Polls

fryeguy93

Rufus X. Sarsaparilli
All the Polls are now in:

polls.png

What have we learned:

UVA will be #1 in the polls until they lose to a high school team.

A sweep over a #11 team is not as good as losing to VMI and beating three northern patsies.

College of Charleston randon ranking proves they are better than Tennessee

Sports writers and experts have trouble admitting they misjudged a team. Miss State still being ranked is exhibit #1. Rice #2.

Last edited:
Collegiate Baseball

1 So. Carolina
2 Florida St
3 Fullerton
4 LSU
5 Virginia
6 Vanderbilt
7 NC State
8 Oregon State
9 Oregon
10 Louisville
11 LA-Lafayette
12 Oklahoma St
13 Cal Poly-SLO
14 Miss. State
15 No. Carolina
16 UCLA
17 Texas
18 Ole Miss
19 TENNESSEE
20 Miami
21 Fla. International
22 Seton Hall
23 Kentucky
24 San Diego
25 Fresno State
26 Kansas
27 Arkansas
28 TCU
29 Rice
30 Clemson

Vols are up 4 spots. Close to the ever important top-16 range!

Weren't the Vols ranked 28th before the series with Quinnipiac?

Perfect Game

1 Virginia
2 Florida St
3 Fullerton
4 So. Carolina
5 Vanderbilt
6 Oregon State
7 NC State
8 Miss. State
9 Cal Poly-SLO
10 UCLA
11 LSU
12 Oregon
13 Louisville
14 LA-Lafayette
15 No. Carolina
16 Clemson
17 Rice
18 Fla. Atlantic
19 Texas
20 Miami
21 Indiana
22 Kentucky
23 Oklahoma St.
24 Fresno St.
25 Sam Houston St

per PG, Tennessee is not even on the 5 to watch list. Very odd, pro-ACC list by Kendall

Last edited:
Baseball America

"The staff of Baseball America determines the Top 25 rankings. Records do not include ties.
Team W-L Last Week Previous Ranking
1. Virginia 9-2 3-1 1
2. Florida State 8-1 2-1 2
3. South Carolina 10-0 3-0 3
4. Cal State Fullerton 7-3 3-0 5
5. Oregon State 9-3 3-1 4
6. North Carolina State 9-2 3-1 6
7. Louisiana-Lafayette 10-2 3-1 10
8. Vanderbilt 10-2 3-2 8
9. Louisiana State 9-2 2-2 7
10. Texas 9-3 4-0 15
11. Cal Poly 8-2 2-1 13
12. Mississippi State 10-4 6-0 18
13. UCLA 7-4 3-1 13
14. Oregon 8-3 1-3 9
15. Clemson 6-4 1-3 11
16. Miami 5-5 1-2 16
17. Indiana 4-5 2-0 17
18. Rice 7-5 1-3 12
19. Louisville 8-3 3-1 20
20. Sam Houston State 10-2 3-1 NR
21. North Carolina 7-3 4-0 22
22. Texas Christian 7-4 1-3 16
23. Kentucky 9-2 4-0 NR
24. Fresno State 9-2 3-0 NR
25. Mississippi 11-1 5-0 NR
Dropped out: Alabama, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Florida"

Perfect Game
per PG, Tennessee is not even on the 5 to watch list. Very odd, pro-ACC list by Kendall

I am not surprised we aren't in the two major polls (PG and BA). No reason to bring a team in a week before their first real test. (also not a real serious test, and one that could make PG/BA look stupid in a week.) I am surprised however that we don't show up the teams to watch list, because I know Kendall is watching. Its hard to imagine winning the series at Tempe next weekend wouldn't drive us into both Polls if there's room.

#19 from Collegiate Baseball is a little reactionary IMO. I don't think there's any evidence to move us up 9 spots based on a series sweep of Quinnipiac.

@KendallRogerPG: "Have a lot of #Tennessee questions in my inbox. Love what Serrano and his staff are doing right now. ASU this weekend could skyrocket #Vols."

As I said, ASU series is where we can really see if this team is for real.

Reactions: 1 person
I am not surprised we aren't in the two major polls (PG and BA). No reason to bring a team in a week before their first real test. (also not a real serious test, and one that could make PG/BA look stupid in a week.) I am surprised however that we don't show up the teams to watch list, because I know Kendall is watching. Its hard to imagine winning the series at Tempe next weekend wouldn't drive us into both Polls if there's room.

#19 from Collegiate Baseball is a little reactionary IMO. I don't think there's any evidence to move us up 9 spots based on a series sweep of Quinnipiac.

I'm not surprised because the baseball polls have been notoriouly inconsistent and provencial. Vols will have to likely sweep to even break in at 25. UVA just has to be .500 to keep their spot.

Sadly, even the BA cheerleaders deep-down, know that their conference has no chance to win a title this season. yet, the keep throwing them up their. And why Virginia? Even Fla State has accomplished more and has fewere bad losses than UVA.

Last edited:
Just to keep beign consistent....

