Fielding % & pitchers' ability v. CDS pitch calls

BaseVol

I'm reluctant to start this thread, but it just keeps entering my mind...

Given our strong fielding ability and relative weakness pitching, does CDS demand too much of our staff with his pitch calling?

Just seems like he calls pitches with flawless execution in mind, which ain't gonna happen.

Could he keep it simpler on our pitchers and let our defense make more plays behind them for an overall better result?

Given our strong fielding ability and relative weakness pitching, does CDS demand too much of our staff with his pitch calling?

Just seems like he calls pitches with flawless execution in mind, which ain't gonna happen.

Could he keep it simpler on our pitchers and let our defense make more plays behind them for an overall better result?

I'm not sure what you're basing this on. And I'm not sure its even possible to do what you're saying. Good pitch calls really don't need more accuracy than maybe a 1/4 of the strike zone. If there's anyone to blame, its likely the pitchers themselves for being too fine. If there's anyone in the dugout who wants to see 27 groundouts, its Dave Serrano. Kids tend to get caught up in being too fine, and wanting to go for the strikeout. They are often afraid to let their defense work.

I haven't been able to watch any of the games, as much as I would love to, but it seems like we have an inordinate amount of wild pitches/passed balls...am I just dreaming this or are we?

now this info comes from reading the baseball threads during the games...we may not be and I may just be latching on to that scenario and it just seems like we are.

also, it may be the Arian Foster syndrome...seemed like he fumbled a lot but didn't, he just did it at the most inopportune times. That might be the case here.

Everything I posted -- other than my stated reluctance to even post it -- was in the form of a question ... for a reason!

Statistically, we're better in almost every category than our record/ranking indicates. Just trying to figure it out.

Pitching continues to be the most cited reason for this. Only stat that really jumps out is extra bases we've given up. Anecdotally, I've seen us make costly mistakes when the count is in our favor that MIGHT come down to an aggressive call. Like giving up a homer (or hitting a batter) with a curve ball in an 0-2 or similarly favorable count.

Your point about mindset of pitchers is dead-on, and probably the most likely explanation. But CDS expects guys to execute, period, and I just wonder if he sometimes doesn't adjust his pitch calling to account for a guy's known limitations.

It's no secret that CDS wants his staff to pound the lower part of the strike zone and if misses, miss low.

this certinaly plays into our defensive strength with lots of ground balls

Everything I posted -- other than my stated reluctance to even post it -- was in the form of a question ... for a reason!

Statistically, we're better in almost every category than our record/ranking indicates. Just trying to figure it out.

Pitching continues to be the most cited reason for this. Only stat that really jumps out is extra bases we've given up. Anecdotally, I've seen us make costly mistakes when the count is in our favor that MIGHT come down to an aggressive call. Like giving up a homer (or hitting a batter) with a curve ball in an 0-2 or similarly favorable count.

Your point about mindset of pitchers is dead-on, and probably the most likely explanation. But CDS expects guys to execute, period, and I just wonder if he sometimes doesn't adjust his pitch calling to account for a guy's known limitations.

If you can't execute your pitches, you'll always be in trouble. I think our guys are having a trying to hard problem, and its causing them to miss because they feel pressured. You can see that on their faces.

I haven't been able to watch any of the games, as much as I would love to, but it seems like we have an inordinate amount of wild pitches/passed balls...am I just dreaming this or are we?

now this info comes from reading the baseball threads during the games...we may not be and I may just be latching on to that scenario and it just seems like we are.

also, it may be the Arian Foster syndrome...seemed like he fumbled a lot but didn't, he just did it at the most inopportune times. That might be the case here.

