like ive said, it was not losing this series, but the way we lost it that really raises questions marks...we have all seen it before, rebound and have a good record in the non conference, hang around for around half of the sec schedule...then drop 4 or 5 series in a row when the sec ramps up and onto the next year...we shall see...i was sure spoiled when i was in school and my boy chris burke and squad tore things up...hopefully we can get back to that

Yep..... First series, on the road, quality opponent.

Very valid statement and baseball is a very cyclical game that depends on momentum. One lost series on the road against a quality opponent is no reason to panic.

However,
--Offensively, way too many strikeouts. Particularly with men in scoring position and less than 2 outs.
--Defensively, too many errors and the inability to play bunt defense is particularly distressing.
--On the mound, too many walks. Especially walks to lead off an inning. Plus, KSerrano has to consistently throw strikes. This teams needs him to step up.

A lot of positives from the weekend but if the BaseVols can't correct the problems above, they are still going to be a bubble team, at best come NCAA Tourney time.

VN Store

Back