MLB Draft - Tennessee

trbonevol

Would anyone be able to provide some information about the upcoming draft (vol66 maybe)?

1. What current players (juniors or seniors) that may get drafted/thoughts on which round. And if Juniors are they more likely stay considering they will likely be drafted in the later rounds.

2. Any of our recruits that will be drafted and speculation on their decision to go to the minors or go to school.

Thanks,

(Also, a thank you to 66 for your updates about the summer leagues).

1) I think Nick Williams will be a 5th to 15th round pick. He was great for us last year in the SEC. Maddox will get drafted in the 10-20 round range. He should stay though.

2) I've heard about Lane Thomas, Santiago, and our other stud prospect catcher whose name I can't spell yet. I think they all should go to college.

Would anyone be able to provide some information about the upcoming draft (vol66 maybe)?

1. What current players (juniors or seniors) that may get drafted/thoughts on which round. And if Juniors are they more likely stay considering they will likely be drafted in the later rounds.

2. Any of our recruits that will be drafted and speculation on their decision to go to the minors or go to school.

Thanks,

(Also, a thank you to 66 for your updates about the summer leagues).

I really don't pay much attention to MLB. I haven't really heard much about any of our players...Lane is one I guess to worry about.

For those interested you can keep up with the draft here:

Perfect Game USA - World's Largest Baseball Scouting Service

Nola just went 7th overall to the Phillies, wonder if Basilio is happy? :)

Wes Rucker said that Lane Thomas will need 7 figures to sign. A guy on there said that all the guys in the 3rd round go below 1 Mil. I checked that and its true. So, i feel good there. Santiago is another one for me to worry about. Dude would be awesome to have next year.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for the info everyone and for the link to the list of the recruits committed.

Kendall Rogers: 15 of the first 21 picks in this year's draft were prospects hailing from the college ranks. Good night of promotion for the college game -- to say the least.

Reactions: 1 person
Kendall Rogers: 15 of the first 21 picks in this year's draft were prospects hailing from the college ranks. Good night of promotion for the college game -- to say the least.

I think this is the reason why we will keep atleast 90% of our high school signees.

Kendall Rogers: Interesting note: 7 of the top 22 picks in the draft were guys undrafted before attending college. Jeff Hoffman, for instance, was not drafted out of high school. Pretty interesting note there.

1) I think Nick Williams will be a 5th to 15th round pick. He was great for us last year in the SEC. Maddox will get drafted in the 10-20 round range. He should stay though.

Seems about right for Williams but high for Maddox.

AJ Reed goes at #42, 1st pick of round 2, to the Astros.

I don't think he's all that and a bag of tricks. He's a great player, but he's so predictable. Coach Serrano figured out how to beat him.

Maddox has a very good glove that can get him drafted in the late teens. He has three tools and one he will improve on a lot next year. I hope he stays. It'd be good for him and our team.

Vols did well against some first round draft picks. Nola (#7-PHI), Beede (#14-SF), and Fedde (#18-WAS)

Beede had TJ surgery so he won't see action for over 12-mos.

I don't think he's all that and a bag of tricks. He's a great player, but he's so predictable. Coach Serrano figured out how to beat him.

I thought the same thing during the UK series. I know there's a lot of pull hitters in MLB but he was such an extreme pull hitter, he was rather easy to pitch to and defense.

I'm sure some time in MiLB and Winter League with some instruction will teach him to hit more to all fields. Only DHs near the end of their careers should be looking pull all the time.

That's what made Todd Helton phenomenal. Power and average to all fields.

Vols did well against some first round draft picks. Nola (#7-PHI), Beede (#14-SF), and Fedde (#18-WAS)

Beede had TJ surgery so he won't see action for over 12-mos.

Lindgren and Turnbull have gone in the second so far as well...Feddie had/will have TJ as well.

I thought the same thing during the UK series. I know there's a lot of pull hitters in MLB but he was such an extreme pull hitter, he was rather easy to pitch to and defense.

I'm sure some time in MiLB and Winter League with some instruction will teach him to hit more to all fields. Only DHs near the end of their careers should be looking pull all the time.

That's what made Todd Helton phenomenal. Power and average to all fields.

Agreed with every point. He's going to have to learn how to hit it to the opposite field or MLB dudes will have a field day.

That's it for tonight, no current or future Vols taken...round 3 starts at 12:30 PM tomorrow.

That's it for tonight, no current or future Vols taken...round 3 starts at 12:30 PM tomorrow.

That reduces our chances of having someone leave significantly. I think this will change tenfold next year.

Cousino from UK, Greiner from SC, Brett Graves from Mizzou get drafted in the 3rd round...

Ravenelle from VU and Gushue from UF get drafted in the 4th round...

Last edited:

VN Store

Back