Pitching Dilemma

Backwards K

Vols have to win one more game this weekend than Kentucky, Auburn, or Georgia so it becomes very important to win at least one game. The dilemma arises in:

--Weekend series runs Thursday, Friday, Saturday
--Vols are playing Florida
--SEC Tourney begins on Tuesday
http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/Po...aseball/2014SECBaseballBracket.pdf--Tuesday's game is a single elimination game
--The pitcher you use on Thursday this week will have only 4 day's rest before the Tuesday opener in the tourney.
--Same for Friday-Wed starter
--Any pitcher that throws 50+ pitches this Saturday will pretty much not be available until Thursday in tourney

How do you juggle your pitching rotation this weekend ot prepare for the tournament.

Vols have to win one more game this weekend than Kentucky, Auburn, or Georgia so it becomes very important to win at least one game. The dilemma arises in:

--Weekend series runs Thursday, Friday, Saturday
--Vols are playing Florida
--SEC Tourney begins on Tuesday
http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/Po...aseball/2014SECBaseballBracket.pdf--Tuesday's game is a single elimination game
--The pitcher you use on Thursday this week will have only 4 day's rest before the Tuesday opener in the tourney.
--Same for Friday-Wed starter
--Any pitcher that throws 50+ pitches this Saturday will pretty much not be available until Thursday in tourney

How do you juggle your pitching rotation this weekend ot prepare for the tournament.

You pretend there is no SEC Tournament. Throw everything you've got into winning these three games and let god sort our Hoover.

On Tuesday, we'll be playing a team that's assured of a NCAA bid who will likely save their normal Friday starter for Wednesday. So we'd be likely facing a midweek starter. We may use a midweek guy or "committee" approach on Tuesday as well.

Reactions: 2 people
You pretend there is no SEC Tournament. Throw everything you've got into winning these three games and let god sort our Hoover.

On Tuesday, we'll be playing a team that's assured of a NCAA bid who will likely save their normal Friday starter for Wednesday. So we'd be likely facing a midweek starter. We may use a midweek guy or "committee" approach on Tuesday as well.

Absolutely. Play like there is no tomorrow. Now, if by some miracle of the god's we win Thurs and Fri, maybe we save Cox for Tuesday. I don't think we'll have to make that decision, though.

The team we will play on Tuesday (if we make it) will likely be assured a spot in the field of 64, but they also will likely be playing for a shot at hosting. We are not going to play someone who is uninterested in winning by any means.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we check with our resident bulldog, Nick Williams and see if he is willing to go on short rest on short rest and pitch F̶r̶i̶d̶a̶y̶ [Thursday] and Tues (if we get there). Its officially put up or shut up time.

Last edited:
I would pitch Williams on Thursday and Cox on Friday and use a host of volunteers on Saturday and worry about Tuesday if the team gets there.

GBO.

I hope UT gets sellout crowds for the whole Florida series.

Play like there is no tomorrow!!!!!

^^
This is the correct answer. When you're backed into a corner such as we are, you do whatever you have to do to win. Worry about Tuesday when that day comes.

On a side note, if a kid goes less than 7 innings on Thursday, he should be g2g by Tuesday.

Finally something to get enthused about Tennessee Baseball. Serrano's going to get us there.

CDS has "played like there was no tomorrow" all season. The use/overuse of his weekend pitchers on midweek games, and repeatedly on back-to-back days on the weekend, could only have been to rack up wins and save his job by making the record look better than the team actually is. (At the cost of arm injuries no doubt.) This is a good, and improving, team but it is not as good as the top flight SEC teams. A failure to get into the NCAA tourney yet again is reason enough to start the search for a new coach. Does anyone have Pat Murphy's phone number?

CDS has "played like there was no tomorrow" all season. The use/overuse of his weekend pitchers on midweek games, and repeatedly on back-to-back days on the weekend, could only have been to rack up wins and save his job by making the record look better than the team actually is. (At the cost of arm injuries no doubt.) This is a good, and improving, team but it is not as good as the top flight SEC teams. A failure to get into the NCAA tourney yet again is reason enough to start the search for a new coach. Does anyone have Pat Murphy's phone number?

"Making the record look better than the team actually is" is a false statement. We could have easily have won at least 4-5 more SEC games. This team is much better than their record.

"start looking for a new coach", I think most of us would tend to disagree.........

I'm shocked that Kyle Serrano has struggled as much as he has and hasn't given us that third weekend starter. Like nearly half of the staff, he just has continued to struggle to find the strike zone. We really are hurting as a staff because of it.

I totally disagree with any suggestion that they need to start looking for another coach. CDS is the right man.

Serious question. Are you insane?

Reactions: 3 people

Wow. just wow

A failure to get into the NCAA tourney yet again is reason enough to start the search for a new coach.

Serrano has a five year contract, the team is getting better, he has represented the program well and increased enthusiasm for it. I think this time next year, the conversation is more likely to be about how important it is to extend him than why we should fire him.

Pat Murphy's phone number is on his website. You can go to murph42.com and ask him if he'd give up his AAA manager gig to come to a school that wouldn't give his predecessor time to do a rebuilding job. Let us know what he tells you.

