LSU Scout

vol66

GBO!!!
Staff member
THE LAST MEETING

We haven't played LSU since 2011. We played that series in Baton Rouge and were swept...decisively. We got shut out 9-0 in game one. We got outscored 32-6 over the course of the weekend. Nick Williams and Dalton Saberhagen were freshmen on that team, the only two players of a seven member class that remain.

PLAYER RECOGNITION

I want to give Andy Cox a proper VN shout out for making the NCBWA Stopper of the Year Mid-Season Watch List. :yahoo: "Way to go Andy!"

Jr. RHPNot to be outdone, LSU's Joe Broussard made the list as well. This might be a good time to compare these relievers, as Cox will be moving to a starting role this Saturday, at least that's what we think...

Broussard- 0.40 ERA, 22.2 IP, 8 SV, 1-0 w/l, 10 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 8 BB, 21 SO, b/avg. .133

Cox- 1.62 ERA, 50 IP, 2 SV, 3-1 w/l, 27 H, 10 R, 9 ER, 15 BB, 45 SO, b/avg. .160

It's been a long time since we've had a pitcher at or near the top of ANY SEC Pitching Category, other than Godley who I believe finished #1 in complete games, if not top, very near the top.

It's also fitting to do it this week because LSU's Aaron Nola, the most heralded college pitcher this season is, of course, near or at the top of every category, let's see how Cox and Nola Compare...

ERA
1. Nola 0.88
4. Cox 1.62

Opposing Batting Average
1. Nola .159
2. Cox .160

Hits Allowed
1. Cox 27 H
8. Nola 39 H

Runs Allowed
1. Nola 7 R
2. Cox 10 R

Cox has not allowed a home run, and he's 4th in the SEC in appearances.

Nola leads the league, going away, in strike outs with 91, the next guy has 74.

I know it doesn't make a lot of sense to compare an elite starter with a reliever, but it's my way of showing just what kind of season Andy Cox is having up to this point. He's certainly earned the opportunity coming his way.

ON WITH THE SCOUT...

LSU: 31-10-1 (10-7-1)... Home 24-3-1...RPI 15...SOS 47

UT: 25-14 (7-11)............Away 7-8...RPI 30...SOS 32

***the three home losses were all to UF, the tie with UGA

When I think about the team that best represents what SEC Baseball is all about, it's LSU. When I think about having to go on the road to play in a hostile environment, LSU is first to come to mind.

For those that have not witnessed it, you're in luck. Saturday night's game will be televised.

When I think about LSU, obviously, I think about pitching. I also think about some big boys that can knock the ball around well and a stout defense. With regards to pitching, I'm right, but what about the rest?

At this point in the season, statistics are more relevant than they were several weeks ago, especially SEC Only Stats.

If I told you that LSU had the 13th worst team batting average would you believe me? It's true, their .229 is only slightly better than Arkansas' .221, which is worst in the league. UT comes in around 10 at .252 in SEC only games.

In the pitching department LSU's 3.28 ERA ranks 4th, while Tennessee's 4.22 ERA ranks 10th.

Fielding, UT and LSU (and UF) are tied at .971

When I was checking these stats last night, I went from "we have almost no chance to win a game" to thinking about the Vanderbilt series.

Speaking of Vandy, yeah they are currently the worst fielding team in the SEC with a miserable .958 fielding %...:eek:lol:

Apologies, I just had to get that in there.

THE LINE-UP

Last Friday's line up for LSU:

LF McMullen - .277 BA, * leads team in Dbls 13 & Slg.% .496 & RBI's 27.

RF Laird - .293 BA

SS Bregman - .286 BA * leads the team in stolen bases, 9 and E's 8.

DH Scivicque - .313 BA

C Moore - .250 BA

CF Stevenson - .360 BA * leads team in OB% .424, and Triples 4

1B Hale - .294 BA

3B Ibarra - .264 BA

2B Robertson - .190 BA * only freshman in the line up

Alex Bregman was a top player coming out of high school and that translated for the young short stop last year as he won nearly every award a freshman short stop can win including:

2013 National Freshman of the Year (Collegiate Baseball, Baseball America, NCBWA)
2013 National Shortstop of the Year (Brooks Wallace Award)
2013 First-Team All-American (Baseball America, ABCA, Perfect Game)
2013 SEC Freshman of the Year
2013 First-Team All-SEC

Let's compare Alex Bergman as a Sophomore to our own AJ Simcox, Ya'll had to know I was going to do this, lol...

Bergman: .286 BA, 154 AB, 19 R, 44 H, 7 2B's, 2 HR's, 26 RBI's, 22 BB, 16 SO, OB % .385, 9-13 SB/ATT, 8 E's, .958 Fld%

Simcox: .294 BA, 143 AB, 21 R, 42 H, 1 2B, 7 RBI's, 12 BB, 22 SO, .348 OB %, 10-15 SB/ATT, 8 E's .957 Fld%

Obviously, AJ has had a bit of a flukey year in terms of extra base hits and RBI, he had 26 RBI's last year which is what Bergman has now...He doesn't have the power that Bergman does but in all the other categories, he is every bit the player Bergman is.

