2014 College World Series Thread

Amazingly, I think this was the SEC's best season and that really did not show in the tournament so far.

Of course, that seems to have gone for a lot of traditional powers.

Three Big12/Texas teams in Omaha is more a fluke than anything as I don't think those three teams were top-8 in the nation.

The winner usually has the best pitching and defense with timely hitting in the dead bat era.

My favorites to win:

(1) Virginia - Soid team w/ few weaknesses other than being from ACC. Winner of UVA/OM opening game should be tourney favorite.
(2) Vanderbilt - best pitching in tourney. Ok offense. They go "braindead" in field on occasion. Are best team in their half of bracket.
(3) Ole Miss - most consistent team in SEC this season. All-around solid pitching, hitting and fielding. Winner of UVA/OM opening game should be tourney favorite.
(4) TCU - struggled more than they should have against Pepperdine. Play in tough half of bracket
(5) Texas - In Omaha because LSU choked at home
(6) Texas Tech - Played weak field to get here. Play in tough half of bracket
(7) UC Irvine- Plays Texas first. So they are ahead of Louisville.
(8) Louisville- Do play in weak half of bracket but play Vandy and Beede first. They have been coddled and protected all season with the American Conference schedule.

I think Ole Miss has a real chance but they need to win that first game against Virginia on Sunday and let the Cavs burn some pitching in the losers bracket.

Reactions: 1 person
Amazingly, I think this was the SEC's best season and that really did not show in the tournament so far.

Of course, that seems to have gone for a lot of traditional powers.

Three Big12/Texas teams in Omaha is more a fluke than anything as I don't think those three teams were top-8 in the nation.

The winner usually has the best pitching and defense with timely hitting in the dead bat era.

My favorites to win:

(1) Virginia - Soid team w/ few weaknesses other than being from ACC. Winner of UVA/OM opening game should be tourney favorite.
(2) Vanderbilt - best pitching in tourney. Ok offense. They go "braindead" in field on occasion. Are best team in their half of bracket.
(3) Ole Miss - most consistent team in SEC this season. All-around solid pitching, hitting and fielding. Winner of UVA/OM opening game should be tourney favorite.
(4) TCU - struggled more than they should have against Pepperdine. Play in tough half of bracket
(5) Texas - In Omaha because LSU choked at home
(6) Texas Tech - Played weak field to get here. Play in tough half of bracket
(7) UC Irvine- Plays Texas first. So they are ahead of Louisville.
(8) Louisville- Do play in weak half of bracket but play Vandy and Beede first. They have been coddled and protected all season with the American Conference schedule.

I think Ole Miss has a real chance but they need to win that first game against Virginia on Sunday and let the Cavs burn some pitching in the losers bracket.

If Vandy doesn't win I'll be very happy.
Texas Tech wins it I'll be damn happy as they are the Underdog in the way of never been here so really don't think they'll be predicted to do much.

Good analysis fryeguy93. That said, an early exit by vandie would be agreeable. Commode-doors fans insufferable. :whistling:

Reactions: 2 people
As much as I dislike Vandy and Ole Miss, I'm pulling for them to do well. It will only validate the SEC as the premier baseball conference and will hopefully allow future "fringe" teams like the Vols were this year to get into regional play in years to come.

I just wonder what UL's conference record would have been if they were in the SEC instead of the Sunbelt. I'm guessing they would have have finished 7th-9th in the conference.

Good analysis fryeguy93. That said, an early exit by vandie would be agreeable. Commode-doors fans insufferable. :whistling:

I think you should just keep in mind not all of them, like any other fanbase there are good fans you get along with or bad ones.
Not much different than seeing good lawyers or bad lawyers, politicians, along with others in occupations.

As much as I dislike Vandy and Ole Miss, I'm pulling for them to do well. It will only validate the SEC as the premier baseball conference and will hopefully allow future "fringe" teams like the Vols were this year to get into regional play in years to come.

I just wonder what UL's conference record would have been if they were in the SEC instead of the Sunbelt. I'm guessing they would have have finished 7th-9th in the conference.

I believe they were 5-1 in the Regular Season against the SEC with a series win over Bama.

6-3 on the year versus the West. They'd still have been a regional team. All speculation, of course, though, it's hard to win 59 games regardless of what league you're in.

I think you should just keep in mind not all of them, like any other fanbase there are good fans you get along with or bad ones.
Not much different than seeing good lawyers or bad lawyers, politicians, along with others in occupations.

