Auburn Scouting Report

vol66

GBO!!!
Staff member
Auburn is 15-7 overall, 2-1 in the SEC.

Auburn's RPI is 44 and their SOS is 43.

Auburn's record on the road is 1-0.

They got off to a slow start losing five of their first 10 games. The new coach kicked a couple guys off the team. He has vowed that they will play some post season baseball.

They are currently 9-1 in their last ten games, the lone loss to TAMU. That was the final game of the series, Auburn won the first two. On Tuesday and Wednesday they took care of business against a poor Coppin State team.

Best wins: Sweep of Mercer, series win versus TAMU, Indiana State

Worst losses: Presbyterian(Auburn did win the series), ETSU, Alabama State.

The Pitchers

Friday - Dillon Ortman (Jr. RHP) - 1.83 ERA, 4-1 w/l, 34 IP, 30 H, 11 R, 7 ER, 4 BB, 24 SO, given up only 3DBL's.

In the series versus TAMU he had a complete game shut out. 9 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO, 1 HBP...Auburn won 4-0.

He's an experienced hoss of a kid, 6-2 and 198.

Saturday - Keegan Thompson (Fr. RHP) - 0.69 ERA, 4-0 w/l, 39 IP, 13 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 6 BB, 31 SO, given up only 2 DBL's.

In the series versus TAMU he TOO pitched a complete game. 9 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 10 SO, 1 WP, 1HBP...Auburn won 4-2

He was the No. 2 overall player in Alabama and No. 1 pitcher according to Perfect Game ... Ranked the No. 63 overall prospect and No. 18 pitcher in the nation ... 2013 Rawlings First-Team All-American.

He's a stud, best ERA, most IP...Six walks and 31 K's in 39 innings :eek:hmy:

Sunday- Justin Camp (So. RHP) - 2.90 ERA, 1-2 w/l, 31 IP, 25 H, 11 R, 10 ER, 8 BB, 23 SO, 4 DBL's...

In the series versus TAMU he picked up a loss, 5.1 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO.

It was the only game in the TAMU series they used any relievers, and Camp was a reliever last year turned starter this year. They gave up 9 runs on 15 hits.

Seems pretty obvious doesn't it...We have to be able to hit their Friday and Saturday guys to force the relievers into the game.

The team ERA is 2.57

The Batters

The team batting average is .286.

The leading hitter on the team is Damek Tomscha. He's batting .414 and has 2 doubles and 5 home runs on the season.

They have 4 or 5 other guys depending on the DH who are currently .300 or better. Auburn leads the league in SAC Bunts.

Auburn season statistics: http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2013-2014/teamcume.html

SEC Team Statistics: The Automated ScoreBook - Team Statistics

Notes

Auburn is dead last in the league in fielding percentage .963. They have committed a league high 33 errors, for perspective, we've committed 13.

Tennessee and Auburn are ranked 1 and 2 in stolen bases and attempted stolen bases.

The two teams are very similar stat wise in many ways. Should be a very challenging series for us.

The Vols currently are 14-0 at home (going back to the final game of last season). They are tied for 3rd longest home winning streak in college baseball.

GBO!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I am truly hoping for the best once again. I'll be honest; I have battered wife syndrome from Dooley football. Dave knows what he is doing. I think his aggressive style is great for the guys we have on our team. Fielding could be the difference in the series.

Kendall Rogers ‏@KendallRogersPG · 3h
#Vols 2 of 3, but #AU will play well IMO. RT @mastinalex: @KendallRogersPG What's your prediction on Auburn at Tenn this weekend?

I am truly hoping for the best once again. I'll be honest; I have battered wife syndrome from Dooley football. Dave knows what he is doing. I think his aggressive style is great for the guys we have on our team. Fielding could be the difference in the series.

I have some concerns myself.

Our fielding is the biggest distinct advantage. We have to take advantage of mistakes made by Auburn. Its like a football game this week.

We're walking too many, we're letting their lead off man on too much, whether by walk, HBP or a hit. We also haven't been hitting that great as a team versus the better pitchers we have faced.

If we can hit their first two guys, I'll feel much better going forward. The pitching we're fixing to face in the coming weeks is going to be brutal.

We're walking too many, we're letting their lead off man on too much, whether by walk, HBP or a hit. We also haven't been hitting that great as a team versus the better pitchers we have faced.

