Fall Baseball thread

Burger

This is where we can talk about our boys all fall. I am excited to see the improvement this season. I truly wish I can go to a baseball scrimmage this fall. Maybe if the basevols play somewhere near Washington, I will go.

I hope this thread will have more conversation than the summer one.

Burger ill try to help you keep this thread going im going to try to get over and watch a scrim or two

Went to the intersquad game yesterday - 9 innings in beautiful Tennessee mountain weather.

Few pitching thoughts:
- Only fastballs and changeups
- Threw strikes for the most part
- Drake and Serrano were among the consistent strike throwers and had some pop
- Cox did not pitch but we had a fair number of lefties throw
- Freshman LHP Warren looks the part and threw hard; Another Freshman LHP Soto could be a good situational lefty on lefty option; There was a submarine LHP (could not see #) who threw that could fit that role as well
- All in all, nothing that made you say 'WOW' but definitely will continue the trend over the last few years of increasing the stable of arms for CDS to work with

Hitting:
- Good at bats from the returning regulars
- Senzel and Stewie look like they will pick up where they left off
- Houser drove one to the wall
- Jackson and AJ look real comfortable and ready to take the next step
- Freshman Langhorne looks the part and initial thought is that he will be the leading candidate for the 3B job
- Newcomer Hall plays extremely hard (Maddox clone) and is that grinder, do whatever it takes leadoff type

Defense:
- Will be solid across the board
- No real outstanding plays, no real booted balls out their either

Lots of positive energy from the players and especially the coaches. Nice to see us have experienced players be leaders who know what to expect. The feeling is that this is the year for a leap and that Hoover is only a stepping stone toward the NCAAs and dare I say #OMAHA15

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for the report real glad to see that we might have a few leftys with a little pop behind the fastball. Big diff from the left side from 83/84 throwing strikes to someone 90/91 throwing strikes

I'm happy with the no errors and a consistent pitching. I hope Houser improves a lot.

I didn't want to start a new thread, but Vincent Perry just committed to the football team.

A two-sport standout who’s also hoping to play baseball at Tennessee, Perry said the Vols “haven’t told me anything specific” about which position they envision him playing at the next level.

It appears he would like to play baseball as well. I have read he is a better baseball player than football player, but I have no clue how accurate that is.

I didn't want to start a new thread, but Vincent Perry just committed to the football team.

It appears he would like to play baseball as well. I have read he is a better baseball player than football player, but I have no clue how accurate that is.

More than happy for him to play both. We might get Cortez McDowell to play for us also.

So far today the pitchers are rotating every 15-20 pitches. No one has really struggled. In fact, so far I've only seen a few really hard hit balls.

-Lots of bunting

-Very limited number of breaking balls

-Benito Santiago got plenty of reps behind the plate. Seemed to struggle with some balls in the dirt and knee placement. He appears to be very aggressive and has an arm that reminds me of a certain SD Padres catcher in his prime.

-So far, I've noticed only one misplayed ball in the field

-Zach Reid was hit hard multiple times. His delivery is submarine (sometimes), but the hitters certainly weren't fooled - to their credit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Westphal took a line drive to somewhere in the midsectiion while pitching. He walked off on his own, but was clearly hurt.

Westphal took a line drive to somewhere in the midsectiion while pitching. He walked off on his own, but was clearly hurt.

Ouch! I'm glad he didn't get McCarthyed. Midsection is much better than head.

Reid will be nasty if he can throw a sinker and a slider. I like Serranos fastball-change up policy, that is the best combo in baseball.

Ouch! I'm glad he didn't get McCarthyed. Midsection is much better than head.

Reid will be nasty if he can throw a sinker and a slider. I like Serranos fastball-change up policy, that is the best combo in baseball.
I'm going to speculate a little here, but someone mentioned wrist. But that is not confirmed.

VN Store

Back