Baseball America's Weekly ACC Rocks Poll
(Innacurate since 1955)

1 Virginia
2 Florida St
3 So. Carolina
4 Fullerton
5 Oregon State
6 NC State
7 LA-Lafayette
8 Vanderbilt
9 LSU
10 Texas
11 Cal Poly-SLO
12 Miss. State
13 UCLA
14 Oregon
15 Clemson
16 Miami
17 Indiana
18 Rice
19 Louisville
20 Sam Houston St.
21 No. Carolina
22 TCU
23 Kentucky
24 Fresno St
25 Ole Miss

Last edited:
Upon my first glance today, I didn't really have a problem with the BA poll. I mean the four SEC teams that dropped out deserved to, BA replaced 2 of those 4 spots with SEC teams...that's not terrible.

A closer look provided a different view. SC is 6-0 versus the top 50 RPI. SC has the #1 RPI. SC's SOS is ranked #8

Virginia has an RPI of 7 and they are 4-2 vs the top 50 RPI. UVA's SOS is # 17.

Further, as a conference, the ACC has one team (UVA) that is above .500 vs. RPI top 50.
The SEC has 3 teams, SC, UT and UK, that are above .500 vs. RPI Top 50.

This is nothing but a bunch of numbers and it's too early for them to mean much, and I'm not being an SEC/UT homer...we don't deserved to be ranked at this point because of our SOS, # 190 and none of our wins are on the road...but it's pretty easy to make the case that A.) SC should be ranked ahead of UVA and B.) Compared to the SEC teams, ACC teams aren't playing very tough schedules as a whole.

All numbers from Warren Nolan.

Last edited:
USA Today Coaches Poll

1 So. Carolina
2 Florida St.
3 Virginia
4 Vanderbilt
5 Fullerton
6 Oregon State
7 LSU
8 NC State
9 Oregon
10 Miss. State
11 UCLA
12 Oklahoma St.
13 Louisville
13 LA-Lafayette
15 Ole Miss
16 Cal Poly-SLO
17 No. Carolina
18 Texas
19 Rice
20 Clemson
21 Tennessee
22 Kentucky
23 Miami
24 Sam Houston St.
25 Arkansas

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
By the way, I noticed Tennessee Tech was getting votes in the coaches poll. Good for them, they deserve to be rankled more than Mississippi State does at this point.

The coaches polls seems to be more dead-on than others. There's no way SC should not be #1 and Fla State #2. Virginia has bad losses to UK and VMI and should have had 1 or 2 more losses as well. Vanderbilt would be higher had they not lost those ugly midweek games last week.

And who does Mississippi State have to lose to actually fall in the polls? 4 cupcake wins over weekend does not erase the cowpies they made the prior two weeks.

Reactions: 1 person
Comment From Jarrett Davis
Why is it UVA is always the default # 1. I don't think they could beat SC or CSF. I think SC/ CSF should be 1 and 2

Rogers : Jarrett, Good question. Virginia is very much loaded offensively and on the mound, has several veterans back and are very talented. Sure, anyone in the Top 10-15 could beat the other in a three-game series, but for now, we think Virginia has the slight edge over the rest. The best part? We'll get to find out if that's true soon.

Comment From Alf
Why did the Gamecocks not move up AT ALL after sweeping the #11 team in the country on top of being the only undefeated team left in your obviously biased top 25 rankings?

Alf,
Yes, you know me, very biased against a South Carolina program I've written about probably 100 times in the last three years. With that said, on a more serious and lighter note, I really like this Gamecocks club. Thought so before the season, but the offense is very solid, Tanner English is heating up, and the pitching staff is as good as expected, with guys like Will Crowe stepping up. In terms of rankings, Fullerton swept a higher ranked team on the road, Virginia had a good week, and FSU took two of three from a Top 15 club. Not seeing the wiggle room there.

Last edited:
Rogers : Jarrett, Good question. Virginia is very much loaded offensively and on the mound, has several veterans back and are very talented. Sure, anyone in the Top 10-15 could beat the other in a three-game series, but for now, we think Virginia has the slight edge over the rest. The best part? We'll get to find out if that's true soon..

Those are the reasons UVA, UNC, Clemson or <Fill in the ACC Blank> are listed #1 nearly every season by Baseball America, who evidently cannot watch games occuring more than 2-hours away from Curham, NC.

And barring some UNC appearances in consecutive title series losses to Ore. State; the wheels fall off the ACC "Talent Wagon' every season.

It's the same reason Jack Leggett is considered a "genius" as he and all his disciples have piled up dozens of nationals titles and never choke in tournament play.

The worst decision ever made was Miami deciding to wallow around with the mediocre rather than staying in BigEast.

Comment From Drew
After a rough showing at the LBSU tourney two weeks ago, ASU responded nicely at the Suprise Classic, esp Sundays win over Oklahoma St. What are your thoughts on them moving forward?

Drew, I think the big key for the Sun Devils moving forward is finding out what to do about the weekend rotation. After the first three weeks, I'm inclined to think Ryan Burr might be better suited as a reliever, but we'll see how he does moving forward. ASU has a big weekend ahead with Tennessee coming to town.

VN Store

Back