Weekend Report - 3/2/14

vol66

GBO!!!
Staff member
Welp, I think you'll see it here first.

The Vols, going back to last year, have the longest winning streak in the country. 11 games.

WarrenNolan.com - 2014 College Baseball - Team Streaks and Statistics

That said, the teams we have faced so far this season have a combined record of 8-26 and UNLV is responsible for 6 of the 8 wins. Purdue and Appy have won 1 a piece and Quinnipiac has won none in 6 tries.

Notes regarding the Quinnipiac series:

Andy Cox was outstanding. Andy Cox has pitched well enough that he probably deserves to be starting...those are not my words but CDS' (paraphrased by me). CDS explained that it's nice to have a guy like Cox that can come in when one of the starters is having an off day. That strategy has worked well so far.

VJax really turned it around at the plate.

Johnny Youngblood can flat out fly around the base paths.

Kyle Serrano had his best outing of the season and there is still a massive amount of upside to be tapped.

Drake Owenby hasn't been as sharp as I would have hoped.

Today we didn't play as well as we have defensively, but the other two games, and the previous ones for that matter have been stellar.

Nick Williams has been better than solid in my opinion.

The team batting average is .317. The team ERA is 2.37...that's a big improvement from last year.

The La Salle Series

La Salle (1-9), got beat 20 to 10 today. At least one, maybe two guys from WCU hit for the cycle! :eek:hmy: Their RPI is 259. (edit...there were two,one of them, Aaron Attaway, a team mate of Andrew Lee this summer for the SLO Blues)

Dalton Saberhagen, Bret Marks (injury), Trevor Charpie, Eric Freeman, Tei Vanderford and Eric Martin (injury)...those guys have not made an appearance this year.

I expect we will see them, those not injured, during this series with La Salle. Hunter Martin was also slowed with an injury and we need to get him back.

O'Neil, Hollman and Faust started this weekend for LaSalle. This is why I expect to see Joey Ravert to start one of the games versus UT. He's the only pitcher that has a win, his ERA is 1.64. None of La Salle's other pitchers (min. 4 IP) are below 4.16. It's early so stats don't mean much but...

Ravert vs. St. Louis: 7.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO

Ravert last year:...tallied a 5.66 ERA on the mound, striking out 11 batters in 20.2 innings...

Brian Maher might be the other guy, but that's a straight up guess on my part.

As a team they are batting .241, three players over .300. The team ERA is 8.09...don't laugh, that's close to where we were last year.

Other than the above, I got zilch. I haven't seen La Salle in action.

Bonus Point

CDS has made it clear that we're going to see some of the guys that haven't got much playing time. I imagine he'll rest some more fielders and I'm nearly positive we'll see some new arms.

La Salle may not be USCe, but CDS won't likely abandon his game plan due to the ASU series.

I hope we don't have a melt down as fans should something negative happen. I hope we understand that there are 34 kids on the roster and they all are working hard to show what they can do.

Be angry, debate, etc...but I hope we can do it in a classy way. That said, I hope we kick some Explorers' A$$.

Proud of the team and coaches for the great start!

GBO!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
We need to start landing top instate baseball recruits instead of letting the go to Miss. St, Ole Miss, and Vandy.

And can anyone tell me the best website for high school baseball recruiting? Thanks.

From where this program was just 3 years ago I think we have made up some ground. Remember not to long ago nobody wanted to come here. The progress made has been significant.

We need to start landing top instate baseball recruits instead of letting the go to Miss. St, Ole Miss, and Vandy.

Actually, recruiting is day and night under Serrano vs Raleigh. Next years recruiting class was ranked 14th. Most of the recruiting class consisting of pitchers.

Actually, recruiting is day and night under Serrano vs Raleigh. Next years recruiting class was ranked 14th. Most of the recruiting class consisting of pitchers.

Awesome news. I just remember the Sheffield kids going to Vandy. Can you tell me where you see your rankings? :hi:

Hunter Martin will start tomorrow, Bret Marks will start on Wednesday. Neither will go very long, other guys will get a chance.

It is good news they are healthy.

I wouldn't be surprised to see VJax get a day off during the La Salle series and Johnathon Youngblood get a start.

I would be surprised if we didn't see Andrew Plunkett somewhere in the outfield, maybe for Price or Stewart.

Forrest Bramlett at the C spot.

Andrew Lee played 1B all summer, doubt it, but maybe. Maggio needs all the experience he can get, but it wouldn't hurt for Lee to get some swings...DH maybe?

Smart may get a day off too. Maddox could 3B, Moberg could 2B.

Just some thoughts...

I was off base when it came to the La Salle starters.

Tuesday: UT - RHP Hunter Martin (0-0, 0.00)
............LAS - LHP Freddy Andujar (0-3, 49.50

Wednesday: UT - RHP Bret Marks (0-0, 0.00)
.................LAS - LHP Jorge Jimenez (0-0, 13.53)

College Mailbag: Big Year In Tennessee - BaseballAmerica.com

We wrote about the Volunteers in Weekend Preview on Feb. 21, and the Vols have kept on winning since then. They are one of just two unbeaten teams in Division I (South Carolina is the other), although the sweep of UNLV was the only significant test they have faced. Tennessee swept a pair of overmatched opponents in their other two weekends—Purdue and Quinnipiac, who are a combined 1-13. The Southeastern Conference has 11 legitimate regional contenders—the eight teams who started out the year in our preseason Top 25, plus the two teams that moved into the Top 25 this week (Kentucky and Mississippi), plus Tennessee. It seems like a solid bet that nine of those teams will make regionals, but 10 would be unprecedented, and 11 will not happen. It’s hard to pronounce Tennessee as a regional team before conference play has even begun, but I do love their young talent, and I think they have a realistic chance to finish in the middle of the SEC pack and break into a regional.

VN Store

Back