The Automated ScoreBook - Team Statistics

Wild pitches
------------
1. Georgia............. 49
2. Mississippi State... 46
3. Kentucky............ 38
4. Vanderbilt.......... 36
5. Tennessee........... 33
6. Texas A&M........... 32
7. Auburn.............. 31
8. Florida............. 29
9. Alabama............. 27
10.Arkansas............ 25
11.Ole Miss............ 21
12.Missouri............ 18
13.South Carolina...... 13
14.LSU................. 11

Passed balls
------------
1. Vanderbilt.......... 15
2. Auburn.............. 12
3. Alabama............. 10
4. Texas A&M........... 9
Arkansas............ 9
6. Mississippi State... 8
7. Georgia............. 7
8. Kentucky............ 6
Missouri............ 6
10.South Carolina...... 5
Ole Miss............ 5
12.Tennessee........... 4
13.LSU................. 3
14.Florida............. 2

We were doing much better at the beginning of the season in terms of wild pitches, over the last two weeks we've been worse.

Schultz and Houser have done a wonderful job behind the plate this year, defensively.

Listed in terms of IP (min. 25 IP)

Nick Williams (Senior)

Andy Cox (Sophomore)

Kyle Serrano (Freshman)

Andrew Lee (Sophomore, did not pitch last year)

Hunter Martin (Freshman)

Josh Peterson (new-juco)

Peter Lenstrohm (new-juco)

Trevor Bettencourt (Sophomore)

4 of the 8 guys with the most IP are either freshmen or new juco's and Andrew Lee did not pitch last year due to injury.

I think CDS is going to do what he does in terms of calling pitches and having high expectations regarding execution, because overall, it will bode well for next year. If anything, I think he might have gone to easy on some of these guys early on with pitch counts and so forth. No one on the staff seems comfortable going more than 5 or so innings. We don't have a single complete game on the year.

It's frustrating as fans. One week, we pitch well but don't hit. the next week we score 6 runs, but the pitchers can't close out the game.

If we could ever put both together at the same time, the sky is the limit for this team.

I believe that biggest problem with the pitch calling has been that:

1. We don't throw inside enough.

2. We don't set people up when we get ahead in the count.

3. Calls the same pitch over and over.

And we have two or three pitchers that have shown that they need to prove themselves during the week before stepping on the mound on the weekend. The sky is the limit for this team this year and the years, but changes need to be made to the bullpen and a couple spots in the lineup. Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

I believe that biggest problem with the pitch calling has been that:

1. We don't throw inside enough.

2. We don't set people up when we get ahead in the count.

3. Calls the same pitch over and over.

And we have two or three pitchers that have shown that they need to prove themselves during the week before stepping on the mound on the weekend. The sky is the limit for this team this year and the years, but changes need to be made to the bullpen and a couple spots in the lineup. Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Welcome to the board. Post often. :hi:

I think it's more about execution. These are D1 college pitchers. We walk or get behind way too many batters. Go to the 8 inning against LSU Sunday, 4 pitch walk to the lead off hitter that inning. They aren't throwing 2-0, 3-0 curveballs. At this level you have to be able to locate your stuff.

Definitely, execution is a huge problem. I was just making a comment on this thread about pitch calling which I think has been lackluster as well.

If we are completely honest about the season thus far, we only have three pitchers that we can count on week to week. That being Cox, Martin, and Williams. They have one bad game a piece the entire season. Everyone else is up and down every week. We need a couple of more guys to step up and be consistent as well and it would pay dividends moving forward.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't care how old you are or how much experience you have. By the time these pitchers arrived at this level, they should know, the best pitch in baseball is A STRIKE!!

There are too many 2-0, 3-1 counts and too many lead off walks. No excuse for that. The coaches can make the right call but if the pitcher doesn't have enough confidence in his stuff to throw a strike, he shouldn't be in the game. Especially in the late innings.

Last edited:
Definitely, execution is a huge problem. I was just making a comment on this thread about pitch calling which I think has been lackluster as well.

If we are completely honest about the season thus far, we only have three pitchers that we can count on week to week. That being Cox, Martin, and Williams. They have one bad game a piece the entire season. Everyone else is up and down every week. We need a couple of more guys to step up and be consistent as well and it would pay dividends moving forward.

Ahh, the problems of youth. We will get this down in the off season. I mean our starters are two freshmen ans Nick Williams. We will get better!

VN Store

Back