9 of last 12 at home-Random thoughts

fryeguy93

Rufus X. Sarsaparilli
We are in good position here guys, we really are.

Today's bullpen failed late as Drake Owenby's terrible season is still going on. It seems obvious that Drake's preseason, practices and scrimmages were better than his game performances as he needs to battle through his pressure reflexes.

I like Serrano's plan to use multiple pitchers. Takes some pressure off Cox who is our pitching MVP by far.

We have Kentucky, Miss State and Florida who have all had tough stretches through their season. bulldogs and Gators started slowly and UK is finishing slowly.

I think Vincent Jackson is obviously back after a terrible 2/3 of a season. Our offense is really gaining steam and did well against a tough staff in rough environment over weekend.

Remaining Games for relevant teams:

UGA hosts SC, at Ole Miss and hosts Kentucky
Kentucky at Tennessee hosts Auburn and at UGA
Auburn hosts Miss. State, at Kentucky, hosts LSU

A series win against Kentucky would be HUGE!

Auburn had a surprisingly good weekend winning 2/3 at Arkansas. tigers have won 2 road series in 2014.

UGA has been swept for two straight weekends and has lost 8-games in row. (their last win was against UT). We should have won that series to say the least.

I think UGA and Mizzou are close to clinching their out-of-tournament spots. If UGA is swept by SC next weekend, they are toast. Mizzou plays Vandy and SC in consecutive weeks.

Vols are 10-11 against RPI Top-50. and Still hold #28 in RPI (good for 8th in SEC)

Overall, I believe Vols will finish #4 in the SEC-East. This may be 9th or 10th overall. Vanderbilt has to play Florida and So.Carolina in last 6-games. So the Vols could be as high as third in East thanks to tiebreaker. However, Dores should sweep at Mizzou next week to avoid this indignity.

The big series next week is obviously Florida and Alabama. I think the Tide might be coming back to reality after this weekend, but they suddenly have a tough homefiled advantage thanks to alcohol induced ferver in right field.

From Kendall Roger's Chat today...

Comment From John in New Orleans
Out of the eight bottom teams in the SEC (Miss St 11-10, Texas A&M, 10-11, Arkansas 10-11, Kentucky, 9-12, Auburn 9-12, Tennessee 8-13, Georgia 7.5-13.5, and Missouri 6-15), which four are not going to make the playoffs if only 10 schools are selected? Is RPI going to be the determining factor in breaking the ties or the way you finish the season factor in more than RPI?

K. Rogers: John, If the season ended today, I would say Auburn, Tennessee, Georgia and Missouri stay at home.

From Aaron Fitt's Chat today...

Todd (Nashville): So lets say, hypothetically, that the SEC finishes as it stands today. Who is in a regional? Is Tennessee in at 12th place and RPI of 28? Does 9th place TAMU jump in front at 39 RPI? Does Auburn at 11th place and 48 RPI? What's your pecking order at the bottom of the conference?

Aaron Fitt: A worthwhile discussion, especially since I never take an “if the season ended today” approach to Stock Report. The thing that helps Tennessee is the sweep of UNLV and the road series win at Arizona State. Is that enough to offset the fact that the Vols have lost 5 of their 7 conference series? I think the committee will view those series wins against teams from the West very favorably; so yes, I’ll say the Vols get in. Mississippi State and Texas A&M also in if the season ended today; Arkansas out because of the RPI; Auburn just out also. 10 teams in.

2-8 in conference series will likely be our downfall and we WILL become the highest (I assume) RPI team ever to miss a regional. That's not a distinction you want on your program. We HAVE to win one of the next 3 weekends. Its not super important which one, but the UK series will likely be the easiest. I am becoming more and more convinced this weekend is almost a make or break series for our regional hopes.

Really need Scott Price and Johnny Youngblood back from the injuries they suffered from colliding on Friday. That would really hurt not to have them against Kentucky.

2-8 in conference series will likely be our downfall and we WILL become the highest (I assume) RPI team ever to miss a regional. That's not a distinction you want on your program. We HAVE to win one of the next 3 weekends. Its not super important which one, but the UK series will likely be the easiest. I am becoming more and more convinced this weekend is almost a make or break series for our regional hopes.

It's still a bit early to throw in the towel imo, not that you are.

As you rightly assert, this weekend is big, because 1.) It's at home and we're better at home. 2.) The best remaining chance to win a series is versus UK and 3.) UK still has some national swag. The rest I'll save for the scout.

The losses at UGA and Auburn really hurt and it really is pretty simple, we now have to make up for them.

Put simply, we have to make Hoover. This team is capable of going 4-5 over the last nine, which means they win a series somehow...3-6 might get us to Hoover if Missouri and Georgia lose out, but that's not going to impress anyone.

Forgot to mention...a sweep of UK would change things dramatically...hey, it's possible. :)

Last edited:

VN Store

Back