Vandy Scout

vol66

GBO!!!
Staff member
"I see a very good team, a very good team with a lot of pitching, probably the most pitching of anyone in the country...they are going to bring in the best arms we've seen all year long, they've got a lot of them."
~ Coach Dave Serrano on what he sees regarding the Vandy series.

The Pitching

Tyler Beede (Jr.-RHP) - 2.43 ERA, 4-3 W/L, 40 IP, 25 H, 20 R, 11 ER, 14 BB, 46 SO, 3 2B, 2 HR, b/avg .176

Leads team in SO...

Beede has been the Friday night guy and Vandy has lost it's first three Friday night SEC games (LSU, MSU and UK). When you look at R/ER, it would appear some errors in the field have something to do with those losses.

In the game versus LSU, a 4-2 loss, none of the four runs were earned, and Vandy was charged with two errors.

The MSU game looks like "just one of those" games. The 17-2 loss shows Beede giving up 6 hits, 11 runs, 5 earned, walking 5 in 2.2 IP...Vandy had 5 errors in that game.

The UK game was also a 4-2 loss and he went up against AJ Reed...Beede gave up 3ER in 5 IP...Reed went 8 IP giving up only 2ER...UK is one of the hottest batting teams, that's not a bad outing against them.

Jared Miller (Jr. LHP)- 1.73 ERA, 6-1 W/L, 41.2 IP, 22 H, 9 R, 8 ER, 15 BB, 30 SO, 4 2B, 1 3B, b/avg. .153

Miller is an imposing guy at 6'7 240 lbs. He's gone 2-1 in his SEC starts. He came on in relief in last year's finale, pitching 2 innings of shut out ball to pick up the Win.

Tyler Ferguson (So. RHP)- 1.36 ERA, 5-0 W/L, 38.2 IP, 22 H, 10 R, 6 ER, 10 BB, 33 SO, 5 2B, b/avg. .162

He made four starts last year, eight total appearances in mid week games.

First out of the Pen

Hayden Stone - .077 ERA, 23.1 IP
Carson Fulmer - 1.21 ERA, 22.1 IP
Brian Miller - .063 ERA, 14. 1 IP
Adam Ravenelle - 1.42 ERA, 12.2 IP

It's ridiculous really, good grief.

The Line Up

1- Ro Coleman DH.........BA .154
2- Xavier Turner 3B.......BA .322
3- Dansby Swanson 2B..BA .361
4- Bryan Reynolds LF.....BA .354
5- Vince Conde SS.........BA .326
6- Zander Wiel 1B.........BA .287
7- Rhett Wiseman RF.....BA .253
8- Jason Delay C...........BA ..250
9- John Norwood CF.......BA .219

Coleman is interesting. He's a freshman and he stands about 5'5 weighs about 140. Obviously he's got a unique strike zone. He's very fast but despite the speed he's only 2 of 5 stealing bases.

Jason Delay is also a freshman and it appears he's won the starting job.

Most are familiar with the rest.

Team BA: .287
Stolen bases/attempts: 45/67
Fielding %: .972 with 32 Errors

SUMMARY

Pitching, pitching and more pitching, that's Vandy baseball. They have come on a bit at the plate the last two weeks after a slow start. They are a very veteran club with a lot of experience, and of course, they are highly ranked.

If they have any weaknesses it would seem they don't have as much power hitting as in the past. My own observation based on the only full game I've seen is that they are not the most athletic bunch in the field. They've had some passed balls. Looking at the SEC statistics we are neck and neck with them in about every category sans pitching, this is a better match up than was SC...still...

None of that will matter if we can't put the ball into play. We need to find the swag, the energy that we had starting the season if we are to have much hope in this one. It's a home series, hopefully it'll be packed.

JMO

Forgot...

Friday- Nick Williams 1.96 ERA, 3-2 W/L, 46 IP, 30 H, 11 R. 10 ER, 8 BB, 30 SO, b/avg .190

Saturday: Hunter Martin 1.14 ERA, 2-1 W/L 23.2 IP, 26 H, 6 R, 3 ER, 7 BB, 12 SO, b/avg .289

Sunday: Kyle Serrano 5.60 ERA, 2-1 W/L, 27.1 IP, 20 H, 17 R, 17 ER, 20 BB, 20 SO, b/avg .206

GBO!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Will be in Knoxville for the 3-game series. Vandie not invincible. Their record similar to Tennessee's. GO VOLS!

~ Coach Dave Serrano on what he sees regarding the Vandy series.

The Pitching

Tyler Beede (Jr.-RHP) - 2.43 ERA, 4-3 W/L, 40 IP, 25 H, 20 R, 11 ER, 14 BB, 46 SO, 3 2B, 2 HR, b/avg .176

Leads team in SO...

Beede has been the Friday night guy and Vandy has lost it's first three Friday night SEC games (LSU, MSU and UK). When you look at R/ER, it would appear some errors in the field have something to do with those losses.

In the game versus LSU, a 4-2 loss, none of the four runs were earned, and Vandy was charged with two errors.

The MSU game looks like "just one of those" games. The 17-2 loss shows Beede giving up 6 hits, 11 runs, 5 earned, walking 5 in 2.2 IP...Vandy had 5 errors in that game.

The UK game was also a 4-2 loss and he went up against AJ Reed...Beede gave up 3ER in 5 IP...Reed went 8 IP giving up only 2ER...UK is one of the hottest batting teams, that's not a bad outing against them.