Live in Nashville for 34 years, then get back to me. :whistling:

Point taken! You trumped me there, pal. :good!:

That and to be fair, Bama went 2 and done, while Vandy is in Omaha. Even if they go 0-2 or 1-2 and out, 5-10 years from now when people look back at the 2014 season, a lot more people will remember and talk about Vandy managing to battle their way to a trip to Omaha, while Bama fans will probably not want to be reminded of going 0-2 and out in Regional play.

That and to be fair, Bama went 2 and done, while Vandy is in Omaha. Even if they go 0-2 or 1-2 and out, 5-10 years from now when people look back at the 2014 season, a lot more people will remember and talk about Vandy managing to battle their way to a trip to Omaha, while Bama fans will probably not want to be reminded of going 0-2 and out in Regional play.

That assumes you're talking to an Alabama fan that even knows they have a baseball team.

Reactions: 2 people
That assumes you're talking to an Alabama fan that even knows they have a baseball team.

Ha ha ha.
Man even when Alabama makes it they still fail.
It's like they're the Kansas City chiefs and I'm talking about what they've been during the playoff drought. Or the movie that has a great trailer but then you see it and it's a fiasco, stinker, disaster, etc.

Waste the fans time like that looking great for more than three months the stink it up in regionals.

I won't be shocked if Alabama mens basketball team makes it to a match madness tournament before Alabama makes it to the college World Series.
In the next four years 2014-2018 I won't be shocked if Alabama mens basketball makes a march madness tournament before Alabama makes it to the college World Series or doesn't make it.
I would bet money on it, not 500 dollars or higher but 100 dollars.

Strike out the anteaters have stunned the longhorns 3-1.
A major win considering how anemic the anteaters looked for most of the game.

After Louisville getting close in the 7th inning by narrowing the lead from 4-0 to 4-3, Vanderbilt gains another run and claims a 5-3 win over Louisville, getting some payback for the 2013 Super Regional and moving to the winners bracket, where they will take on UC Irvine on Monday at 8 PM Eastern

Ha ha ha.
Man even when Alabama makes it they still fail.
It's like they're the Kansas City chiefs and I'm talking about what they've been during the playoff drought. Or the movie that has a great trailer but then you see it and it's a fiasco, stinker, disaster, etc.

Waste the fans time like that looking great for more than three months the stink it up in regionals.

I won't be shocked if Alabama mens basketball team makes it to a match madness tournament before Alabama makes it to the college World Series.
In the next four years 2014-2018 I won't be shocked if Alabama mens basketball makes a march madness tournament before Alabama makes it to the college World Series or doesn't make it.
I would bet money on it, not 500 dollars or higher but 100 dollars.

They've actually been to the CWS 5 times, and been the eventual runner-up in the championship series twice

Alabama Crimson Tide baseball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
After Louisville getting close in the 7th inning by narrowing the lead from 4-0 to 4-3, Vanderbilt gains another run and claims a 5-3 win over Louisville, getting some payback for the 2013 Super Regional and moving to the winners bracket, where they will take on UC Irvine on Monday at 8 PM Eastern

They've actually been to the CWS 5 times, and been the eventual runner-up in the championship series twice

Alabama Crimson Tide baseball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I stand corrected.
Still waste of a great season.

Kentucky never made it to the cws, is there some other sec team that hasnt been to the cws?

Looks like red raiders hornfrogs will be low scoring.
1-0 tcu in top 5th

I believe they were 5-1 in the Regular Season against the SEC with a series win over Bama.

6-3 on the year versus the West. They'd still have been a regional team. All speculation, of course, though, it's hard to win 59 games regardless of what league you're in.

They were combined 3-1 vs LSU and Bama. That was a legit team that was every bit deserving of their ranking and seed.

Well Ole Miss lost to Virginia, 2-1, and will place Texas Tech in the looser bracket tomorrow.

Today we find out which team goes home first when Texas plays Louisville, and we find out of Vanderbilt will continue on in the winners bracket, or whether UC Irvine can topple another giant.

Last edited:
Keep thinking I need to root for the SEC but I can't root for either one of those teams.:machgun:

Also, can't believe Bianchi let a RHP pitch to the hottest batter on the UVa team (LH) with a man on second (1st base open) and 2 out.

Last edited:
With the exception of Beede's second inning, Vandy dominated Irvine tonight. They are in the drivers seat now for a spot in the finals. If they win a National Championship, I will vomit.

With the exception of Beede's second inning, Vandy dominated Irvine tonight. They are in the drivers seat now for a spot in the finals. If they win a National Championship, I will vomit.

I will to. I enjoy making the women's bowling joke.

VN Store

Back