Season Team Stats

LSU TEAM BA: .272
UT TEAM BA: .280

LSU SB-ATT: 30-44
UT SB-ATT: 64-84

LSU ERRORS: 39
UT ERRORS: 38

LSU FLD%: .975
UT FLD%: .975

PITCHING

FRIDAY

Aaron Nola ( Jr. RHP) 7-1, 0.88 ERA, 71.2 IP, 15 BB, 91 SO

Peter Lenstrohm ( Jr. RHP) 1-1, 2.13 ERA, 25.1 IP, 8 BB, 16 SO

*** first out of the BP for LSU, Jr. RHP Joe Broussard (stats at the top)

*** first out for UT, Kyle Serrano 5.40 ERA

SATURDAY

Jared Poche' (Fr. LHP) 6-3, 2.59 ERA, 55.2 IP, 17 BB, 36 SO

Andy Cox (Stats at the top)

*** First out for LSU, Cody Glenn 5.29 ERA

*** First out for UT, Hunter Martin 3.23 ERA

SUNDAY

LSU Undecided...Last week it was Alden Cartwright 1-0, 1.74 ERA, 20. 2 IP, 3 BB, 18 SO

Nick Williams (Sr. RHP) 4-4, 3.54 ERA, 61.0 IP, 12 BB, 46 SO

*** first out of the BP for LSU, Hunter Devall 1.17 ERA

*** first out for UT, Bret Marks 4.67 ERA

SUMMARY

LSU is ranked as high as #6 in the polls. That doesn't really tell the whole story because we've faced many ranked teams this year.

LSU has been ranked in the Top 10 of one of the major polls for 45 consecutive weeks. Let that sink in for a moment...I'll wait...

They have won 20 out of 26 SEC Series' over the past 3 seasons.

On the Paul Mainieri show (Their Vol Calls), coach had this to say about Tennessee:

"They are 7-11 and in a bit of a desperate situation with 4 weeks to go in the season, a wounded animal can sometimes be the most dangerous."

When one looks at both team's stats and looks at the individual players, there really isn't as big of a talent gap as one might think.

The difference is knowing how to win, knowing you will win, knowing what it takes to win... that's what separates UT and LSU imo. Yes they have a guy like Nola, but last Sunday they started a true freshman and they have no clear cut Sunday starter, according to Mainieri himself.

We are, or should I say, we ought to be the better team at the plate. We are much more aggressive on the base paths than they are. We have, at times been brilliant defensively.

Coach Serrano is making a pretty wild play this weekend and he's moving Williams to try to take advantage of their weakness on Sunday...but if we don't make them use some pitchers on Friday and Saturday by keeping the games close, it will be for nothing. This is why he gets paid the big bucks. As others have mentioned, it could back fire in a big way.

The Vol in me thinks back to 2009, when we took the series from them down there, in a season when they would go on to win the WHOLE THING and become National Champs...it can happen...

The realist in me says...We have to win at least one or the hole is going to be even deeper.

We have the talent to do it, and it would be a huge statement nationally if we could take the series.

GBO!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
I say, without hesitation, that Vol66 knows more about UT baseball than anyone else on VN.
I appreciate your passion.

Reactions: 1 person
I say, without hesitation, that Vol66 knows more about UT baseball than anyone else on VN.

I appreciate that, but there are many folks here that know more than I.

Sounds like you need a slight revision to your otherwise dead-on comment ...

I say, without hesitation, that Vol66 knows AND SHARES more about UT baseball than anyone else on VN.

Awesome, awesome, awesome write up. I love these scouting reports.

The Box is one hell of a place to play. Hopefully we learned a lot from the SC series, as I really think SC and LSU are very similar teams, especially at home. Hopefully we feed off the energy of 10K fans and are able to do what we couldn't at SC. We have to avoid the sweep this weekend to keep our head above water.

I'm not sure how I feel about Lehnstrom starting on Friday, against arguably the best arm in the nation. If he struggles, will we just let him be a punching bag and save arms for the rest of the weekend? Or do we assume we will get solid outings from Cox and Williams and staff it? Who knows... but I'm a little nervous about it.

Here's to winning the inning, 9 times, today, for three days in a row! Go Vols!

Awesome, awesome, awesome write up. I love these scouting reports.

The Box is one hell of a place to play. Hopefully we learned a lot from the SC series, as I really think SC and LSU are very similar teams, especially at home. Hopefully we feed off the energy of 10K fans and are able to do what we couldn't at SC. We have to avoid the sweep this weekend to keep our head above water.

I'm not sure how I feel about Lehnstrom starting on Friday, against arguably the best arm in the nation. If he struggles, will we just let him be a punching bag and save arms for the rest of the weekend? Or do we assume we will get solid outings from Cox and Williams and staff it? Who knows... but I'm a little nervous about it.

Here's to winning the inning, 9 times, today, for three days in a row! Go Vols!

I think you are about right on L'Strohm...He's going to be backed by KS and if the game goes bad, I think we'll let it go bad...

Saturday is the day IMO...You got Cox being backed by Hunter Martin, which really is just flipped from the way it would be if you think about it. If Cox gets off to a good start, GREAT, if not CDS can bring the quick hook, and you've got your normal Saturday starter, but maybe LSU has to make an adjustment because we've moved from a lefty to a righty.

The advantage of having Williams available on Sunday is obvious, though I'm not sure I wouldn't rather see Peterson than Marks first off the bench there...Maybe we'll need Peterson on Friday, who knows...

It's GON BE an exciting weekend, that's for sure.

Rave on and let's pull out the broom this weekend. These young men have had a rough time the past week. :good!:
GO VOLS!

This is exactly why Dave is one of the best. I thought I was stoned again when I read our rotation this weekend. It's obvious that we need wins.
I hope Lehnstrom is ready for his big day. He's actually a solid 1-2 inning guy, and he's been getting better.

I'm glad Dave is changing it up. We really need it.

I think Lehnstrom is the sacrificial lamb in the game opposite Nola. I like the shuffling of the starting rotation, especially in the opening game. Nick Williams has been strong all year but Vols really don't have anyone to match up w/Nola.

cant beat UGA in a series after winning the first game and get swept by ETSU. Really have no reason to believe they will be competitive here.

Hope we can get back on track a little after that ETSU loss, I'm from Johnson City and my ETSU friends have been so annoying.

VN Store

Back