Amen!

vol66

GBO!!!
Staff member
BoIBbzLIgAArnyh.jpg

Reactions: 3 people
Sounds easy, but Title IX F's everything up.

I dunno about that...I'd be surprised if Lady Vol Softball isn't surpassing the revenue of the BaseVols.

Before they go giving players that are closer to "whole" more, why not see if it can get evened up a little.

Oh good idea. Don't just pay for students to go and learn. Pay them too. I see this ending really well.

I dunno about that...I'd be surprised if Lady Vol Softball isn't surpassing the revenue of the BaseVols.

Before they go giving players that are closer to "whole" more, why not see if it can get evened up a little.

Well judging solely on size of stadiums, a half or third of a size full baseball stadium (5,000+)is bigger than the capacity of the softball (1,600). So the past Florida 3 game series we drew about 9,000, the best the softball could do is about 4,800. The Softball is more popular and successful right now and I am sure that if they expanded their stadium they would still fill it up.

But to the point brought up I agree with the coach and OP. How bout those rowing championships in Conf USA..no offense rowers on scholly's

Last edited:
Oh good idea. Don't just pay for students to go and learn. Pay them too. I see this ending really well.

That's not what he is saying.

The vast majority of college sports teams give out partial Schollys.

There are 298 NCAA DI baseball programs with each team being allowed to offer a maximum of 11.7 scholarships per team. These scholarships can be divided up between multiple players
...baseball teams carry 35 players.

The coach is saying, before we start doling out EXTRA money to those on FULL schollys, how about taking care of the others first.

Reactions: 9 people
Well judging solely on size of stadiums, a half or third of a size full baseball stadium (5,000+)is bigger than the capacity of the softball (1,600). So the past Florida 3 game series we drew about 9,000, the best the softball could do is about 4,800. The Softball is more popular and successful right now and I am sure that if they expanded their stadium they would still fill it up.

But to the point brought up I agree with the coach and OP. How bout those rowing championships in Conf USA..no offense rowers on scholly's

It's a tad late and maybe tomorrow I'll dig in more...In short, the system is antiquated, everybody knows it. Whether we are talking the NCAA or Title IX.

I don't pretend to have the answers or a model that will work for all 300 schools in every sport, however, it could be loads better than it is.

Ron Polk, former baseball coach at Mississippi State, waged a long, bitter battle with the NCAA for years before finally quitting the job in frustration. It does need to be addressed. Baseball players seem to be a cut above.:good!:

Am I the only one that is having a hard time believing that the NCAA baseball tournament generates 9 BILLION dollars in revenue?

Am I the only one that is having a hard time believing that the NCAA baseball tournament generates 9 BILLION dollars in revenue?

Exactly.

However, the NCAA has failed to provide full cost of attendance. Being a former D-1 baseball player back in the day the best any of us could hope for was 50% of the cost tuition plus room and meal plan. Books and fees were all out of pocket. Yet all available hours you were expected to train and practice. Not the way it should be in a revenue sport IMO. So either reduce the demands on the student athlete or provide the full cost - one or the other.

Title IX stinks. One size fits all type thinking. Stand against the political pressure as one while being sympathetic to the needs and goals of the gender.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

He said 9 billion in profit. He might as well have said 90 gazillion - because he appears to have just made up a number for effect.

Actually it is about 18 million a year for the tv rights to all NCAA games - other than basketball and football. NCAA is pad 55 million over three years for the rights to Baseball, softball, volleyball, track, etc. etc. etc. And I am pretty sure the NCAA pays for the travel and lodging for the teams at the world series, etc. I am glad the Baylor coach isn't teaching math.

Maybe he is including every sport's tournament revenue? Even then, waaaaay too high. I believe the MLB as a whole took in around 9 Billion last year, so...

Reactions: 1 person
While I was at UT, football, men's basketball, women's basketball made the university money. Baseball broke even.

Every other sport lost money.

Having pitched on Friday nights in the SEC, it bothered me just a tad to be on Books for scholarship whereas the backup girls soccer goalie and 3rd team pinch runner on the softball team were on full-rides.

Title IX is the penultimate example of gender discrimination.

While I was at UT, football, men's basketball, women's basketball made the university money. Baseball broke even.

Having pitched on Friday nights in the SEC, it bothered me just a tad to be on Books for scholarship whereas the backup girls soccer goalie and 3rd team pinch runner on the softball team were on full-rides.

Thanks!! Can someone "in the know" tell us the number or % of athletes from each sport on Full or 1/2 scholarship, etc? I've heard that about Baseball before. Div. 1 is also put at a disadvantage as compared to JUCO's because of the draft possibilities. I don't know enough to give details, but I would love for one of you to fill us all in.

Women's basketball has never made money.

Women's basketball has never made money.

False. They broke even to in the black during their prime.

Their contribution was minimal at best. Football was and always will be the bell cow. Football finances the entire athletic program.

That's why we have to be good at football. Gotta sell that popcorn and dogs!

PROFITS AND MARKETING HELP KEEP ATTENDANCE HIGH AT LADY VOLS GAMES - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

Edit: To include a link from my time on the hill re: women's basketball

Last edited:
Thanks!! Can someone "in the know" tell us the number or % of athletes from each sport on Full or 1/2 scholarship, etc? I've heard that about Baseball before. Div. 1 is also put at a disadvantage as compared to JUCO's because of the draft possibilities. I don't know enough to give details, but I would love for one of you to fill us all in.

I've been out of college for over 10 years, so the numbers might have changed. We, as a team, had to share 11.7 scholarships.

APR affects that, obviously, as we experienced during the Raleigh era.

I don't know the scholarship allotment for baseball today.

If I had it to do over (and took academics out of the equation), I'd probably have gone the JUCO route out of high school. Reason being, you are given 5 opportunities to be drafted as opposed to 3 by going straight to D1.

As a HS Senior
JC Freshman
JC Sophomore
D1 Junior
D1 Senior

False. They broke even to in the black during their prime.

Their contribution was minimal at best. Football was and always will be the bell cow. Football finances the entire athletic program.

That's why we have to be good at football. Gotta sell that popcorn and dogs!

If you knew what they counted as "revenue" you'd know that, no, they've never made money.

If you knew what they counted as "revenue" you'd know that, no, they've never made money.

Please refer to my link above.

Are they cash-based accounting or accrual-based? Assuming you don't work in the UTAD Accounting office (and I could be wrong), I'll postulate you know as much as I do on the topic.

Please refer to my link above.

Are they cash-based accounting or accrual-based? Assuming you don't work in the UTAD Accounting office (and I could be wrong), I'll postulate you know as much as I do on the topic.

Anything making over 5 million in sales has to be accrual based.

VN Store

Back