If we can hit their first two guys, I'll feel much better going forward. The pitching we're fixing to face in the coming weeks is going to be brutal.

We do need to walk less people. AP was full of bad calls, but if we run the basepaths Auburn will be nervous. It could cause mistakes.

I love these breakdowns. Thanks, 66!

I didn't realize how good their starters have been. This is going to be another grind for sure. We have to find a way to scratch out 2 wins this weekend. I'm excited!

I love these breakdowns. Thanks, 66!

I didn't realize how good their starters have been. This is going to be another grind for sure. We have to find a way to scratch out 2 wins this weekend. I'm excited!

Yep...In my opinion, I welcome others, we've faced three somewhat "elite" pitchers. The Friday guys for UNLV (Fedde), ASU (Lilek) and Mizzou (Graves).

We went 1-2 in those games. We got Fedde for 7 hits and 3 Runs in six innings, it was still a one run game, but we won because we were hitting.

Against ASU, Nick Williams gave up 2 runs in the first inning, but didn't give up another until the sixth. Lilek pitched for 7 innings and we got 3 hits but no runs. The relievers did well and gave ASU nada, but we didn't hit and lost the game 3-1.

Similar situation versus Mizzou except Nick Williams gave them nothing. Six innings of shut out baseball, sure the relievers take some blame for giving up 5 runs, but we managed 2 runs on 8 hits, offensively.

The flip side...

UNLV was a home game. The other two were on the road. Hopefully all this winning they've been doing will translate into a bunch of fans at LNS to cheer the boys on, in the first home SEC showdown of the year.

Auburn, Tennessee to match baseball hot streaks - AuburnTigers.com - Official Athletics Site of the Auburn Tigers

First-year Auburn coach still isn’t sure what to make of the Vols.

“Their RPI is really high because they’ve won,” Golloway said. “Their really good road wins are at Missouri in the SEC and at Arizona State. It doesn’t look like the records are real good, so it is hard for me to gauge really what we are going into.

“We just need to approach it like they are going to be top of the chart with one of the best records in the SEC. Let’s go get it. I feel good about matching up.”

http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/2014/03/21/sec-weekend-preview-321-323/#more-56760

Tennessee vs. Auburn

FRIDAY (6 p.m. ET)
AUBURN Sr. RHP Dillon Ortman (4-1, 1.83 ERA) vs TENNESSEE Sr. RHP Nick Williams (3-1, 1.48 ERA)

SATURDAY (4 p.m. ET) [CSS/E3] Auburn Fr. RHP Keegan Thompson (4-0, 0.69 ERA) at Tennessee Fr. RHP Hunter Martin (2-0, 0.73 ERA)

SUNDAY (2 p.m. ET) Auburn R-So. RHP Justin Camp (1-2, 2.90 ERA) vs Tennessee So. RHP Andrew Lee (2-0, 3.46 ERA)

Two of the most surprising stories of the SEC season square off this weekend in Knoxville. The Vols have done everything and then some to compile an 18-2 overall record thus far. On the other hand, after getting off to a rough start Auburn has won 9 of 10 and things are looking up. Tennessee is the better team, however, and packs an offensive punch to go with a very high quality pitching staff. Auburn has been tough as of late but Tennessee gets it done this weekend.

Series prediction: Tennessee 3-0

Let me see...then all the Vols have to do is hit the ball hard at someone and we'll score. Is that about right?:)
GO VOLS!

Auburn is not a good hitting team, at least from the few games Ive seen. They have very little power other than Tomscha and Tella occasionally.

Ortman is very hittable. His stuff is not particularly overpowering or nasty, so put it in play and let Glevenyak and Tomscha boot it around the infield.

Keegan is an absolute stud. That Saturday game ought to be a good one.

Camp is pretty mediocre which is why he's the Sunday starter.

Auburn cant hit so the Vols can win the series (or even sweep it) with just a little good hitting.

Reactions: 1 person
Auburn is not a good hitting team, at least from the few games Ive seen. They have very little power other than Tomscha and Tella occasionally.

Ortman is very hittable. His stuff is not particularly overpowering or nasty, so put it in play and let Glevenyak and Tomscha boot it around the infield.

Keegan is an absolute stud. That Saturday game ought to be a good one.

Camp is pretty mediocre which is why he's the Sunday starter.

Auburn cant hit so the Vols can win the series (or even sweep it) with just a little good hitting.

Pretty much sums it up. :hi:

VN Store

Back