Dave Serrano Press Conference (3/10)

VN News

Tennessee baseball head coach Dave Serrano spoke to the media about the Diamond Vols 14-1 start, series win at Arizona State and the upcoming SEC schedule.

More...

Discuss.

Reactions: 2 people
Dave Serrano in serious "Proud Papa" mode. He is nearly giddy over this team. Does this old Vol fan's heart some good to see it too.

I am not complaining, but Coach keeps saying (Twitter and elsewhere) how Vols are winning with Tennessee or homegrown players when 21 of the 35 players on the roster are from out-of-state and 7 of our 10 Friday night starters are not from Tennessee. I don't care where the players come from as long as the Vols win but Coach seems to want to convince some people that he is winning with players from Tennessee.

I am not complaining, but Coach keeps saying (Twitter and elsewhere) how Vols are winning with Tennessee or homegrown players when 21 of the 35 players on the roster are from out-of-state and 7 of our 10 Friday night starters are not from Tennessee. I don't care where the players come from as long as the Vols win but Coach seems to want to convince some people that he is winning with players from Tennessee.

I don't see how you got that from the press conference, and maybe I missed the twitter comments you are referencing.

By your numbers, 1/3 of the roster are Tennessee players, that's a pretty big number, Vandy only has nine and they talk like they own the state. Maybe they do in the sense that they can cherry pick.

When you really look at the roster you see a lot of juco players that were brought in to help immediately, those guys make up nearly all of the juniors and seniors on the team. When you look at the freshmen and sophomores, 20 players total, 11 are from Tennessee. The core of the team going forward, Andy Cox, AJ Simcox, Hunter Martin Drake Owenby, Andrew Lee, Nick Senzel, Jordan Rogers, Kyle Serrano, plus some guys we don't no much about yet, like Freeman and Plunkett...that's quite a few Tennessee boys with more likely to come.

Every time I hear Serrano speak, I like him more.

I don't see how you got that from the press conference, and maybe I missed the twitter comments you are referencing.

By your numbers, 1/3 of the roster are Tennessee players, that's a pretty big number, Vandy only has nine and they talk like they own the state. Maybe they do in the sense that they can cherry pick.

When you really look at the roster you see a lot of juco players that were brought in to help immediately, those guys make up nearly all of the juniors and seniors on the team. When you look at the freshmen and sophomores, 20 players total, 11 are from Tennessee. The core of the team going forward, Andy Cox, AJ Simcox, Hunter Martin Drake Owenby, Andrew Lee, Nick Senzel, Jordan Rogers, Kyle Serrano, plus some guys we don't no much about yet, like Freeman and Plunkett...that's quite a few Tennessee boys with more likely to come.

Coach tweeted on the topic after the ASU series and once before a couple of weeks ago. I don't understand why - thats all. UT is a national university. Again, as long as the Vols win he can get the players from the DR (maybe a good idea). It does not matter to me that 7 of the 10 Friday night starters are from out-of-state as long as they win. And i care nothing about that other school, that has never owned, and will never own, the State.

Coach tweeted on the topic after the ASU series and once before a couple of weeks ago. I don't understand why - thats all. UT is a national university. Again, as long as the Vols win he can get the players from the DR (maybe a good idea). It does not matter to me that 7 of the 10 Friday night starters are from out-of-state as long as they win. And i care nothing about that other school, that has never owned, and will never own, the State.

It's all good, I follow the team pretty closely and haven't read/heard any comment about home grown talent or winning with Tennessee players or the like.

VN Store

Back