Vols Fall, Postseason Hopes Still Alive

VN News

A two-out, two-run single in the top of the eighth proved to be the difference on Friday as No. 13 Florida clinched the series victory with a 4-2 win over Tennessee.

More...

Discuss.

Reactions: 1 person
I hope the guys make the post season, but if they don't, this is still a much improved team and will get better. GBO!

Reactions: 2 people
This is still a young ball club and making it to Hoover with a win tomorrow would just be icing on the cake.

All of the commentary about this being a "young ball club" are a bit misplaced. If you look at each roster throughout the conference, UT has the 9th "youngest" club with respect to the composition of their roster. This is year three of Dave Serrano's time at the helm and, although I agree we are a bit better, the end result is still disappointing. I would have lost every friendly wager with folks around the rest of the league that, by this point in time, we would be solidly back in the conference and national picture. I thought we would be. We are not. Even with a win today, a 12-18 conference slate and barely scraping in to a league tourney that accepts 12 out of 14 schools, is not where I thought we would be in 2014. I love the program as much as the next guy, just sharing my perspective.

Reactions: 3 people
All of the commentary about this being a "young ball club" are a bit misplaced. If you look at each roster throughout the conference, UT has the 9th "youngest" club with respect to the composition of their roster. This is year three of Dave Serrano's time at the helm and, although I agree we are a bit better, the end result is still disappointing. I would have lost every friendly wager with folks around the rest of the league that, by this point in time, we would be solidly back in the conference and national picture. I thought we would be. We are not. Even with a win today, a 12-18 conference slate and barely scraping in to a league tourney that accepts 12 out of 14 schools, is not where I thought we would be in 2014. I love the program as much as the next guy, just sharing my perspective.

Very true the closer but no cigar is far to common, and damn bitter.

It's dejavu of the 2013 titans that had 7 close but no cigar games resulting in damn bitter deplorable losses.

This is still a young ball club and making it to Hoover with a win tomorrow would just be icing on the cake.

How? We're in year 3, and still have yet to place higher than 2nd to last in the conference. This fanbase was wanting to fire a basketball coach after year 2 of finishing in the top 5 of the conference. I'm not saying they should be at the level of USC at this point, but damn, they should not be desperate for a win and begging another team to lose in order to get to Hoover.

Great news vols in a nailbiter beat the damn gators avoiding a sweep.
Going to Hoover first time since 2007 wow damn it's been really freakin long as in 7 years three years short of a decade.

How? We're in year 3, and still have yet to place higher than 2nd to last in the conference. This fanbase was wanting to fire a basketball coach after year 2 of finishing in the top 5 of the conference. I'm not saying they should be at the level of USC at this point, but damn, they should not be desperate for a win and begging another team to lose in order to get to Hoover.

I totally get what you're saying, but for me I draw a distinction between basketball expectations and baseball expectations, for the simple reason that in basketball the SEC is only 4-5 good teams deep but in baseball it is 10 teams deep at least. So for me that makes the difference, but it does seem like a big double standard on the surface. Basically by year 3 of any coach's tenure in both of those sports I expect NCAA tournament participation. That is the common denominator IMO.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Does anyone here know how bad in shape the baseball program was? It was worse than the football teak under Dooley. Serrano has improved every year he's here. He's building a program.

This is by far the best baseball conference in the country, outside of Missouri, and past Vol teams have been very short on pitching. I think they are coming along, and will continue to get better.

Does anyone here know how bad in shape the baseball program was? It was worse than the football teak under Dooley. Serrano has improved every year he's here. He's building a program.

Rebuilding a baseball roster, especially the pitching staff, resembles what has to happen with football more so than basketball.

VN Store

Back