I'm shocked that Kyle Serrano has struggled as much as he has and hasn't given us that third weekend starter. Like nearly half of the staff, he just has continued to struggle to find the strike zone. We really are hurting as a staff because of it.

I totally disagree with any suggestion that they need to start looking for another coach. CDS is the right man.

I pinned a lot of hopes on a true freshman. It was nto fair to Kyle. Had he done what I unexpectedly thought we would be vying for 1st round bye rather than Top 10

And I agree about CDS, there's not a single coach we could hire that would be more qualified? ZERO!

There's several guys on team that have had bad years. Serrano on mound and Simcox at the plate. The best news is they're both young and should bounce back very well. I also think that we're not hitting well from catcher position as well.

Are you high? I want some of your weed.
Serrano might be the one of only coach in SEC who took 3 teams to Omaha.

Everyone on here is always obsessed with what Kyle and Simcox are doing. Unfortunately for Kyle, he had one great year in high school and being the son of a college coach was given undeserved hype and recognition. He had the same trouble with his control in high school. He will turn it around, but he has a lot to work do.

Instead of talking about what they didn't do, what about the guys that weren't as hyped become some of the best players in the SEC. Senzel and Stewart have been amazing at the plate. Both weren't highly touted but both have been stars. Cox and Martin on the mound have been amazing as well. Cox has been the horse for us all year and Martin just won our first Friday night SEC game last weekend and has been solid all season.

These guys along with Williams, Smart, and Maddox have completely carried us. I know Simcox and Serrano will contribute in the future but let's rally around the 4 guys that have actually performed not just around lame hype that is made up!

Let's give these guys a great crowd this weekend!

Everyone on here is always obsessed with what Kyle and Simcox are doing. Unfortunately for Kyle, he had one great year in high school and being the son of a college coach was given undeserved hype and recognition. He had the same trouble with his control in high school. He will turn it around, but he has a lot to work do.

Instead of talking about what they didn't do, what about the guys that weren't as hyped become some of the best players in the SEC. Senzel and Stewart have been amazing at the plate. Both weren't highly touted but both have been stars. Cox and Martin on the mound have been amazing as well. Cox has been the horse for us all year and Martin just won our first Friday night SEC game last weekend and has been solid all season.

These guys along with Williams, Smart, and Maddox have completely carried us. I know Simcox and Serrano will contribute in the future but let's rally around the 4 guys that have actually performed not just around lame hype that is made up!

I agree with you. Houser has also been a stud behind the plate. Hardly anyone steals on us. I bumped our commitment thread and everyone is highly touted in class of 2014.

The only dilemma I imagine will be if game 1 is close, or game 2 for that matter, and we need to use Cox before Saturday in order to win one or both of those.

Winning this series would change the outlook on Hoover dramatically.

Reactions: 1 person
It was pointed out before the season that Kyle has a ton of ability and very little experience on the mound. He didn't play travel ball in the summers and he only had 2 varsity seasons of HS ball and he was injured for parts of both of those seasons. As expected, this season, he has shown flashes of brilliance and palm to forehead inducing outings. He will only get better over the next few years.

AJ is in a slump but he doesn't need anyone defending him. He is the best SS on the team and no one else is even close. Senzel is not a surprise to anyone who knows him. He has always been the most competitive guy on the field and he continues to be that guy.

Nick Williams, Maddox, Smart, and Stewart have been carrying water all year. They will step up even bigger in the spotlight over the next couple of weeks.

Reactions: 1 person
CDS is a top coach, no doubt (especially good with pitchers over the years). But he is not infallible. I question his pitching choices this year. They seemed desparate to me. I do not blame him that, one of our top hitters, AJ, has a confounding 1 XBH in 187 AB's. But i saw no change in AJ's approach all season, and i would have expected something.

Agree!

CDS is a top coach, no doubt (especially good with pitchers over the years). But he is not infallible. I question his pitching choices this year. They seemed desparate to me. I do not blame him that, one of our top hitters, AJ, has a confounding 1 XBH in 187 AB's. But i saw no change in AJ's approach all season, and i would have expected something.

It is fair to question any baseball manager's decisions, IMO. However, to take it to the point of saying let's find someone else is a little far-fetched.

CDS almost deserves a medal for enduring some of the gut-wrenching stuff he has seen this year.

Afa Aj is concerned what else would you want him to do? As mentioned above, he is a great glove man at SS, and while his power numbers are bad, his average, and OBA is still decent. Hopefully he can rally this weekend.

It is fair to question any baseball manager's decisions, IMO. However, to take it to the point of saying let's find someone else is a little far-fetched.

CDS almost deserves a medal for enduring some of the gut-wrenching stuff he has seen this year.

Afa Aj is concerned what else would you want him to do? As mentioned above, he is a great glove man at SS, and while his power numbers are bad, his average, and OBA is still decent. Hopefully he can rally this weekend.

Why don't you sign up to be the manager? Serrano is doing A work.

Just when I thought humanity could not get any dumber.......smdh.

VN Store

Back