Jared Miller (Jr. LHP)- 1.73 ERA, 6-1 W/L, 41.2 IP, 22 H, 9 R, 8 ER, 15 BB, 30 SO, 4 2B, 1 3B, b/avg. .153

Miller is an imposing guy at 6'7 240 lbs. He's gone 2-1 in his SEC starts. He came on in relief in last year's finale, pitching 2 innings of shut out ball to pick up the Win.

Tyler Ferguson (So. RHP)- 1.36 ERA, 5-0 W/L, 38.2 IP, 22 H, 10 R, 6 ER, 10 BB, 33 SO, 5 2B, b/avg. .162

He made four starts last year, eight total appearances in mid week games.

First out of the Pen

Hayden Stone - .077 ERA, 23.1 IP
Carson Fulmer - 1.21 ERA, 22.1 IP
Brian Miller - .063 ERA, 14. 1 IP
Adam Ravenelle - 1.42 ERA, 12.2 IP

It's ridiculous really, good grief.

The Line Up

1- Ro Coleman DH.........BA .154
2- Xavier Turner 3B.......BA .322
3- Dansby Swanson 2B..BA .361
4- Bryan Reynolds LF.....BA .354
5- Vince Conde SS.........BA .326
6- Zander Wiel 1B.........BA .287
7- Rhett Wiseman RF.....BA .253
8- Jason Delay C...........BA ..250
9- John Norwood CF.......BA .219

Coleman is interesting. He's a freshman and he stands about 5'5 weighs about 140. Obviously he's got a unique strike zone. He's very fast but despite the speed he's only 2 of 5 stealing bases.

Jason Delay is also a freshman and it appears he's won the starting job.

Most are familiar with the rest.

Team BA: .287
Stolen bases/attempts: 45/67
Fielding %: .972 with 32 Errors

SUMMARY

Pitching, pitching and more pitching, that's Vandy baseball. They have come on a bit at the plate the last two weeks after a slow start. They are a very veteran club with a lot of experience, and of course, they are highly ranked.

If they have any weaknesses it would seem they don't have as much power hitting as in the past. My own observation based on the only full game I've seen is that they are not the most athletic bunch in the field. They've had some passed balls. Looking at the SEC statistics we are neck and neck with them in about every category sans pitching, this is a better match up than was SC...still...

None of that will matter if we can't put the ball into play. We need to find the swag, the energy that we had starting the season if we are to have much hope in this one. It's a home series, hopefully it'll be packed.

JMO

Forgot...

Friday- Nick Williams 1.96 ERA, 3-2 W/L, 46 IP, 30 H, 11 R. 10 ER, 8 BB, 30 SO, b/avg .190

Saturday: Hunter Martin 1.14 ERA, 2-1 W/L 23.2 IP, 26 H, 6 R, 3 ER, 7 BB, 12 SO, b/avg .289

Sunday: TBA

GBO!!!

Very good summary overall and I will add...

Vanderbilt is very young in the field as they start 2 juniors in Norwood and Conde and the rest are Freshman and Sophomores. Corbin is hoping that Coleman can turn into a Tony Kemp clone (reigning SEC MVP) but maybe be putting a little too much pressure on him as he has struggled at the plate.

Errors have plagued the team in 3 of the losses between youth in the field and the pitchers committing errors off the mound. Vanderbilt has not had much power in recent years and do not have much power again this year. As usual, I think this will keep them from taking the next step towards a title.

Pitching staff is a veteran group and once again the backbone of the team. I would personally like them to switch up the Friday starter for the opening series just to get out of the 3 game slump. The past 2 years, Friday games are usually the one game they seem to lose in the series.

Vanderbilt lost their 1st series in over 2 years when Mississippi State took them down earlier this year.

Tennessee seems to be much improved and really should have taken the SC series. That whole weekend series was awkward and SC is good enough to not let it affect them, like it may have the Vols.

Looking forward to the series but unfortunately will only be able to make the Friday game because of a wedding invite.

Very good summary overall and I will add...

Vanderbilt is very young in the field as they start 2 juniors in Norwood and Conde and the rest are Freshman and Sophomores. Corbin is hoping that Coleman can turn into a Tony Kemp clone (reigning SEC MVP) but maybe be putting a little too much pressure on him as he has struggled at the plate.

Errors have plagued the team in 3 of the losses between youth in the field and the pitchers committing errors off the mound. Vanderbilt has not had much power in recent years and do not have much power again this year. As usual, I think this will keep them from taking the next step towards a title.

Pitching staff is a veteran group and once again the backbone of the team. I would personally like them to switch up the Friday starter for the opening series just to get out of the 3 game slump. The past 2 years, Friday games are usually the one game they seem to lose in the series.

Vanderbilt lost their 1st series in over 2 years when Mississippi State took them down earlier this year.

Tennessee seems to be much improved and really should have taken the SC series. That whole weekend series was awkward and SC is good enough to not let it affect them, like it may have the Vols.

Looking forward to the series but unfortunately will only be able to make the Friday game because of a wedding invite.

Appreciate the input and I have a question if you get the time. I notice on the Vandy roster that you've only got 2 Seniors. I was curious, of the juniors, besides Beede obviously, who else projects to leave for the MLB after this season. tia

Miller and possibly Ravenelle. No field positions that I am aware of.

Miller is intimidating looking on the mound because of his sheer size and will think he will take a look.

Miller and possibly Ravenelle. No field positions that I am aware of.

Miller is intimidating looking on the mound because of his sheer size and will think he will take a look.

No doubt on Miller...Stallings ought to sign him up. :p

Looks like it's Kyle Serrano for the Sunday game. Interesting.

Why????????????????????
Why not give someone from the bullpen a shot at starting?
IMO, I don't think KS is ready to be a starter just yet.

VN Store

Back