#21 Vols Fall In Finale At #2 SC, 8-0

VN News

The No. 21 Tennessee baseball team was shutout for the first time and suffered its first series sweep of the season on Sunday, falling 8-0 in the finale at No. 2 South Carolina in front of a sold-out crowd of 8,242 at Carolina Stadium.

More...

Discuss.

A weekend like this is not unexpected. We all agreed that a young talented team would look great at times and head scratchingly bad at times. Unfortunately, this weekend had plenty of both.

As I said in another thread: This team is good enough to be in a position to win the first two games of the series against the #2 team in the nation. However, they didn't have a pitcher who was mentally tough enough to close out either game and they didn't have a hitter able to execute when a ground out or flyball was needed with bases loaded and one out in the 9th of game 1 or when a quality bunt was needed in the 14th of that same game. And don't forget the misplayed fly ball that left the door open for SCarolina to finish the comeback in the 9th inning of game 2.

A mentally stronger team would have pitched around the misplayed fly ball and not walked one and hit one to lead to having the bases loaded. A mentally stronger team would have executed on offense when a bunt, a hit, or a flyball was needed. But this team is full of competitors and they will learn from these mistakes and be stronger for it.

Don't give up, there is plenty of baseball to be played. On the flip side, Nick Williams had another strong start, Andy Cox pitched well and Kyle Serrano had a better outing today. The sun will come up tomorrow and it will be Orange!

Reactions: 3 people
A weekend like this is not unexpected. We all agreed that a young talented team would look great at times and head scratchingly bad at times. Unfortunately, this weekend had plenty of both.

As I said in another thread: This team is good enough to be in a position to win the first two games of the series against the #2 team in the nation. However, they didn't have a pitcher who was mentally tough enough to close out either game and they didn't have a hitter able to execute when a ground out or flyball was needed with bases loaded and one out in the 9th of game 1 or when a quality bunt was needed in the 14th of that same game. And don't forget the misplayed fly ball that left the door open for SCarolina to finish the comeback in the 9th inning of game 2.

A mentally stronger team would have pitched around the misplayed fly ball and not walked one and hit one to lead to having the bases loaded. A mentally stronger team would have executed on offense when a bunt, a hit, or a flyball was needed. But this team is full of competitors and they will learn from these mistakes and be stronger for it.

Don't give up, there is plenty of baseball to be played. On the flip side, Nick Williams had another strong start, Andy Cox pitched well and Kyle Serrano had a better outing today. The sun will come up tomorrow and it will be Orange!

THE GOOD: We have the potential to win a series any and every weekend this year.

THE BAD: Exactly what you said.

GBO!

Reactions: 2 people

Agree. Vols not quite at the level of top SEC teams, but are much improved and able to stay with, but likely not beat, top teams in SEC. I had the feeling, now confirmed, CDS coached early part of season to win all games at all costs to rack up W's becaues he knew it was going to be tuff to win when SEC started. ASU and UNLV were impressive series wins but not as important as getting a good look at how deep you can go in your bullpen to be ready for the SEC. The talent is there to compete each weekend and give Vols fans some good baseball.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm going to guess we'll be out of the Top 25 now. I get it was the #2 team in the nation but we got swept.

1-5 league record....long year here on out

Of course, your boy Roddy D would be 9-0 in SEC play this year, amirite?:clapping:

This team is still 1-2 seasons away from really making a mark in SEC play. If you can't or won't appreciate the job Serrano has done so far, then GTFO.

I remember a quote from Jim Palmer. "A bad game may ruin my sundown but it will never ruin my sun up."

If you can't understand this theory, you don't need to play baseball and probably shouldn't root too closely for a baseball team either.

VN Store

Back