#25 Vols Fall To FIU In Opener, 4-3

VN News

The #25 Tennessee Volunteers held Florida International to just two hits through six innings in their 2015 season opener in Miami, Fla., but the Panthers fired back in a late-inning rally to take a 4-3 win at FIU Baseball Stadium.

More...

Discuss.

long season ahead...but losing games in late innings is how you miss out on ncaa tournament bids...lets get a few series in us to figure out what this team has got...we need a ncaa appearance badly

Apparently FIU is no scrub though. We should win, but its not like a bad loss..right?

The WAY this loss happened is troubling because of what has transpired on Fridays for the last 3 seasons. The starter goes out and gives a winning performance and the bull pen can't close it out.

Not only that, other than Stew and Senzel 3/4 tonight, not a lot of run production and we only drew three walks while getting K'd 16 times.

I expressed concern about hitting but it was dismissed. It's just one game, and it's a loooooooong season.

GBO!

The Chad Holbrook postgame presser was good as an aside.

The WAY this loss happened is troubling because of what has transpired on Fridays for the last 3 seasons. The starter goes out and gives a winning performance and the bull pen can't close it out.

Not only that, other than Stew and Senzel 3/4 tonight, not a lot of run production and we only drew three walks while getting K'd 16 times.

I expressed concern about hitting but it was dismissed. It's just one game, and it's a loooooooong season.

GBO!

Thanks for the reply :hi: Good points.

GBO!

It seems Serrano still has some work to do in order to turn this team around.

Just checked the scoreboard around the sec conference. It appears that FIU is a lot better than what other teams played.

You are correct, FIU is a very strong opponent.

With that said, I was expecting to win 2 out of 3 this weekend, which is still a very strong possibility.

Expanding on what Vol66 has touched on previuosly, run production may be a big issue this year, in which case it may provide for a very long season..........

I'll be tuning in at 6 tonight, GO VOLS!

I didn't get to listen to it all. How many lead off walks did Tennessee pitchers give up? Also, last I heard Tennessee had 6 errors. Can't win ballgames against anyone doing that.

Edit: Just saw it was 5 total errors, but still. That's a lot.

Last edited:
Apparently FIU is no scrub though. We should win, but its not like a bad loss..right?

Make no mistake. These Florida kids can play some ball. Heck, they do it year-round. IMHO, a loss is bad, but this isn't a bad loss. The Vols will get it going and win the series. :yes:

GO VOLS!

It's baseball and it's one game. They will be fine.

A few observations:
--Marks pitched very well
--Relievers walked the lead off man in two innings which led to runs
--Vols struck out too many times, especially with men in scoring position.
--Stewart and Senzel lived up to their expectations.
--Surprised to see Simcox batting 9th

--Surprised to see Simcox batting 9th

Simcox is an enigma to me... highly touted prospect when he came here. He makes some tremendous plays in the field although he's had 19 & 14 errors his first two seasons with 1 last night.

The thing that stands out to me is that for his career, he has 106 hits and only 6 of those are for extra bases. Maybe that's why CDS has him in the 9-hole.

Those year-round warm weather schools probably have a major advantage at the beginning of the season because their players can play year-round. They don't have to practice indoors. Also, great baseball talent in that Miami South Florida area. No need to commit suicide yet.

VN Store

Back