Serrano changing things up.

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
With the pitching staff. Nothing is finalized, but for one, expect Cox to be the Saturday guy.

The goal is to change things up to give Tennessee the best chance of making the SEC Tournament.

Serrano wants to shorten the game and will make more moves based on matchups. He described his plan as a six-man pitching staff for the first six or seven innings. I take that to mean he's going to throw more guys for fewer innings, since the starters aren't getting it done.

Should be interesting to see how it plays out this weekend.

Reactions: 6 people
There's always the chance of such a move becoming a case of Russian Pitcher Roulette--if six guys pitch the same day, one of them is bound to blow up.

However, we do have four relief pitchers with more than 20 innings, ERA under 2.6 and BAA under .233. Together with the freshman starters, they could add up to some quality starts. And Serrano and Martin might be more effective if they only have to get through the lineup once.

Be interesting to see how CDS juggles the rotation. I would agree that now is a good time for some kind of move.

There's always the chance of such a move becoming a case of Russian Pitcher Roulette--if six guys pitch the same day, one of them is bound to blow up.

However, we do have four relief pitchers with more than 20 innings, ERA under 2.6 and BAA under .233. Together with the freshman starters, they could add up to some quality starts. And Serrano and Martin might be more effective if they only have to get through the lineup once.

Be interesting to see how CDS juggles the rotation. I would agree that now is a good time for some kind of move.

We have the arms to do this. I'm so happy were changing things up. Dave is one of the best for a reason.

Lee, Cox, Lehnstrom, Peterson, and Owenby being able to go two innings will be huge for us.

I listened to the interview very late yesterday and I was so excited that I listened to it twice.

I mentioned in the game thread this past Sunday that I thought we were rolling with the starters longer than we should. We've put the relievers into some bad situations because we don't hand them the ball at the top of the inning, trying stretch our starters out past what they have been effective, based on half a season.

Folks will be excited about Cox. For me this is a lot like last year when he started moving Godley into the best match up to give us the best chance to get a win. I also think this has the potential to get quality match ups versus the opposing teams batters in a given inning. As Showme states, it could back fire, but I think, given where we are in the standings, given that the guys that have been starting have not been able to go more than 3,4,5 innings most of the time and the effectiveness of the relievers when they are in a clean situation...seems like it's worth a shot.

I also think that this might help sharpen the focus. Using more pitchers will probably be welcomed in the dug out as well.

Martin, Serrano and Lee all have started 7,8 games which will give us some flexibility on Sundays. I really wish Owenby could find what he had this summer because we could really use a solid closer.

Very excited, sure wish the LSU series was here, gonna be a tough environment for a new experiment.

I'd make Williams the Saturday guy and use Cox in relief on Fri and/or Sat and if he only throws an inning or two on those days, make him the Sunday guy.

We have lost some great outings by Nick Williams because he was up against the other team's Friday guy. Most teams have a dominant Friday guy. Vols don't.

Really need another pitcher to step up. It has hurt that Owenby hasn't gotten the job done. With Owenby not being able to close the door, they have had to move lee into that spot and then they only have cox they trust to get from the starter to lee. Need one to two more guys that can pitch 6th-8th innings.

Also, really need Vincent Jackson to close the season well. This team was depending on him to be an everyday guy and hit over .300. They need him in the lineup producing.

What's happened to price?

What is the deal with Trevor Charpie and Eric Martin?

They've pitched a combined 1.2 innings this season. Last year Charpie made 21 appearances, tied for second-most. Martin made a team-high 22 appearances with very solid ERA and BAA.

Are they injured, or what?

What is the deal with Trevor Charpie and Eric Martin?

They've pitched a combined 1.2 innings this season. Last year Charpie made 21 appearances, tied for second-most. Martin made a team-high 22 appearances with very solid ERA and BAA.

Are they injured, or what?

Eric Martin was hurt at the beginning of the year. Not sure about Charpie. remind me in the game day thread on Friday and I'll ask the UT bloggers about them.

VN Store

Back