Thoughts on MTSU and the ASU Series

vol66

GBO!!!
Staff member
I'm not going to do a scouting report on MTSU this week. I don't know much about them, they won a game against a decent UAB team this weekend and they got beat by Vandy by only a run in their mid-week game. They always play us tough and I don't suspect this one will be any different. If we've truly turned the corner then this is one you file under "taking care of business".

Thoughts about the ASU series...

Big props to our catchers, Houser and Schultz. They have both been stellar defensively and a bit of a pleasant surprise offensively.

VJax's .233 average is a little misleading. He's had 43 at bats, through 15 games. He has 10 hits and he's been walked or HBP/ 13 times. He has zero strike outs and opposing pitchers have to do a lot of work when he's at the plate.

Senzel...what can ya say...incredible! Maggio is hanging in there too. The frosh duo performing very well through the first 15 games.

Andy Cox, 24 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 5 BB, 19 SO, .75 ERA :clapping:

The relievers have done a heck of a job so far! Petersen looked good today.

There are some things that need to be cleaned up, too many lead off walks, too many stranded RISP, etc...no doubt they will be working on things.

Having Mizzou and Auburn after MTSU, gives us some time to tune up the engine so to speak.

They had to fight and claw to win this weekend and the loss probably helped as much as it hurt. Keep getting better everyday and staying hungry is all we can hope for as fans.

GBO!!!

Vol66 is Owenby not heathy or do you know. He just does not seem to be himself and I wonder if he does not have some sort of nagging injury. We are going to need him when we get into the SEC schedule.

I agree this series win is huge for this team they now know they can compete with the big boys.

There are some things that need to be cleaned up, too many lead off walks, too many stranded RISP, etc...no doubt they will be working on things. ...

This really was a problem in UT's only loss thus far, and we had 9 runners left on base today. It certainly is something that needs work and no doubt the coaches will be emphasising.

Vol66 is Owenby not heathy or do you know. He just does not seem to be himself and I wonder if he does not have some sort of nagging injury. We are going to need him when we get into the SEC schedule.

I agree this series win is huge for this team they now know they can compete with the big boys.

I don't think that he's got any kind of injury, I mean to say, CDS hasn't mentioned it and he did pitch yesterday, he was seen warming up in the BP today...so...

I agree he's looked a bit shaky and I'm not a pitching expert so I don't want to speculate. He got into a real rhythm of pitching nearly everyday during the summer, now he's not sure if and when he's going to get the call...I dunno...I'm not worried really...anybody else have thoughts?

I love this team. We are strong up the middle, Smart looks like Brooks Robinson at 3rd, and Maggio seems to have a 10 ft wingspan at 1st. We're deep on the mound for a change and our batters are smart AND aggresive for the most part.

Too bad tomorrows game isn't at LNS (70 and sunny).

http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/2014/03/10/sunday-roundup-39/#more-56105

Tennessee knocked off Arizona State 6-4 behind a big effort from their bullpen to come back to take the series after losing the opener on Friday. The Vols continue to be one of the most impressive teams in college baseball in the opening weeks of the new season and going on the road to defeat a tough Sun Devil team was very impressive. Dave Serrano’s club used three 6th inning runs to propel themselves to the win and improve to 14-1. With SEC series against Mizzou and Auburn coming up over the next two weeks, the Vols have a good chance to keep the momentum rolling.

Top 25 Tracker: March 10 - BaseballAmerica.com

The Volunteers forced their way into the rankings for the first time since 2007 by winning a road series at Arizona State, their second quality series win against a an opponent from the West (they also swept UNLV). Nick Williams (6.1 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 4 K) was solid in a losing cause Friday, as ASU’s Brett Lilek silenced the Tennessee bats. A.J. Simcox (3-for-5, R) led the Tennessee offense Saturday, and Hunter Martin (2.2 IP, 3 H, 0 R) earned the win in relief of Andrew Lee (4.1 IP, 7 H, 3 ER). Nick Senzel (2-for-3, 2 R, 2 RBI) and Nathaniel Maggio (3-for-4, R, RBI) led the way Sunday, as the Vols broke a 3-3 tie with three runs in the sixth, and Andy Cox worked two hitless innings for the save.

From today's PG chat w/ KR

Comment From Dan
We've seen some nice breakout performances so far in 2014, but who are some of the true breakout players in 2014? Thanks!

K. Rogers: Dan, Chris Ellis, based on the way he's pitched thus far, is a big-time breakout player for me. Went from a dude, to a potential All-American. We'll see he keeps that up. Also, you can pretty much go through Tennessee's roster and find multiple breakout players right now.

That UNLV Sweep might look really good at the end of the season.

Comment From Runnin Reb
Do you think UNLV can make a regional this year? What are your views on them?

KR: Reb, Have a pretty decent chance to win the Mountain West crown this year. You know, it's funny because getting swept by Tennessee a few weeks ago seemed bad, but not really anymore. Erick Fedde is meeting expectations, and several pitchers have stepped up. If you pitch in the MWC, you've got a chance.

Comment From John
After an impressive road series win at ASU, what are your thoughts on how Tennessee will fare this year? Enough to see them as a team that will get to the SEC tourney and possibly a regional?

KR: John, The fact that Tennessee is ranked right now is probably one of the top stories of the year already. I definitely didn't see this coming. Simcox, Maddox and Senzel (the big surprise) have been terrific offensively, the Vols have an elite arm in a guy like Andy Cox. It's still early, and hopefully this doesn't jinx Serrano's club, but this team looks complete.

Last edited:
Some info on MTSU...

MT hosts Tennessee in Tuesday night showdown | GoBlueRaiders.com

It states that Owenby will be getting the start, that's a surprise IMO. Of course , the write up called him "Dylan" and not Drake so...That's pretty interesting.

Nathan Foriest will get the start for MTSU he has made four appearances, two starts, pitched 13 innings, stats are: 11 H, 10 R, 10 ER, 5 BB, 7 SO, ERA 6.92, he's also hit a team high six batters, given up two doubles and a home run.

Foriest was the Starting pitcher in the 4-3 loss to Vandy.

MTSU's team batting average is .248.

Last edited:
Former Vols Jared Allen and Brandon Zajac are on the MTSU roster. Allen went 3 for 4 with 2 RBIs and a triple against Vandy. MTSU had a freshmen pitcher, Will Small, very interesting rocking motion, held Vandy to 2 hits and no runs over three innings, I expect we'll see him.

MTSU had several chances to win that game. They are a good ball club.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back